Off road caravan to Nhulunbuy?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:22
ThreadID: 107984 Views:3707 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody towed an off road caravan to Nhulunbuy?

I have started to organise permits for our forthcoming trip to Arnhem Land with our Australian Off Road Campers Quantum & have been informed that absolutely no caravans are allowed on the road to Nhulunbuy!

When I mentioned that it is purpose built top shelf off road van the answer was " if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck & quacks like a duck ..... then it's a duck"!
Fortunately, I also have a Tvan, but would prefer to take the Quantum as Arnhem Land only represents part of our trip.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:41

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 10:41
Yes that is correct, has been that way for as long as the road has been there.
We took our cub hardfloor camper ok, is usually a pretty good road but the rivers can be deep.
AnswerID: 533304

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 16:47

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 16:47
Yep no caravans. Except if your aboriginal!!!!!! Seen a few at different communities. Its a shame that the colour of ya skin dictates whether you can tow a van in or not. Camper trailers are no worries BUT where you intend to set it up could also be an issue.

Realistically you would be better off driving in, staying at the motel and then driving back out. You wont be allowed on the Rammingining Rd so its only the Central Arnhem Hwy. Highway??...Its a bloody horrible piece of dirt that has seen numerous deaths, destroyed vehicles and damaged vehicles.
AnswerID: 533324

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 22:11

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 22:11
We describe our Quantum as a camper for occasions like this! When you talk to them and state it has outside cooking (external fridge and gas cooker), no inside kitchen, pop-up roof, tare of 1.650, single axle, narrower than the vehicle etc... and is NOT a caravan, normally they too consider it a camper.

What it the difference between a "camper" and a "caravan" - very subjective definition! Would be interesting to talk to them again and only refer to it as an AOR Camper!

Cheers

Captain

AnswerID: 533354

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 23:10

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at 23:10
They basically said that if it looks like a caravan, it is a caravan, end of story. Apparently it is the NT roads department that has placed the blanket ban, not the Northern Lands Council.
A badly damaged caravan was pulled out of there only in the last couple of weeks, apparently the owner had ignored the No Caravans signs!

FollowupID: 816691

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 06:25

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 06:25
Having driven the road hundreds of times I can honestly say that the 650 klms of dirt would be a nightmare for a caravan. Once you get into town there are no caravan parks either. The walkabout hotel allows camper van camping on its lawns by arrangement with owner. Even towing a camper trailer take it slowly as the bulldust and corrugations have claimed dozens of vehicles. Take at keast 2 spare tyres as well.

good luck.
AnswerID: 533360

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 21:18

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 21:18
Been there with friends who had a Quantum, no problems. Just call it it a camper trailer and be adamant about it. Don't call it a top shelf off road van, call it a top shelf camper trailer. A Quantum goes everywhere you are allowed to take trailers you just need to be patient and take it easy. Some places like Memorial the track is narrow in places and some expert driving would be required if you want to keep your awning.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533408

Sponsored Links