cleaning advice for a real dirty 4 B

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 16:03
ThreadID: 108007 Views:2226 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all we went away at Easter and I have washed the under carriage of the cruiser 3 times and still cant get this muddy film off the old girl and was wondering what you good folk use like CT 18 or home made brew as I have just used SCA cans of degreaser and hit it with my Gerni and it still stays there, I want to tidy up the under carriage IE: take off test and pant shocks and springs and just general maintenance as I haven't done so for a while, any advice would be great .

regards John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 16:57

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 16:57
John,

Use CT-18 @ 10% rate, but leave it on the dirty bits for a day, or overnight. Seems to be more effective then. The other thing we found to keep chassis etc clean was to leave the vehicles in the shed when it had been raining :-). We had 3 ute's on the station we were on, and when we did get caught in a storm, it was usually a full day to clean all 3, when we could have been doing something more constructive, or financially rewarding.

Did try a couple of other truck wash brands, but kept going back to CT-18. There is a clear detailing finish you can buy, don't know what it's called, that makes chassis, running gear & under bonnet area look pretty smig, & new car-like.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533390

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 18:14

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 18:14
Another vote for CT18.
I mix it up in a garden sprayer and spray everything with it and let it dry. Hours later you hose it off and it takes the clay with it. High pressure cleaner helps, or just a rub with a cloth or soft brush.

The engine bay on my old wagon looked like new as I'd give it a spray before playing and it helped stop mud sticking in the first place.
AnswerID: 533392

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:05

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:05
Pressure wash it at Carlovers.
AnswerID: 533399

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:27

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:27
This won't be the sole solution. Lucky for me my carlovers is right beside a pub, so I pressure wash the thick muck off, then coat it with a CT18 mix (I dont know what %, I just tip some in and fill the bottle with water), go in the pub and have a meal and a few beers, come back out and foam brush it then pressure wash it. Job done!
FollowupID: 816780

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:39

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 20:39
Johny Boy
Unless the dirt underneath is petroleum based then degreaser which is used to dissolve petroleum based material will be a waste of time and money. A bit like washing your turps paintbrush with water. Total non event. Won't work.

Seeing most of the land isn't oily, then the truck wash which is formulated for road grime, dirt etc, is the best thing to use. It will also wash off some greasy stuff where the degreaser won't touch the dirt.
As suggested spray on and "wait" while the truckwash has time to do it's job and loosen the crap. Then carefully Gurni if needed.
AnswerID: 533402

Reply By: SDG - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 21:50

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 21:50
One thing I use to do after spraying it with ct18 and letting it sit, was then park over a sprinkler and turn it on, go inside and relax
AnswerID: 533410

Reply By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 22:04

Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 22:04
I bought CT 18 many years ago for our MX bikes and cant remember it being anything to rave on about as I wanted something that I could spray on and wait then hose off not really have to scrub or wipe but after your responses I think I will try and find a place to buy it from and give it another go, thanks for your advice guys I really appreciate it .
AnswerID: 533414

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 03:49

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 03:49
First time off road hey is it a show car or a 4WD my how things have changed. sorry couldn't help it.
AnswerID: 533426

Follow Up By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:30

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:30
Hey Batts,
I've owned the 4B for 12 years and it has done its fair share of holiday and week end 4x4 driving we travelled around oz for the whole of 2012 on and off road with and without the van in tow, I don't know about you but I like to pop the hood and jump under the vehicle and have a good look around so if everything is clean I can spot any leaks or damage, let me guess champ do you go out on a Sunday find the dirtiest holes then come home and drive around with your car covered in Mud all week so your mates think your hardcore?

Oh and I have a 1966 GT Mustang that's a show car, not a 4B

" Sorry couldn't help it " ;)
FollowupID: 816781

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:30

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:30
Everyone likes a clean car batts. Shows you actually value your possessions by taking care of them.
FollowupID: 816783

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 10:35

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 10:35
Sorry Johny but your way off track with your guise. Also I do wash my car and use the gerni underneath but I'm not pedantic about it having a showroom shine underneath because it a 4WD if you really want to clean underneath go for a drive on the beach. Basically if you can't see through to what I was originally getting at which you haven't was as 4Wdrives have change over the years from the rough and rugged vehicles that served a purpose lets say 4WDriving and getting dirty then giving them a wash till next time and had limited buyers because they were suppose to be considered ugly. To the now soft looking pretty vehicles that lets say serve the purpose of trying to impress the neighbours with my ever spotless so called 4WD which I panic about if it gets scratched or dirty and I need to wash it as soon as I possibly can when it gets dirty or the world will end and I am wasting most of my life meticulously cleaning it so it will look good in the street so when I re sell it a couple of yrs later and get half of what I paid for it and stupidly go away happy with a new one to do it all again. Try not to look at this as a personal attack just a view of how things have turned around in the 4WD sales side of things.
FollowupID: 816800

Follow Up By: Penchy - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 11:52

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 11:52
Not personal at all, glad you explained it as I did interpret it differently. Not sure how much cleaning driving on the beach will do but I'll stick with the CT18. If (and when) I buy a new 4wd I will want to keep it as sparkly as I can for as long as I can. I realise it will get bumped and scraped as I like to use it properly. I don't want to be able to eat off my diffs but I do like to keep them as clean as I can without going to too much effort.
I hope you see where I am coming from also.
FollowupID: 816810

Follow Up By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 19:25

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 19:25
Guys I had a read of the post again and still see no sense in a non constructive post, this forum is here to help people and share knowledge/experience, I don't often respond to these post but it just seems that we see it on here more and more often, Batts you might have meant something else but once again it wasn't helpful advice nor did it help me with my question, sorry about the sarcasm in my return post and to be honest I sort of know where your coming from but my tough dog 9 ways look like they have been sand blasted as well as the springs and rust is forming so as always I mean to just tidy up and end up getting a little carried away, I have dents and scrapes on the car and you know I don't really mind but Id still prefer them not to be there, this is also my work truck so appearance and reliability is an issue, I hope you understand where I'm coming from mate.

Regards John.
FollowupID: 816844

Follow Up By: ROBBS GONE BUSH - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 17:55

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 17:55
Hey John,

Smeaton Grange is 5 mins from my place, drop the truck off, i'll pick you up and come back to my place for a coffee while its getting professionally cleaned.

CT-18 is good for general dirt and grime but yes you need to leave in on to work best. If you have any oil stains or leaks i found diesel in a spray bottle the best. I once changed the oil in my 60 series cruiser and knock the bucket over on my stencil driveway, thankfully i had a servo across the road and was able to get some diesel onto it immediately and it cleaned off almost unmarked.

Some people are just Batty!!!! LOL

Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 816883

Follow Up By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 18:11

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 18:11
Hey Rob,
Sorry mate as I was busy signing off after the game today and didn't say bye and yes if we time it right I may take you up on that as I would like it cleaned up before going in for the big service with J.C.D, see you on Tuesday :)

Regards John.
FollowupID: 816885

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:10

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:10
John,
I don't know where you live in NSW, but if you're near the Macarthur region SW of Sydney you could try Narellan Truck Wash in Smeaton Grange. I just had my Prado done. They cleared out half of the Tanami track, the Red Centre, the Kimberley, outback NSW and QLD and the dirt road from Tumut to Wee Jasper. They used truck wash and high pressure inside all hollow components (chassis rails, cross members, wishbones, etc) as well as the "flat" underside. Two guys spent 40 minutes on the job and now it's spotless under there.Well worth the money.

The last place I'd go for an underbody wash would be the beach, unless I planned a real fresh water wash afterwards.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533486

Follow Up By: Member - Lester77 - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 23:58

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 23:58
How much did it cost Frank?
FollowupID: 816858

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 20:00

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 20:00
$130. Sounds steep but 2 guys for 40 minutes and when you see the amount of junk coming out its reasonable, IMO.
Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 816888

Reply By: - Johny boy (NSW) - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 18:02

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 18:02
Thanks Frank, I'm about a half hour drive from there so I will check it out, there was a place very much like that in Arndell park and they had a large pit and spent about an hour doing the same with a hot water pressure cleaner and a cleanser, it was about 6 or so years ago and cost about $50 which was cheap to me, I don't know if they are still around but yours isn't far away, thanks again.

Regards John.
AnswerID: 533509

Sponsored Links