ute tool boxes

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 18:15
ThreadID: 107931 Views:4232 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
gday all we have a d40 navara dual cab and looking for 2 toolboxes to sit along each side of the tub tray over the wheel arch and aprox 350/400 wide
but keeping height to under the tarp does any manufacture these or has anyone had them custom made
I understand a canopy would widen my options but I don't really need one plus I like the roll bar being there just looking for lockable storage for recovery gear ect
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 08:32

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 08:32
Tom,

Check out web sites for Hare & Forbes, Trade Tools, A Man's Toyshop or Kingchrome Tools. Think Black Diamond make a variety of ute & tool boxes too.

I was looking at some aluminium boxes made by Kingchrome, instead of using the bigger, and probably heavier poly Space Cases. Some these aluminium workshops will knock one up for you, but not sure whether you'll pay a premium?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533126

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 14:20

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 14:20
Um...this..er..."roll bar".

Is it one of those polished aluminium things that is bolted to the sides of the tub.

If so it will provide no protection whatsoever in the case off a roll over.

IF it is a real roll bar it will be bolted thru the floor of the tray and into some thing solid...possibly a reinforcing beam.

Here is a give away.....if it does not have a diagnal brace across the vehicle immediately behind the cab......it is not a roll bar.

If it is an actual rollbar, it probably wont be made of aluninium.

These "sports bars" are very popular....and they look impressive......truth is they do very little....they are not even strong enough to carry a realy big ladder....they are there for looks and to stop the back of the cab getting scratched.

Anyway..back to the boxes......I have not seen anything that narrow off the shelf.

there are boxes that will go across the tray, in both plastic and aluminium.

looks like you will be looking for a custom.

May be the roll bar thing may change your mind about a canopy.

cheers
AnswerID: 533137

Follow Up By: tom 2 - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 19:32

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 19:32
thanks bantam but the roll bar well yer all right
but it does look pretty
yes would love a canopy but cant justify the cost and would still
want the tool boxes along the side anyway thanks mate
FollowupID: 816474

Reply By: Member - string - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 18:30

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 18:30
Hi tom 2
We developed a tool box system for our twin cab work utes, firstly on Nissans then Holden Rodeos that worked really well, and it could be stripped out completely in 30 mins. It gave us maximum accesable storage space below the top of the wheel arch and a deck on top of the arch, where the two 500x500x450 tool boxes were mounted, leaving space between them for long (1600) items.
Think it's a complicated to do via the forum but if your interested, email me.
string
AnswerID: 533158

Follow Up By: tom 2 - Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 19:35

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 19:35
gday string sounds a lot bigger than what we req but thanks anyway
may be a custom job it seems cheers
FollowupID: 816475

Reply By: Member - johnat - Monday, May 26, 2014 at 20:03

Monday, May 26, 2014 at 20:03
Why would you buy a D/Cab ute and not replace the "tub" with a proper tray back? Then, the Kingchrome etc tray boxes are viable options.
In the tub, you are limited by the height of the sides of the tub. It also restricts what you can put in there, because the tub has strange curves and such around the wheel arches that mean the toolboxes have to conform, or be placed in strange locations, or lifted above the arch so they are next door to useless.
AnswerID: 533198

Follow Up By: tom 2 - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 11:07

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 11:07
well thanks for all that useless information that's the thing with these
forums plenty to say with no relevance
FollowupID: 816565

Sponsored Links