Strezlecki Track Advice

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 21:04
ThreadID: 107978 Views:2214 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We are heading up the Strezlecki Track at the end June/start July (leaving from Adelaide) with a definite date that we need to be in Birdsville as the availability of accommodation there was limited.

We have 5 nights to play with and was looking for any thoughts/advice on the below 2 options:

Option 1:
Night 1: Arkaroola Village (a long drive I know but doable)
Night 2: Arkaroola Village
Night 3: Cameron Corner
Night 4: Coongie Lakes
Night 5: Dig Tree
Night 6: Birdsville

Option 2:
Night 1: Copley
Night 2: Montecollina Bore
Night 3: Cameron Corner
Night 4: Coongie Lakes
Night 5: Dig Tree
Night 6: Birdsville

We will be heading down the Birdsville Track and then up the Oodnadatta Track from here so there will still be plenty of time spent in the outback/desert. I realise that it is quite a rushed trip up the Strez but the availability in Birdsville dictates this.

We have seen a bit of The Flinders but never been up to Arkaroola hence the thought to spend a day there on the way up, or in the very least drive that road and join up with the Strez near Mt Hopeless and bypassing Lyndhurst altogether.

Thanks in advance, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 23:31

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 23:31
Option 1 Lloyd, Arkaroola is a worthwhile visit, from Copley Ark Rd, you can turn north at Nepabuna and go in the back loop via Umberatana and the old mines sites to Ark.
Ark has some self drives and beaut walks in there you can do on your free day.

That section through Moolawatana to old Mt Hopeless Station is good too :)
We just did that coming back form a Simmo crossing, but from Moolawatana we headed west via Mt Fitton to pick up the bottom of the Strz Tk again to Lyndhurst.

It was an easy drive from Cullyamulla Waterhole (Inna) down to Mt Fitton way too (we lunched at Montecollina Bore), or do you really want to go out the Cameron Corner for some reason ?
You have to then go back to the Old Strz Tk or Strz Tk to get to Inna / Coongie as Bore Tk is closed through Bollards Lagoon property.

The old Strz Tk is much nicer than the main track too, no bad bulldust and b-doubles doing 30km/hr.
AnswerID: 533282

Reply By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:48

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:48
Arkaroola is a great place to visit. You could do Arkaroola through to Innamincka via the Mt Hopeless Rd in a day without too much trouble. Probably take less time than going out of your way to Cameron Corner.
cheers - it's a nice part of the country
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533305

Reply By: tommo05 - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:26

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:26
Option 1 for sure. Not much to stop for on the Strez after Mt Hopeless anyway, so don't be too concerned about the quick trip. You still have some good time to spend around Innamincka which is definitely worth spending.

I take it you're just going to the Corner for the sake of going to the Corner, because there is no other reason to go that far out of your way. Fair enough, seeing the corner post is pretty cool and the crew at the Corner Store are good value.

Make sure you get a pint or a few at the Innamincka Hotel too - good bunch there as well

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533627

Follow Up By: tommo05 - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:48

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:48
Also, if for any reason you do end up going through Lyndhurst don't rely on it for fuel. The roadhouse has closed, although apparently there is diesel at the pub.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 817042

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 12:58

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 12:58
Helluva lot of driving. Have you been up that way before?

5-10 mm of rain will put paid to those plans and that can happen overnight.The junction of the Strez with the Balcanoona Rd seems to get wiped out by rain pretty quickly and while SA road condition reporting works pretty well it failed when we last had to traverse it.

Coongie Lakes access is also chancy.
AnswerID: 533656

Sponsored Links