build a caravan

Submitted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 19:59
ThreadID: 107833 Views:3042 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm new today. Does anyone know what caravan walls are made of. I here polypropylene (plastic?) is light weight, it must have another name and where can I get it or info on it. Thanks Tong
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 20:08

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 20:08
Mine is made of ply wood laminated with fiberglass on the outside and veneer on the inside.

Others are a steel of wood frame with laminate on the inside and aluminum on the outside.

Probably other methods as well.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 532712

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 20:25

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 20:25
It wouldn't be polypropylene, it may be foamed polystyrene for the insulation between either timber veneer for the inside and aluminium cladding outside. Or some have fibreglass on the outside and foamed styrene, sandwiched in the middle with ply veneer on the inside. Michael. You can buy the sandwiched sheets complete, just install! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532714

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 02:48

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 02:48
The material you are thinking about is called Monopan. It is a sandwich panel consisting of polypropylene skins and a polypropylene honeycomb core.
It is light and very tough.
It has been used for caravans. Special construction techniques are needed, but they are not a problem to learn or use.
Personally I would not use it for a caravan because it is not as good in insulation as other alternatives. It is also translucent which is a bit interesting.

I would suggest a fibreglass / closed cell polyurethane foam sandwich panel like that made by Vanglas in Yandina, Queensland. This is the material I used to build the camper section of our OKA 10 years ago. Expensive, but stunning stuff.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.

AnswerID: 532732

Reply By: Off-track - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 09:59

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 09:59
Have a look at myswag.org as there have been some cracker caravan builds.
AnswerID: 532743

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 10:02

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 10:02
When was the last time you had a wheelie bin fail...... there made out of polypropylene and get treated a bit more rougher then most caravans.

Don't do to much studying as it will only confuse you...... and if it wasn't any good nobody would be using it.

Polypropylene and polyethylene are one of the widest used man made materials around and used in a wide range of everyday products.
AnswerID: 532744

Sponsored Links