Letter to Nissan

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 23:02
ThreadID: 10798 Views:1759 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Fellow 3.0 ltr TD Patrol owners,
After getting info from this forum about the woes of the early 3.0 litre TD Patrol and they buying one I wrote a letter to the Customer Relations Manager in Victoria, I sent the letter late December and recieved a reply today. I must say I'm quite impressed, I wasn't asked to take my Patrol to the nearest agent and have the latest and greatest engine plus accessories fitted but at least I got an acknowledgement that at least if anything does die in the bot bot at least the failure will be looked at and reviewed on a case by case basis after the new vehicle warranty has expired which I thought was alright, they could of just sent me a prayer mat. What I would do with the letter in the middle of the CSR I don't know unless it's to start a fire so someone can find me, I know............... But after all I read on the forum I saw this at least as an acknowledgement that trusty Nissan owners will be sort of looked after. I know also there are some horror stories, I'm just trying to put a bit of positive stuff out there.
I've had mine (2000 model) nearly four months now and I pulled my camper trailer back from Cervantes to Lancelin along the beach a month ago, I wanted to give the vehicle a bit of a work out before the dealer warranty ran out, everything was fine, no problems at all, I live in hope.
As usual this is all my findings, experience and opinions.Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:04

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:04
Well done and well said. A pleasant change from some of the negatees that haunt this site with asenine comments. Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 48140

Reply By: bob - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:12

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 01:12
Martyn
Glad to hear that the GU went well on your trial run. I own a 2001 3.0td (since new) and was sh34ting myself when all the talk of engine failures started. Im still trying to work out if the vehicle is driven like its your 2nd most expensive asset (or fist in some cases) and based on the number you see on the road if there is not just a bit of anti 3.0ltr patrol sentiment out there. We've all heard the stories of every one knows someone that has a 3.o ltr engine failure but when you check the other forums (yahoo patrol & outer limits) the same handfull of names come up.
Any way mine has clocked up 83000kms and except for the occasional lack of power under 2300rpm we have'nt had any problems with the 3.0ltr (must get that DTronic)

Just a few thoughts

regards
Bob A
AnswerID: 48142

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:44

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:44
Hi Marty

Just wondering if the Salesman told you at the time of Purchase that the 3.0 liter was infact a 4 Clyinder.
The reason i ask this is i have viewed the said vehicle myself and was not informed ........all he wanted me to do was test drive to feel the power ?

When i started asking the question on the motor problems he told me a direct LIE .......................He was not aware of any Problems.

Which goe's back to the point of weather the maker of the statement of the imformation supplied in the statement Had any Incentive to Conceal of Missrepresent the Facts ?

Rather than continue along with conversation with said Salesman i ask to Speak to the Workshop Forman in relation to said clarifaction of the question ?

He said he would ask him on my behalf >?

Hello

Well i then decided that Anwsered the Question.

Now the question is what is going to lose the most amount of money.If one brought a 2 year old Toyota ............... or a new 4 clyinder 3 liter Nissam
Where would you be in 2 years ?? in relation to what the Value would be ?
Summing up i would think there is alot of room to work on the 4 clyinder nissan as hey once there was a 6 clyinder in there which is Probally a good thing.

As with alot of things in Life Time Will Tell :)

Shane

FollowupID: 310070

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 13:44

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 13:44
Bob,

Like you I have listened to the negative comments from the sideline and not having any direct experience have stayed there. However, a very good work colleague friend with a 2001 3.0L Patrol recently experienced the sudden loss of power and heaps of smoke syndrome - one of his pistons had siezed up apparently. The car had about 90,000 on the clock.

His Nissan local dealer was very good and replaced his engine with a new one immediately - he only had to pay something like $25 to change the engine number details on his registration, which he didn't mind.

His only minor gripe is that the new engine only has a 12 month warranty.

He was dissapointed that his car experienced the problem but very happy with Nissan's response.

Cheers

Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
FollowupID: 310092

Follow Up By: jeff-wa - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 15:53

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 15:53
goingplatinumcomau , This is not a dig but a legit question, what is your fascination with 6 cylinders?
All my 4bies have ahd 4 cylinders be it petrol or turbo deisel and they have taken me everywhere I wanted to go with no mechicanical issues that would have been absent by having another 2 cylinders...
FollowupID: 310108

Reply By: Member - Jeffrey - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:18

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:18
Hi Martyn,
I to own a patrol 2000 model which I purchased 2nd hand with 82 thou on it, so far so good I was unaware of the problem with model until I started reading this and other forums, but what can I say my smile is getting bigger.... fingers crossed

All The Best In Health And Wealth
Jeffrey (AKA JD)
AnswerID: 48173

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:40

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:40
I to have the 2000 model 3.0 ltr & with all the negative posts when the original warranty ran out I just brought a nother 3 years worth for peace of mind but so far only problem has been air flow metre which was replaced. Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 48200

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:03

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:03
Interesting Martyn,

I bumped into an old friend from up north today in Port Augusta. He was driving a brand new 2004 3.0l TD Nissan. He is very impressed with the vehicle. He is an old bushie and is very particular about his vehicles and I mentioned that some of the 3 litre Nissans had had problems and was he aware of that. He replied that he was well aware of all the shortcomings of earlier models and that Nissan had expressly confirmed that all of those problems have now been remedied. I am not sure what guarantee they have given him. Time will tell. Anyway, he is as pleased as punch with his new purchase.

Cheers,Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 48242

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:06

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:06
Martyn I wouldnt mind a copy of the letter you sent if thats OK. My email can be seen if you click on my pic. ThanxLife ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
AnswerID: 48244

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:24

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:24
Bonz,
I did the letter the old fashioned way and hand wrote it, I haven't got a copy I'm afraid but I can send an email with the things I mentioned if you want. I believe it gives the person you are writing to some sort sign that it bothers you enough to sit down and hand write something rather than an email or a computer generated letter. It seems to work I know of others who have sent emails and recieved nothing back at all, not even a prayer mat............ Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 310137

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:37

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:37
Thanx Martyn, even a scan of the letter would be good as I intend to also take up the cudgel and would like to know what has worked, already know what hasnt.

ThanxLife ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
FollowupID: 310242

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:26

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:26
"at least if anything does die in the bot bot at least the failure will be looked at and reviewed on a case by case basis after the new vehicle warranty has expired which I thought was alright,"

Tell that to the bloke who posted here the other week, that had a $15,000 bill for a rebuild, after few mths out of warranty that nissan wouldnt even talk to..

But as long as your happy thats all that matters, now GO CAMPING. ;)
AnswerID: 48282

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:07

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 22:07
Truckster,
Yeap I read that post as well, one of the reasons I wrote was because of all the bad stuff, you never know I may well be in the same boat as the guy with the $15k rebuild when it comes down to it, actions always speak louder than words as far a Nissan would be concerned, I'm happy I got a response, that's a start, I'm touching wood so far so good, I know I dropped off your christmas card list when I sold the old GQ, the new owner is more than happy, bugger it!!!
And yes I will go camping, can't go this weekend even though it is a long weekend, I've got a sand gymkhana next weekend for the Rangie that should be fun. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 310297

Sponsored Links