Comment: Holland Track

G'day, Im planning my trip across the holland track for mid June. I'm keen to get a bit wet and muddy...... has anyone done the track at this time of year before? I've got a solid old patrol and a mate of mine is dragging along his troopy. I read everywhere that in the worst spots there is always a way around, we've got plenty of snatchies and a winch. Currently on the mission of preparing our trucks. Any feedback will be appreciated, just wanting to hear what others say about this track.
Cheers
Benny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 09:58

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 09:58
Hi Benny,

You will win very few friends by indicating your intention to tear up the track.
If you are "keen to get a bit wet and muddy then join a mud comp.
Please don't spoil the trip for others.
Make sure that you have an alternate plan in case the track is closed, which does happen in June.
Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 532742

Follow Up By: Benjabogo - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:47

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:47
Ah, you may have misinterpreted my meaning of getting wet and muddy..... I merely mean I know it will be wet out there, but am keen to give the track a go anyways. I don't have a huge lift or big tires but I do have a massive urge for adventure and will definitely try to keep the track as good as possible. but will also have a plan B.
FollowupID: 816057

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 12:37

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 12:37
You are correct... I may have, however.

Quote...." we've got plenty of snatchies and a winch. "

Go figure.

We have had Compact 4WDs through there too and when the conditions were really bad, we left the track.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 816061

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 14:32

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 14:32
Right on Wayne, and the silly way the post has been written implies its a chew up the track trip.
FollowupID: 816065

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 11:40

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 11:40
Hi Rod,

Hopefully we will bump into each other out in the wilds, sometime soon.

Benny,

It is a(n) historical track that you are about to traverse.

Please respect it for that.

P.S. If after this you are still keen to get "wet & muddy" ....................................... JOIN A MUD COMP!!!!!

Thirteen trips over a number of years along "The Track" have not sated our thirst for the area.

DO NOT infringe on our (& others) love for the area.

Cheers.
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 816114

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 13:56

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 13:56
Hi Benny, hope you have a great time, we did. Don't take the negative mob to heart , I think some over anal ise to much, Maybe we should start a campaign to ban all winches an snatch straps as someone could use them to damage a track somewhere.

FollowupID: 816181

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, May 26, 2014 at 23:42

Monday, May 26, 2014 at 23:42
Hi Ian,

A heavy work schedule and a little time away have delayed my reply.
Included with this, I have tried to fathom the unfortunate splitting of the word "Analise" in your follow up. I can't seem to work out how your post split it into .... anal ise. As follows ...Hi Benny, hope you have a great time, we did. Don't take the negative mob to heart , I think some over anal ise to much....
With respect Ian,
if you and Bennie attended one of Jerremy's tag-a-long tours and with Bennie drooling over the need to "get wet and muddy", along with his Quote... "we've got plenty of snatchies and a winch"......
We believe that Jeremy would have a quiet word with BOTH OF YOU.
Why?? To spell out the simple fact that instructors (like he & us) do our level best to (try and) promote responsible 4WDing and to maintain access to areas for ALL 4WDers ....... whether they deserve it or not.

Ian, your call from here......and you can ask Jan & Jeremy on THEIR view.

Waiting on your answer.

Cheers,

Wayne & Sally.

FollowupID: 816553

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 00:05

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 00:05
Still waiting.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 816694

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 11:08

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 11:08
Just back myself Wayn,

There seems to be a creeping tendency in the forum of some to look negatively, nay to delight in trying to find the negative in peoples posts. I have been a member for many many years and have seen this only in the last 2 and mainly by non members.

If your on the Holland track and receive 5mm of rain I would suggest you WILL become wet and muddy. If he had suggested he was going to do the track at that time of the year without snatch straps and a winch, can you imagine the moaning about irresponsible 4wd’s going out without correct preparation.

Lets be clear, YOU have chosen to interpret in a negative light.

If Jan & Jeremy have similar views to yourself you can be assured I would have less than no interest in talking to them at all.

“Still Waiting” I think Sheela had the best response to this
FollowupID: 816716

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 00:31

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 00:31
Hi Ian,

My apologies for the delay in reply.

For a number of reasons.

1/ Work hours.

2/ Trying to work out the underlying phylosophy behind your reply.

3/ TRYING to work out why YOU would encourage someone to go forth and cut loose on an (or ANY) Historic Track??

From here, we will agree to disagree.

Though we do find one of your arguements very laughable....

Quote .....
"If your (SIC) on the Holland track and receive 5mm of rain I would suggest you WILL become wet and muddy. If he had suggested he was going to do the track at that time of the year without snatch straps and a winch, can you imagine the moaning about irresponsible 4wd’s going out without correct preparation.
END YOUR RANT. End Quote.

Yes Ian, if it rained while I/we were out on the track - we would expect to "GET WET AND MUDDY" ................................................. this is a result of us BEING OUT THERE!!

NOT AN INTENDED OUTCOME of the OP's post.

Go figure.

FollowupID: 817544

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 10:55

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 10:55
We are doing the Holland track in September I hope you don't spoil our enjoyment of this great track.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532751

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:05

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 11:05
I can remember doing 'Most' of the Holland Track in in the early 70's in either an International ute or a HT Holden ute.

But that was WAYYYYY before some 4WD'ers decided they'd chew it up as much as possible .

I wouldn't like to think what the condition is now that some ..........."s just love to rip it all up in the name of ""FUN""

Me

FollowupID: 816052

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 12:00

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 12:00
Well let me say, I did it over Easter and found many large old bog holes, obviously caused by people wanting to get wet and muddy. I also noted too many people on different radio channels so be aware as there are many single lane sections where visibility is zero.
FollowupID: 816060

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, May 19, 2014 at 14:47

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 14:47
We did it over the Anzac Day weekend and we encountered drizzly rain for 3 of the 4 days of our trip.Holland Track portion was 2 &1/2 days. Even with just a little bit of rain the track was starting to get quite muddy in places. The bog holes that you read about in places are very deep and to make matters worse the 'chicken' track may be directly along side the bog hole. So if the big hole is full to the brim and the chicken track is also inundated you could find yourself in deep @#$%^.

It is definitely not worth wrecking the track just to get a filthy car.

Also you need to note that if they get any decent rain out that way the Hyden Norseman Road will be closed and the fine for driving it when closed would well and truly spoil your day.

A few years back I organised an EO trip on the track and when we arrived in Hyden water was cascading down Wave Rock and looking to the north east all we saw was water. Watching the weather maps before leaving on the trip did not suggest anything like what we encountered. We ended up turning south and doing the Holland Way which I'm glad we did.

My advice wait until the October LWE.

Cheers

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 532768

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 05:51

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 05:51

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 532802

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 11:46

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 11:46
Hi Pete & Margaret.
Thanks for your images ... it is one of our most favourite tracks.
I/we can't wait to be out there again.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
FollowupID: 816115

Follow Up By: Mike S2 - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:15

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:15
Hi guys,how suitable is the track for c/trailer,looking at these pics if an oka can get thru size wise then I would think a c/t would be no probs,regs,Mike.
FollowupID: 816153

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:53

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:53
Mike s2,

We went up the track coming off the Hyden Norseman road in 2011 towing a Jayco dove offroad.

The pics above show the nice clear sections.

The drive in from the H/N road to Wattle rocks took us about 4 + hours.

At times we were frequently travelling at around 10kph, with about 200 ~ 300mm clearance either side of the van. It was a S-L-O-W drive in.

Next day we continued on.

Be prepared for scratches to your vehicle.

having said that it was doable, just take it easy where you have to.

Tony

Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 816352

Reply By: MarkJL97 - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 15:41

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 15:41
Hi Benny,

We completed the track over the WA day weekend. Stock standard Ford courier 4wd ute. Didn't use 4wd at all. No winch and no snatch strap. Great fun and enjoyable trip. Plenty of wet spots and bog holes that some have had fun in but always a way around if needed.
Have a great time.
AnswerID: 533663

Sponsored Links