"Grasshopper' tourists !!

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 16:10
ThreadID: 107861 Views:2394 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are currently doing our bit as Visiting Volunteers at Milparinka (Corner Country of NSW). The area oozes history with Sturt coming through and getting drought marooned here in 1845. The story of the goldfields around 1880 and the establishment and heritage of the country. And all this was before Rasp found a bit of tin at Broken Hill!!

What amazes us is the people who drive into the ‘town’, some do get out of their vehicles, take a few photos then off in a cloud of dust. We feel so sorry for those ‘time poor’ mortals who haven’t got time to smell the roses, or appreciate this great country. I call them grasshoppers- hopping from one place to the next. There was a bloke last week- from a SW Sydney 4WD club - didn’t even stop. He drove down the street did a u-turn and off, wheels didn’t stop turning !

We do ask for a small donation entry fee for access into the Heritage Precinct. This helps with the maintenance of the 130 year old restored buildings, and the possible salvaging of a couple of other important structures. For that fee, visitors are offered a cuppa, an informative guided tour of the area, free mudmaps of Sturts locations and the town, a sheet of the history and a few momentos of their visit. It’s almost a joke when they say they can’t afford it as they hop back into the $50000 vehicle towing a $120000 van. Just maybe they can’t afford it ?? The fee- $8 double, $5 single.

Fortunately there are still a few interested and interesting visitors who do appreciate what is around the country, and do recognize the value of what this great land has to offer. Not necessarily more sophisticated or financially secure- just fair dinkum people out here taking it all in.

If you’re out this way, please call in and spend a bit of time. The 'town' is open from March to October- manned by volunteers. I’m sure you will leave with a better perspective of the life and times here. Yes, the Albert Pub has reopened. Drinks are cold and the tucker is excellent.

See ya
Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:52

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 20:52
Hullo wombat100
Good on you for volunteering at Milparinka. It's people such as yourselves that add that extra value with background information shared with a genuine sense of giving something to the community of travellers.
We were there in August 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed the visit - spent about two hours in the town on a self guided tour and then explored Depot Glen, Poole's grave site and Mt Poole.
With respect to your comment about "grasshoppers", I guess it is a case of different strokes for different folks. Some are on a time budget, rushing from place to place and ticking off the boxes. Others have more time and interest and linger to absorb more than just the view and a cursory quick look. Depot Glen had, for us at least, plenty of vibes and it did not take much to imagine what it must have been like to be stuck there for so many months - compounded by the desolate view north from Mt Poole.
I hope that on balance you find the experience a positive one and worth the effort, time and expense.
Thanks
Andrew
AnswerID: 532848

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:58

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:58
Well said Andrew, you described our situation exactly.
We can and do smell the roses, but can only afford the time to do so at our chosen destination.
When we become grey nomads that will change, but currently TIME is our biggest hurdle.
CJ
FollowupID: 816160

Reply By: BarryR1 - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 22:22

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 22:22
Wombat, an interesting aside and very much appreciate what you do, this being the year of the volunteer after all. Maybe its a sense of entitlement that comes with living in Oz, the feeling that the country is ours to enjoy and our hard earned $, ours to spend.

"Grasshoppering" could almost be considered what you've just done on a commercial forum to advertise a business like the Milparinka hotel (are you managing that by the way?). Actually its probably more like whiteanting.

Other tourist and seasonal businesses like roadhouses and tourist stays at least maintain a membership of this site to, support the site and keep it the great resource it is. It's a bit hypocritical of you to criticise others while engaging in the same conduct yourself.

AnswerID: 532856

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:29

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:29
A little harsh, maybe?

FollowupID: 816157

Follow Up By: wombat100 - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 10:29

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 10:29
Hi Barry
I really hope you are joking with your response.
No- we have no interest (apart from grateful patrons) at the pub.
We are fully unpaid volunteers. We pay our own expenses to come out here (we are from near Sydney). We work here purely to keep the heritage of the place as alive as we can. It does cost us a lot of time and money to be here. BUT WE LOVE IT !!!!
We don't get, or seek, any cudos- and our only reward is seeing people leave this place with a better understanding and being grateful for our attendance.
Maybe if you have a couple of weeks to spare you may like to try doing a Visiting Volunteer here or some other similar area.
See ya
FollowupID: 816166

Follow Up By: silvwayne - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 04:53

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 04:53
I agee with the bit harsh comment. There many posters recommend caravan parks and places to eat on here. Milparinka is one of my favorite places. How much longer are you there Wombat. We are heading that way in two weeks.

Wayne
FollowupID: 816236

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 08:54

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 08:54
Thank you wombat for bringing to our attention all there is to do at Milparinka. It is a very interesting piece of Australias' history and I appreciate the effort that volunteers such as yourself give to help maintain such places. It is a pity that some people who travel this great land have no idea of what they actually travel through or the history of it, it would be nice if they slowed down a bit. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 532874

Reply By: Member - BrisVegas - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:13

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:13
Sounds like an interesting place. I'll try to find time to visit as we grasshopper our way through the corner country in September. I only have two weeks off work to get out there and there's lots to see.
AnswerID: 532877

Reply By: Member - TowBall - Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:34

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 09:34
Hi Wombat100 - Thanks for bringing all that information to our attention, I can also see other posters points of view about Time & Money poor, but I would like to add that when we travelled last year ( 3 vans ) we made it a point to have a beer or soft drink at the pub of every town we stopped at. The people running them said that a lot of the touring public would come in, take photo's, use the dunnies & were gone.. some not even saying "hello". A lot of history is in them there walls.
Thanks again Wombat 100.
AnswerID: 532878

Sponsored Links