New Prado Bull Bar drama

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 16:43
ThreadID: 10785 Views:17095 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased the new Prado and am very happy with it. But the factory fitted Toyota Sovereign Alloy Bull Bar complete with winch just cannot seem to fit properly no matter what they try. They have even replaced it with another bull bar and this one fits worse than the original! Does anybody else have this problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 17:29

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 17:29
I assume that they have fitted the winch cradle kit to suit the Sovereign bar. they are a bit tricky to fit I beleive but they do fit OK if you know what you are doing. Also that comment is in regard to the 9000lb winch.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 48060

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 20:01

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 20:01
Go an ECB bar, they are the only way to make a new Playdoe uglier!
AnswerID: 48078

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 23:09

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 23:09
You really don't like 'em eh!Playdoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 310040

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:16

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:16
Playdoe makes ME look like a supermodel..

Nuff said!
FollowupID: 310154

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:24

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:24
No fit problems,but poor assembly by our local dealer.
Just completed 7 days in Vic High Country and one fog light fell out and was picked up by the rear of the convoy. The other very loose and not far behind.
So check that the little fixing screws at least need to have spring washers.
I will be seeing the dealer tomorrow.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 48255

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:10

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:10
Hi Joe,

Reading here and your post on 120scool I get the impression that while Toyota are producing a great product from the factory, it is the dealer fit items (air con, bullbar etc) that cause the problems.

That is a real shame. You hear stories of the 1st year appentice being given the job of fitting accessories and completely botching the job. I have recently read about:

- a snorkel fit where grommets were left off in drilled holes where the snorkel fits onto the air intake. What is the point of fitting a snorkel if water can get in here?

- cargo barrier fitted where the holes drilled for the brackets resulted in the drill impacting on the external skin requiring a sand and respray of the turret.

There was a long discussion of 120scool about local air-con fitting on GXL prados.

This may be apprentice problems where there is lack of supervision or guidance from the experienced personnel or it may be just the fact that the job was done late on a friday by a guy with 10 years service who is part the point of caring because he is not getting paid as much as the service manager who has never actually done any REAL mechanical work and has no credibility on the shop floor. It may just be the dealer trying to minimise costs and get the maximum number of jobs thru the shop every day.

My point is that we should not have to take pot luck with dealer services. I am quite sure that every vehicle leaves the Toyo factory in exactly the same state. It is what your local dealer does to it that determines if you are going to have a ripper vehicle or you are going to spend your life on the phone bitchin' and moanin'.

I will be trying to get the best performance I can from my dealer when my vehicle is delivered soon with a dealer fit bar and air-con. But how will I really know? I can't stand next to the guys in the shop and make sure they do a good job. Toyota (and other makers) take note, you may spend millions on quality assurance programs on the factory floor and use precision techniques and robots but that is not going to help if the guy at the local dealer leaves a spanner in the engine bay that gets sucked into the fanbelt! (another recent post).

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 310153

Reply By: Joe - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:41

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:41
Hi Steven,
I had typed a very long reply, and the line dropped out and then Discover Oz gave me a not logged on message and lost the email.

So I am just going to say your sure are right.

Worksop staff often do not have a good work ethic and it is up to managers to provise leadership and systems.

My experience at the dealers highlighted that they have trouble coping with the most basic tasks and getting them right....Self tappers not secured, wrong size tapper for hole, tow plug fitted below bumber line,etc.
I will be getting future services done at small workshop where the owner has one employee and high level of control.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 48509

Reply By: perf - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:34

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:34
If you are talking about the gaps between the bar and the wheel arch then they are probably about as good as it gets . I have a 120 series as well and fitted the sovereign bull bar and warn 9000 winch my self. I had heard the stories and witnessed the atrocities of dealer fitted accessories. These bars are a real pain the a*se to fit, toyota allows over 6 hours fitting time. The trouble is the bar is designed to fit with and without the winch, but when you fit the winch cradle which is 6mm thick it pushes the whole bar further out from the vehicle resulting in the gaps. I mucked around for hours trying to get it right and settled with fairly large gaps all round bteween the grill and headlights and the guards it measures about 14mm but this gives good clearance should there be some chassis twist at times. alos the bar is a three piece plus the top rail which is another three pieces, you really have to loosen all the pieces and adjust to fit. I guess at the end of the day what the problem is that the bar really takes about 10 hours to fit properly and just cant be done in 6 well not the first time anyway. great vehicle but!!
AnswerID: 49238

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:26

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 16:26
Have heard that the gap on the guard liner can lead to water being splashed directly into the standard airbox intake, resulting in dead engine. Anyone confirm this ?? if so interesting warranty claims coming up!!!
AnswerID: 49283

Sponsored Links