Brigstone tyre video

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 08:39
ThreadID: 107963 Views:2384 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I wonder if this could happen to a tyre that was reseated using the lighter fluid or propane method

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUVzgCHHuA&feature=youtu.be

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 09:19

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 09:19
Good to see you around No.1. I think the greater danger from using a volatile to reseat is the simple fact that you are using a “controlled” (if such a thing is possible) explosion to reseat a tyre. Using too much accelerant could be problematic. It will only burn as long as it’s got oxygen to promote the burning process. This means that you could have some residue in the tyre after its sealed (probably more likely with a fluid based accelerant like petrol) Would heat alone will not ignite it though? You’d need an ignition source as well (glowing red hot metal may do that).

It’s a risky operation and not one we endorse but it can get you our of the bleep when all else fails.

We’ve welded rims with the tyres in place but with all pressure and valve cores removed. Common sense stuff.

Welding in this one

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533227

Follow Up By: 671 - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 13:46

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 13:46
the simple fact that you are using a “controlled” (if such a thing is possible) explosion
---------------------------------------------------

A controlled explosion is certainly possible. It is a rapid but controlled burning on an expanding flame front that builds up pressure and applies a pushing force to something. Examples are the pistons going down the cylinders in your car engine or a bullet in a rifle barrel.

Detonation is an instantaneous ignition of the entire explosive substance that applies a single hammer like blow to anything within reach. That is why you want the fuel in your engine to explode and push, not detonate and hit resulting in an audible pinging noise and eventually broken pistons.
FollowupID: 816574

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 19:39

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 19:39
Mick we used your trick twice on the Anzac Day LWE and it worked a treat. We used a can of aerosol deodorant and the only trouble we had was my gas match got squashed as the guy igniting the aerosol was to slow pulling it out of the way.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 816593

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 09:35

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 09:35
Good to be around Mick..Hi
FollowupID: 816627

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 15:16

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 15:16
Very interesting – I’ve come across a couple of people with wheel bearing failure on their caravans.
I one case the rim was so hot it would have lifted your skin if touched - you could feel the radiated heat from a few feet away. Makes you wonder how close it was to blowing.
AnswerID: 533246

Reply By: Slow one - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 15:31

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 15:31
On a side note.

A vehicle that has come in contact with high voltage, is supposed to be isolated from people for 24 hours as there is a risk of a tyre explosion.

Number 1. Good video. Thanks.
AnswerID: 533247

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 18:47

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 18:47
Good to see you again, No.1!!!!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533258

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 20:43

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 20:43
Informative video, No.1, but real scary too!

Have heard tales of blokes that had fires caused by binding brakes, or wheel bearings catching fire, and tyres bursting some minutes after the fires were put out. One bloke crawled under a trailer to repair the air fittings, after giving it "time to cool", and a tyre blew, filling his eyes with the powder out of the extinguisher.

Had to crawl out, and wait for another truckie to come along and give him some assistance. Happened on the Tablelands Highway NT, so had to wait for awhile for help.

Thanks No.1,

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816602

Follow Up By: Member No 1 - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 09:34

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 09:34
Hi Bob

Still around...I havent carked it yet..lol
been busy with sport , hobby and work etc etc...in that order
FollowupID: 816626

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 17:53

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 17:53
And pleased to see you have your priorities in the correct order too, No.1.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816662

Sponsored Links