Road Conditions Whitecliffs/Tibooburra/Cameron Corner/Thargomindah

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2014 at 20:26
ThreadID: 107920 Views:5215 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Journey 1.
I am wanting to tow a caravan from Maitland NSW to Wilcannia, then up to to White-cliffs, across country to link up to the Broken Hill/Tibooburra Highway, and from there to Camerons Corner? I was hoping to eliminate the need to go miles out of our way, with the normal sealed road trip from Wilcannia/Broken Hill/Tibooburra etc.

We are towing a Sterling Outback and Simplicity with a 200 series LC, and the usual bush camp add ons on both vehicles.

Journey 2.

After Cameron Corner, I would like to have the option of heading NW over to the Dig Tree, or travel NE over towards Thargomindah/Cloncurry etc.

Has any one done a trip of this nature? I would be grateful for any suggestions/ advice etc

Robert
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grant Tas - Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:51

Friday, May 23, 2014 at 22:51
Hi Robert,
We were out that way last Oct/ Nov. so things may have changed some what.
We have a LC 100 series GXV Turbo diesel and the van is a 21' Royal Flair off road.
Our first lot of unsealed roads was from Bourke to Wilcannia via Louth and Tilpa.
Average speed about 60 kmh , no problems in dry conditions.
Back on the black at Wilcannia to Broken Hill from there we went to Tibooburra .
We had a 40kph head wind all the way ,the road is sealed only in parts, very stoney ,road trains. We stayed over night at Packsaddle rest area about half up (nothing at the rest area).We left the van at Tibooburra van park and just took the car out toCameron Corner. The last 30 ks to the corner are corrugated, rough, sandy dunes and FYI- diesel at the corner was $2.20 per litre. Fuel up in B/ Hill. It's a great trip to the corner. From Tibooburra we went to Bourke the first 200 kms is Ok but from Wanaaring is corrugated , sandy average speed about 20-30 kph.
Just take your time
Hope this helps
Grant
AnswerID: 533068

Reply By: Member - Jim (Syd) - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 06:11

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 06:11
Although I am not a van tower, friends of ours are, towing a Kedron with their 200 series. They have reported being able to go comfortably through almost the same route as you with no issues. They are currently out there again and have reported no problems. I agree with Grant that you should be okay if you go steadily. When we were out that way last year, the roads from White Cliffs to the Silver City Highway were okay and all is dependent on when the grader went through. At the Silver City Highway junction, don't forget to have a look at the "spanner" trees. Road out to Cameron Corner was rough for the last 30 kms but quite passable for you. Fort Grey is a good camp area, toilets, no showers. From Cameron Corner to Merty Merty and the Strzelecki Track is good, lots of up and downs over the dunes, but it is a graded road. Innaminka to the border can be quite stoney. The border to the turn into Nappa Merrie and the dig tree is bitumen. Camp ground at the Dig Tree is quite good. Across to Thargomindah is usually okay as a lot is bitumen and it is a service road for the oil fields, so it is maintained. After Thargomindah I would go to Kilcowera Station - check them out on their website. Great place to camp, set up for vans as well as bush camping at Cardenyabba Lagoon. Lots of bird like to photograph. Then down to Hungerford for a steak sandwich at the pub. Hope this helps.
Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533073

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 13:39

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 13:39
Hi well we having some amazing two weeks of wonderful sunny days up to 29 c and it will continue for a little longer , now all road are open and dry at present but check out before your leave once it rains that changes every thing out this way

And for those of you who have come to Broken Hill and have driven up cafe on the Hill and miners memorial look out good news the State Gov have given the shire a grant to get that road fixed .

It is close to being closed due to its poor condition and the Cafe and look out may soon reopen full time
AnswerID: 533085

Sponsored Links