Alcohol Free Towns

Submitted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 20:37
ThreadID: 107834 Views:2211 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but where can I find out which towns are alcohol free and secondly what does that mean? Can you drink in the privacy of your own van or are you not to have any alcohol in the vehicle/van? I guess the other query is if only passing thru and not camping is the law different?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 21:42

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 21:42
Hi Graham

MM sent

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532720

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 06:34

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 06:34
Depends on which state you are travelling in. Refer to the states land council areas, tourist info sites or your best

Don't ignore the laws, because if caught a hefty fine can follow.

As the laws change from time to time I wouldn,t rely on answers from here UNLESS the person is speaking from very recent experience.
AnswerID: 532733

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:43

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:43
Our experience has been (and please don't take this advice as gospel), as long as you

a) store it in a secure place and keep it well out of sight (ie: no indication you have alcohol stored) and
b) don't intend staying or camping in the vicinity of the locale / community ( that is pass through)

it's never been an issue, however the "if in doubt then don't" rule should apply. We've passed through numerous communities and have made sure any grog is stored securely and well out of sight and never had an issue. However, if you plan to visit/stay then I would expect you could or will be asked the question.

Short answer - use common sense.

AnswerID: 532755

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:50

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:50
As a follow up, I suspect the law in most cases doesn't make a difference, however if you're just stopping for fuel and a few essential supplies and then moving on, then I don't think anyone is really interested in rigorously enforcing the rule.

* caveat: the above is personal opinion / observation and in no way should be construed as advocating anyone break the law - before I get flamed ....
FollowupID: 816059

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 13:59

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 13:59
Sign from outside Finke community.... interesting note:

"It is not an offence to directly transport unopened liquor through a Prescribed Area provided you can clearly demonstrate your destination is outside the Prescribed Area"

FollowupID: 816064

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 19:08

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 19:08
As Scott says "use common sense" Remember it is a privilege we are granted permission to travel on aboriginal lands not a right, even though many believe it should be. We therefore travel under their rules and if the traditional owners believe it is causing them a problem they will simply shut the roads, possibly forever. We know alcohol is a problem in some communities and we must not do anything that makes it harder for them to fix their problem.
It is my understanding, but I am not positive, that no one has the authority to search you vehicle except the police and even then, I believe they must have just cause. Make sure that no one has just cause to call the police.
Having said that, if a community was having a problem with alcohol you could find the police stopping ALL traffic and searching for alcohol. Under these circumstances the police do have just cause, you would have to be unlucky, but it could happen. Your call.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 816075

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 20:52

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 20:52
In East Arnhem land police can stop anyone when ever they feel like it for grog searches. You are allowed to carry alcohol thru a prohibited area so long as the bottle/can/container is unopened and your destination is a non prescribed area. You are not allowed to camp whilst travelling thru areas that restrictions apply. This means that if you had a half full bottle of wine in your possession you could be in strife. Not only local cops but fed cops can and will stop you. Have been pulled over and asked various questions by the cops doing their job. As I have been in a work vehicle I have had no problems as I don't carry grog in the car. If you cant go a few days without grog and decide to risk it...the fine and embarrassment will be justly deserved. Grog in these areas has and is still causing huge social problems. Don't be part of it.
FollowupID: 816085

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)