Offroad Quantum or Kimberley Karavan

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2014 at 12:48
ThreadID: 107912 Views:16452 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I have finally narrowed my choice of camper with air conditioning to these two and would appreciate if any one can throw any further advice on one being better than the other .
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 13:23

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 13:23
BB,

Can't tell you much about the Quantum, other than that their owners like them :-)

But we have a 2007 Kimberley Karavan and we love it. Towing it with a 2007 diesel Prado, we do extensive outback and remote area touring, High Country and Alpine tracks and trails as well as simple week-ends away to our favourite nearby spots. Being only as wide as and high as the car with a roof rack, in confined spaces it fits where the car will fit.

If it has a disadvantage, it is that at 2200kg fully loaded it's a bit heavy, so you won't be pulling it up the steepest or slipperiest tracks and deep loose sand might be a challenge. But having said that, we've taken ours into some pretty adventurous places. Ground clearance, compliant but controlled suspension, towing stability - all first class in our experience.

Won't go on too much here - you will probably know a lot about what it has from your research. Email me at frankp79 at hotmail dot com if you want more info or have particular questions.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533021

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:21

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:21
Thank you for your honest opinion - I have a 200 series so the weight wont be a problem, although where I fish does involve some lengthy stretches of deep soft sand so I will have to take this into consideration.
Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 816346

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 17:04

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 17:04
Hi Frank/Bosun

The Quantum fully loaded is about the same weight as mentioned above...so don't expect it to be too much lighter - if at all.

Having said that we've had it on the beach heaps of times, and also tow with a 200. It follows in the same wheel tracks as the 200, so provided you let a little air out - no problems.

Chris

FollowupID: 816355

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 08:59

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 08:59
Thanks Chris for your follow up.
FollowupID: 816379

Reply By: Member - Peter G20 - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 14:29

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 14:29
Hi Bosun
We are on a trip around Oz at the moment and whilst in Ballina we called into the Kimberly factory and looked at the Karavan models being built.
They are so much more than a caravan when you see them with their panels off!
So much gadgetry and electronics it's really scary and they are so labour intensive to build, hence the price!
The latest ones are dispensing with the roof top air conditioner and that's good as it means their roof height is lower and will fit under most car ports.
From memory the AC is under the floor which is quieter and more efficient.

The only criticism we could see was there is not a lot of storage space for your clothes.

We have seen quite a few camped in national parks in Tassie and the odd one of two in caravan parks in QLD.I think they are really good products will last a life time.

We would like to buy one as we have found our hard floor camper trailer being not too comfortable in cold wet weather which we are experiencing in Vic and NSW.

We liked the Quantam too but the Kimberly has the advantage of better resale values and it folds down into its self with the press of a button making it better for towing and storing at home.

Cheers

Pete
AnswerID: 533026

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:28

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:28
Thanks Pete,
I did check out the Karavan at last years show in Perth and the split system a/c did impress as I think they are better in the tropics where I will be using it most, and quieter. I have not yet had a chance to eyeball the Quantum since it came on my radar but hope to chase one up shortly in my home town of Broome as the hordes of tourists arrive.

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 816348

Reply By: Member - iijmartin - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:04

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:04
Hi Bosun
Am currently travelling and have spoken to two separate travellers with Quantam off roaders. One couple have taken theirs to Cape York and loved it . Only small issue was wheel alignment as was scrubbing tyres. The other couple had a new one first trip. I liked the marine toilet system and ample water storage as well as black water disposal system. Thought they were well designed strong and had some innovative features. If I wanted this type of van I would buy this brand.
I gather u r in Broome but there was a recent yr model 2nd hand one in Dubbo NSW on caravancampingsales recently. Best of luck with yr choice
AnswerID: 533038

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:31

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:31
Thanks guys for your info - I am in Broome and hope to checkout a Quantum shortly.
Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 816349

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:17

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:17
Hi Bosun

We bought our Quantum in 2011, and have been to Cape York, Lawn Hill and many other places in between. I get more worried about the car than the camper, as it's built really well. To date I've had absolutely zero dust ingress, and it's been on some pretty horrible roads with lots of bulldust. Even the rivets are silicon sealed.

When I did my research, I also looked at the Kimberley, and while probably equally well built (from what I have heard from others) and about the same price, from my perspective, the Quantum was a nicer (aesthetically) place to be...and that's a big word for a Friday afternoon :) .

The only thing I would change on mine would be to add the Diesel heater...my rationale back then was that the reverse cycle a/c would do the job...I just didn't think it through properly in that it needs 240v to run. Although it runs off my 2Kva generator - I don't really like running that if I don't have to.

Just as an aside - the after sales service has also been fantastic - in fact I've not seen any better after sales service anywhere. At all...

So there you have it...I have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer!

Have fun whichever one you choose....

Chris
AnswerID: 533039

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:35

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:35
Thanks Chris,
I know they are only " camper trailers" but I would appreciate your feedback on the hanging and storage that the Quantum has.
Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 816350

Follow Up By: Member - Chris_K - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 17:23

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 17:23
Hi Tony

Hanging space is a little minimal in the Quantum, we use the stainless steel rails that you use to lift the roof, they work pretty well for towels and other stuff. You can also put coat hangers on them if you have lots to hang. We also use the space in the shower cubicle as hanging space...of course you need to then move it when you stop and need a shower. AOR would probably make you a hanging rack of some sort if you wanted something more permanent.

Other internal storage is really quite good - there is under-bed storage for stuff we don't use every day (long, wide and relatively shallow) then most of the internal storage is contained in the three storage drawers beside the shower. They hold quite a bit of stuff - for our clothes we have the less used stuff under the bed, and I share one of these drawers with my wife. Actually there's more of a 2/3 - 1/3 arrangement going on there - but for the sake of the argument, we "share" it. Under the drawers we use to store our shoes!

Externally, there is a slide out drawer on the drivers side that is quite huge, and we use that for a multitude of stuff, bulk food, annex stuff, pegs ropes etc. There is also a tool box on the front that is more used for our dirty stuff and the generator.

All up we fill up pretty much everything! Then again, the more space you have the more you take with you.

There is a recent review on the Camper Trailer Australia web site from early May this year...so that might be worth a look:

http://www.campertraileraustralia.com.au/reviews/campertrailer-reviews/1404/australian-off-road%E2%80%99s-quantum-camper-video-review/

Let me know if you need more info...

Chris
FollowupID: 816357

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 19:49

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 19:49
Cheers Chris,
Thanks for the extra info - that review is no longer up.
Tony
FollowupID: 816362

Follow Up By: LJME & LMG - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 23:04

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 23:04
The review is still able to be viewed via the AOR website - it's under "News" on the Home page.

http://www.australianoffroad.com.au/

We have a drawer each for clothes (sorry Chris!) and tend to roll the garments to pack them. Works well and there is plenty of space.

Initially we also did not consider the diesel heater but then it dawned on us that one of the reasons we were upgrading from our camper trailer was to be more protected from the elements. I'll never forget camping in the Flinders one year in July - at minus 5 degrees it was warmer inside the fridge than inside the camper trailer...

Have fun choosing!

Cheers
MG
FollowupID: 816369

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 08:57

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 08:57
Thanks MG for your input.
FollowupID: 816378

Reply By: LJME & LMG - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:20

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:20
They are both quality products so it probably comes down to how comfortable you feel with the layout and the manner in which you will use the camper.

We have had our AOR Quantum two and a half years now, of which we have spent about ten months travelling, with plenty of off road. We just love it. It is the same height and width as our tow vehicle, tracks very well and is simple to set up and use. Our preference is to cook outside as much as possible, so we wanted a quick roll out awning and a full slide out kitchen. I also prefer using gas rather than a diesel cooktop, but that is a personal issue.

AOR service and follow up is excellent - if you have specific questions, I would suggest you ask both Kimberley and AOR to give you access to their members forum. I found talking to owners very useful, particularly when deciding on the various options available.

cheers
MG
AnswerID: 533040

Follow Up By: LJME & LMG - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:24

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:24
And the diesel heater is wonderful - wouldn't be without it!
FollowupID: 816347

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:42

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 16:42
Thank you double L's,
I do go down to my old home state of Tassy for 3 months each year to escape the terrible part of the wet season heat and humidity, so I have found the comments on the diesel heater very interesting and something I had not factored in.
Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 816351

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 00:10

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 00:10
I have had a Quantum for 4 years now and bought it over the KK. The main reasons I went the Q were:
1. Could access the toilet while travelling without popping roof (great for wife while travelling).
2. Rollout awning is SO easy to put out. Great for a lunch time stop.
3. Full outside kitchen thats accessable with roof down - and covered by that awning.
4. Sleeps 4 (important for families)

These were 4 things that the KK didn't have. Both are great quality, but the Q suited me better. The resale of the Q is unreal, most have sold for about what they were purchased for, or more!

Other little things are like 4 bike rack that can double as a wood rack. And the great after-sales service. Worth getting access to the private AOR forum, it allows potential customers short term access to talk to actual owners.

As for a/c, I have this but its rarely used. If buying again I wouldn't bother. But the diesel heater gets used on many trips and is worth its weight in gold.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 533069

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 09:04

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 09:04
Thanks Captain,
After the great response I am tending towards having a close look at the Quantum because of not having to pop the top when having a quick travelling stop and we do have a couple of grand kids.
Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 816380

Reply By: tg123 - Monday, May 26, 2014 at 21:57

Monday, May 26, 2014 at 21:57
Another VERY happy Quantum owner here! Everything is simple without a heap of gadgetry to go wrong. Quite heavy but built extremely robustly, tows beautifully and is a treat to live in for extended periods. Would class it as a camper for 2 though - extras could get pretty squeezy.
Diesel heater is wonderful - minus 8 at Apsely Gorge last year!!! Don't have aircon - make do with a couple of Sirocco fans.
Mate had a Kimberely Karavan and whilst very smick and well finished I believe it has too many bits that can potentially go wrong. Awning needs to be attached prior to raising the roof (PITA if you change your mind), setting up the bed takes a bit of stuffing around and you need to erect stuff to enclose the shower area and then straddle the toilet to have a shower. Steps in and out are quite steep and a real potential for a trip (esp when a bit bleep !).
Anyway, good luck with whatever you purchase!!
Cheers
TG
AnswerID: 533206

Reply By: Bosun Broome - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 14:58

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 14:58
TG123,
Thanks for your reply - Ihave decided to go for the Quantum, I will now try to track down a late model that is for sale or likely to be in the future. No great rush but sooner the better and I would like to be in one by end of year and if not I will probably then buy new.
Cheers Bosun
AnswerID: 533386

Follow Up By: Bosun Broome - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 12:37

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 12:37
TG123
I just came across an old forum in 2011 when you said you thought you would go for the Eclipse over the Quantum. Did you go that way then upgraded to Quantum ?
Cheers Bosun
FollowupID: 816986

Reply By: toydriver - Sunday, Jun 01, 2014 at 15:13

Sunday, Jun 01, 2014 at 15:13
Just throwing a cat among the pigons.
But if you are considering a quantum have you looked at the exodus 14 from complete campsite.
There is actually 1 for sale at present on caravancamping site.

Very similar spec's.

Joes
AnswerID: 533552

Sponsored Links