Up North WA

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2014 at 19:24
ThreadID: 107849 Views:1990 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are heading up north WA end july for 3 weeks taking the caravan and boat, we were thinking of Onslow but have heard that the caravan park is not that great, can any one give us some great places to go. Need places after Ningaloo as the other option for us is to go back to yardi creek. would love to hear from any one. We love to fish.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 14:53

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 14:53
Hi Janet. There is a camp spot in Camps 6 at Three Mile Pool but no showers or toilets. It is 36 kms south of Onslow. I have no idea what it is like as I have not been there yet. I don,t know if you can launch a boat there. I was told yesterday at Geraldton the caravan park at Onslow is charging $450 a week to stop there in a tent as there are many workers in the area. We took it that she meant that you had to supply the tent. We will probably drive into Onslow to look but will not stop there at that price. Have a good trip and enjoy yourselves.
AnswerID: 532818

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 15:26

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 15:26
The regulars used to book the same spot every year for their Winter break from the weather down south.
But the huge influx of miners etc soon saw the parks get rid of them as there was more money to be had with the workers.
You could try along the Ashburton River just out of Onslow as it used to be nice but I suspect there's a major road running alongside it now going to the Wheat stone project.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 816123

Reply By: Member - Neil G (VIC) - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 16:39

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 16:39
Hi Janet,
We wouldn't recommend Onslow, beach isn't nice and there is nothing there. Further south there is Coral Bay and Point Quobba, depending on what type of camping you like to do. Denham which is really nice and if you have a 4WD a day trip to Francois Perron National Park is highly recommended. We saw Dugongs and Manta Rays and caught a flathead there, the scenery is stunning.Kalbarri area is lovely, we stayed at Red Bluff. Just north of Geraldton, Coronation Beach is a quiet spot. Hope this helps, have fun, Neil & Liz.

AnswerID: 532824

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:45

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:45
Hi, Onslow Motor camp full of Wheatstone contractors etc. There is a huge LNG construction site about 30km away from it. (No miners)
Ashburton river should be Ok as Wheatstone has it's own access roads now and does not use the Old Onslow road.It's been very wet up here...drying out now..but be prepared for midges and maybe mozzies. I've just had another Midge attack..little sods. Not much here...worth a few hours to look around and that's it. Some of my work colleagues launch a 5 metre tinny at the Ashburton on their RDO and do very well...muddies, fish and crays.
Cheers Witi
AnswerID: 532846

Sponsored Links