Outback Camping Spots Advice

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 22:22
ThreadID: 107883 Views:2132 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

In the planning process for an outback trip in July and just need some advise please.

On one particular day I am planning on driving from Montecollina Bore out to Cameron Corner and stay for the night as I think it will be too far to get up to Innamincka in a day.

That being the case do we stay at Cameron Corner or is there any better options (eg. Merty Merty)?

From here I'm hoping to get up to Coongie Lakes via Innamincka.

A bit later in our trip we will be heading up the Oodnadatta Track and I'm tossing up between camping at the Peake Ruins or the Algebuckina Bridge/Waterhole.

One factor that might come into this is whether there is water in the waterhole that we could use for showers etc.

Thanks in advance, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mchapo - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:20

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 11:20
Mate, Montecollina Bore to Innamincka is very doable in an easy days drive, you would be going way out of your way via Cameron Corner, unless of cause you want to go to the Corner as part of your trip then I would camp at the Corner, good facilities and Fen is a good bloke.
AnswerID: 532941

Follow Up By: Member - Lloyd W1 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 21:55

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 21:55
We were planning on heading out to Cameron Corner so looks like we'll spend the night there and head up to Coongie Lakes via Innamincka the next day
FollowupID: 816296

Reply By: The Bunyip - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 13:50

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 13:50
Lloyd,

Allow me to preface my reply by saying I've not actually been to Algebuckina Bridge, but over the past 2-3 months I've been doing lots of homework with a view to heading up that way.

Others may offer further comment on this but I've read online that as a result of Oddnadatta not being everyones "cup of tea", Algebuckina Bridge can at times be very busy with campers.

Have read the track to Peake Ruins isn't flash which naturally would deter some so I'd therefore expect it to be quieter. Either way I believe neither have even the most basic of services although as you mentioned at least Algebuckina has water!

Cheers & have a great trip.
AnswerID: 532953

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:46

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 14:46
Yes, easy drive . . . we came down recently, Old Strz to Merty Merty, Montecollina Bore for lunch :)

We then got to near Mt Fitton talc mine and a nice bush camp for that night (via turnoff just before Mt Hopeless station).

Algebuckina waterhole is the place to camp, not as camp friendly around the bridge side.
You could use the water for showering no probs, bucket up.
Would just need to find a good access point to dip the bucket.

You might like to consider Coward Springs for a night, the 'spa' and the donkey showers are great. Camping $12 a night.
Another free camping option is Beresford ruins, much nicer than Peake.
AnswerID: 532957

Follow Up By: Cheeky1 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 19:49

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 19:49
Agree with Les. Coward Springs is a great spot to camp. Algebuckina Bridge is good too - great for photos!
FollowupID: 816288

Follow Up By: Member - Lloyd W1 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 22:02

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 22:02
Thanks Les, I think we'll stay at the waterhole and go and look at the bridge.

Can you elaborate as to what you mean by "not as camp friendly"?
FollowupID: 816298

Follow Up By: Member - Lloyd W1 - Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 22:04

Thursday, May 22, 2014 at 22:04
Sorry, meant to say also that we will be spending a night at Coward Springs
FollowupID: 816299

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 07:10

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 07:10
Hi Lloyd . . . the bridge area is not as flat, very rutted etc, vehicles moving through most of the day to visit.
The waterhole (turnoff slightly south of the bridge access, a gate on the east side of the track) has nice flat camps dotting the bank, which is higher and plateau at the top.

We Stayed at Coward last trip (a month ago), did all the sights going up the Ood Tk (one of our party got bogged on Beresford access, very wet at the time), and made Eringa waterhole no problems, VERY nice spot to camp either side of the water.
Kidmans first property, the ruins are on the south side, good for a look.
FollowupID: 816310

Sponsored Links