Are we Hubbies a bit selfish on our Camping, Holiday, Excursions?

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 19:27
ThreadID: 107807 Views:2658 Replies:14 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Do they really enjoy where we are taking them,or just go along with it?
Do they have any say into camping site, and whats for dinner?..lol.

You pull into a free camp site,...set up, and can't help noticing the new beaut,,... set up the neighbour has, So off you toddle to join the ever increasing crowd, beer in
,hand to listen to the most educational topic on caravans and vehicles on the planet,

All of a sudden" Nice to meet you" better get back to the darling your looking after who is rather tired from the events of the day and has a meal ready, and "Not" really impressed when you blurt out how good this blokes outfit is and "that's what we need"

I have taken a few things for granted over time but as age creeps along you relize its got to be a 50/50 deal with most decisions......Will now hide under the deefer to dodge the flying missiles.

Cheers Axle

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 19:58

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 19:58
Axle

Men quite often, whether they like it or not, go shopping with women don't they ???

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 532584

Reply By: SDG - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:02

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:02
No idea. I'm single.
Does this make me lucky, or unlucky?
AnswerID: 532585

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:16

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:16
Both!....and goodluck for the future.

Axle.

FollowupID: 815871

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:08

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:08
Axle it’s quite simple.
There are such duties that are classed as women’s work and there are those that are classed as men’s work. One of a man’s jobs is to decide which is which.
AnswerID: 532586

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:13

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:13
Lol Dennis, You maybe right! but also a argument waiting to happen.

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 815870

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:35

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:35
I should have added - I’m most happy with the cook - she does a brilliant job
FollowupID: 815873

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:22

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:22
Axle,

You are clearly not treating you wife as well as I am treating mine.
My wife receive a brand new chain saw for our 40th wedding anniversary.
She received front and rear diff lockers for her birthday in the same year, and over the past few years has received at least half a dozen LXT Makita cordless tools.

I am clearly treating my wife better than a Queen. Prince Phillip has not bought Queen Elizabeth any of these items, I rest my case.

If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532589

Follow Up By: Member - Sanantone - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 05:33

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 05:33
I have to agree with Rob here.

I have just brought my wife a new caravan & Mitsubishi Triton to take on holiday.

All I got was a lousy fishing rod & I get to choose the destinations of our trips.

Life can be so unfair to us mere males.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 815882

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:35

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 20:35
Axle
I see this is another of your probing one liners.

The notion that women like travel is true, they do, but they don't. It is hard to tell which is what when. So many factor affect the outcome.
My personal number plate reads, MYFOLT.

50/50 decisions are a teriffic thing but for one reason, if she suddenly decides she is tired or something hasn't happened as expected then the 50/50 decision is all one way. 100% MYFOLT. (Too big for a number plate)
The situation is closely related to the value of Brownie Points, which when accrued, are radio active and have a half life. They only last half of the time you though (at a stretch) they might last.

If you haven't got any reward or satisfaction within the hour they halve in value every 10 minutes after that. So, much worse that radioactivity.
AnswerID: 532591

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 22:42

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 22:42
That's my vote for post of the year!!!

ROFLMAO
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 815877

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:43

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:43
Ross, you now have me seriously down in the dumps. I knew there was a problem with accumulated brownie points not being there when you needed them and never knew what happened to them, but i guess i was just too dump to realise the radio active phenonama.
Am I correct then that it isn't worth the effort to accumlate them in the first place.
FollowupID: 815894

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 12:54

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 12:54
Des Lexic
I used to have a large jar for storage of said points ie, "a banked amount", but now any I have been able to accrue are kept in a Eclipse Mint Tin.
It is easily held in the hand and since the contents disappear, the load of carrying a small amount of nothing much is the same as a large nothing.

Mostly, I find the tin to be empty so, similar to you I am left with the volatility but no points to use.
The creation of points is logarithmic, as soon as you start, the steepness of the effort slope increases at a rate faster than a human can possibly achieve.
If men were smarter they wouldn't try and make the effort in the first place as you already know.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's of to work we go. Dunno why.
No I'm not Grumpy, maybe Dopey.
FollowupID: 815900

Reply By: mikehzz - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 22:38

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 22:38
My wife's idea of camping is a motel with only 3 stars. Consequently we have to be a little cashed up to cater for it and that restricts her ability to holiday. I can go away on my own for a week in the bush for the cost of a few tanks of fuel. I hate holidays in places that charge an arm and a leg but I force myself to go with her just to do the right thing. She hates roughing it and won't force herself to come with me. My conscience is clear.
AnswerID: 532596

Reply By: Member - Chris and Lindsay (VI - Friday, May 16, 2014 at 23:35

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 23:35
I am female and love camping. My hubby and I have always worked as a team so tent up and meals cooked etc are done as we each contribute at the time. Must be doing something right as this has been the case for 30 plus years. I must admit we didn't enjoy it as much when there were babies to look after.
Chris
AnswerID: 532598

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:14

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:14
Hi Chris,
I'm another female who is happy to be myself rather than the "conventional?" image that some men seem to hold. Like you, John and I have learned over the past 50 years to work as a team, and we have both gained tremendous satisfaction from our combined efforts. This includes everything to do with camping, from the initial planning, driving, navigation, setting up camp and all the rest. At other times its been building houses, fixing vehicles, running a small rural property through to cooking, housework and so on. And we passed those values onto our 3 sons.

I think (hope?) Axle's post was meant to be a bit "tongue in cheek" but sadly when travelling you do meet a fair few women who fit the picture Axle paints. I think though they are mostly travelling in caravans or motorhomes. Women who go camping (in tents and camper trailers)do seem to be rather more flexible/capable/aware. We have met young families on extended camping trips and they seem very happy with both parents sharing the business of living. Thank goodness for variety!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815893

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 13:18

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 13:18
I'm with you Chris, love the camping and 4wd. This last 12 months we have done 8 weeks around the NT and just got back from 3 weeks vic high country. My hubby does a lot of the cooking (though I say what we are having) and always makes the tea in the morning. Sometimes I have to work on him for a share of the driving, and he is the master of the reversing technique, but we share most of the camp chores very happily. I usually do all the navigating, and choose the route and destinations. He is probably more concerned about his comforts than I am, lol..

Cheers

Lisa
FollowupID: 815901

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 20:49

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 20:49
I have had partners that "loved camping"
.... until you actually go camping ... its the old bait asnd switch.
FollowupID: 815924

Reply By: 489 - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 07:03

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 07:03
yep my cook is ok on the travelling. I pick a destination and route where she has not been and she says ok . We both share the duties, BUT I do most of the cooking whilst away as she cooks at home - no problems for me. She does not mind camping in a tent on the ground even though we have a rtt. When we travel light for o/night we take the 2 swags - one each as she gets a better nights sleep. Oh buy the way she is 64yrs of age and still loves camping. On a long trip of months we shout ourselves a cabin in a caravan park to do all the washing and re-stock

Great missus Garry/Judy
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532604

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:06

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:06
I am female and love camping and 4 wheel driving - I grew up doing it. My problem is that my husband doesn't. I have taken the kids camping without him a few times with extended family which is great but have to admit that when it is just me and the kids by ourselves I feel a bit vulnerable, so don't do it as often as what I would like.
Even when hubby does get dragged along, it is always me that gets the camper ready, packs everything and then unpacks everything and cleans the camper when we return home. Of course I can also set the camper up and pack it up by myself while wrangling two kids, the youngest of which is 2 years old.
We have a great camper trailer that sadly spends most of its time sitting in the shed.
So it's not always men preferring to go camping than women!!!
Leanne
AnswerID: 532608

Follow Up By: Member - Chris and Lindsay (VI - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:26

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:26
Great post Leanne,
Too many stereotypes in this world. My sister has the same issue with her hubby. She adores the bush but he likes his home comforts.
Chris
FollowupID: 815888

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:56

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:56
Spot on about the stereotypes, Chris. They poke their heads up here all too often.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 815891

Follow Up By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 11:35

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 11:35
Chris, perhaps your sister and I should go on a trip together!

It is a dream of mine to take the kids on a trip around oz, but may have to trade the camper in on a caravan for that one to make life a bit easier.

Val, I totally agree about the stereotypes. Not all eggs fit into the same basket! It never ceases to amaze me the looks I get when towing the camper or the horse float and reversing them to park or to manoeuvre......it is as though females shouldn't know how to do that!

Leanne
FollowupID: 815896

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 15:43

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 15:43
And i thought stereotypes were the ones who fitted mono subs into their dual cab utes.
FollowupID: 815906

Reply By: OBJ - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:09

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:09
I think you have just answered your own question if that is how you do it.
Instead of posting it here, why not ask your other half?
AnswerID: 532609

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:37

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:37
Axle.....................you have been self blinded for quite some time..............you have finally seen the light......................you have much to make up for..............its time for some real lov'in for your wife.

I think the 50/50 is a under estimate...................it needs to be 100/100!
AnswerID: 532612

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:41

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 09:41
My old man showed how to cook, I showed all my kids how to cook.

You're missing out fella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 815889

Reply By: Member - Russler - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:13

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:13
My missus has decided that she no longer enjoys 4WDing, camping and touring. The world is my oyster (but the oyster doesn't shine quite as well as it did).
AnswerID: 532616

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:59

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 10:59
Speak for yourself!......Id be the one preparing dinner, not the Mrs.....she does the dishes. LOL
AnswerID: 532617

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 17:13

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 17:13
Hi. We have met several women travelling on their own because their husbands wanted to stop home with the animals birds etc. We say that is great, keep travelling and enjoy the scenery, meeting new people. My partner of 13 years loves seeing the outback, dirt roads and everything that goes with it. The only thing I have to do is the driving, checking the maps and where we are going, she does the cooking because she does not like mine. We have done 42,000 kms since leaving home 10 months ago. Enjoy your travels.
AnswerID: 532640

Sponsored Links