COMMUNICATION IDEAS

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2014 at 08:00
ThreadID: 107905 Views:1560 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give us some guidance on what they have used ? Spot Connect? Garmin?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 08:26

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 08:26
Hi Rob

We use the following based on our own requirements…

HF Radio

For long range communications.

UHF

Both vehicle and portables for short-range communication.

Sat-phone

For more specific contact we might want to make.

Spot Tracker

I mostly use this for enabling friends to track our progress, but it has emergency features, and also the ability to send a short, predetermined message to an SMS or email. I find this useful for keeping people informed we are progressing okay...

PLB 406 Beacon

Have it in the vehicle in an emergency kit.

GPS

VMS X523 in car navigation (plus paper maps!)

The thing to bear in mind about communication devices is that there are many alternatives that should be seen as complimenting each other, rather than as one being better over the other.

We carry what we do as it gives us “redundancy” in case something fails when we need it to be working. The Murphy’s Law situation…

To assist in assessing the level of communications you need to take into account your personal circumstances. Based on the trip you have outlined in another thread you will find that you will have access to the normal Telstra network for quite a lot of it, but it shouldn’t be relied upon.

And bear in mind remote can mean you are still quite close to a major city or town.

Good luck with your planning and trip…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 532996

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 17:22

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 17:22
Agree with Baz
He seems to be along the same lines as I have

Good luck

Geoff
FollowupID: 816402

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 08:38

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 08:38
HF and UHF radio, Spot, for the reasons given above.
Cheers
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 532997

Reply By: Mick T3 - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 12:07

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 12:07
I'm a fool and take no communication devices in the bush. My phone stays dead unless I pass a secret Aboriginal community with a tower.

This dependence of myself alone stimulates the survival mode part of my mind and improves the whole experience. Hills, tracks, smoke, animals, sounds, water, care of vehicle: they all rise in importance.

There is a balance between sensible travel with all the equipment, especially if you're old as buggery, and being unprepared.
AnswerID: 533015

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 15:41

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 15:41
1. UHF on channel 40 or the specified road channel for close range communication with other traffic.

2. Computer for most communications (family, friends, business) when in a Next G area. Emails can be prepared, then sent by stopping in a town during the day.

3. Satellite phone for emergency communications when in remote areas.

Plenty of recent threads on these.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 533036

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, May 26, 2014 at 09:50

Monday, May 26, 2014 at 09:50
Yep; work out your possible needs. On foot or on wheels. Solo or not. Does your partner need to be across the tech as well? What works for them.

I carry a satphone when we're outback driving and have taught my +1 how to use it. This gives max flexibility. When I'm ski touring solo I carry a Spot Messenger. This is lightweight and someone is organised to raise the alarm if the daily check-in is missed.

As for going remote without emergency comms, that's a good way of getting cursed to hell by police or S&R if they've got to mount a search.
AnswerID: 533177

Sponsored Links