Comment: SPOT Connect

Is anyone able to confirm if Spot Connect will work with an iPad? We don't have a smart phone, but carry an iPad 4( retina display). I like the idea of having the option to send a pre planned message, or if required being able to type & send a message. Is anyone able to offer any other comments regarding spot connect?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sanantone - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 07:57

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 07:57
Can't help you much with the "Spot Connect" system, but I am seriously looking at the Delorme InReach system, EO have them available in their shop. They are able to hook up to your Ipad via Bluetooth & can send both pre-planned & personal emails. They are a bit more expensive than the Spot unit, but do appear to be more versatile.

There are two types of units, I am looking at the newest units, the SE model, which allow you send messages without the Ipad as well.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533430

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:37

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 08:37
Smithy,

There is a Spot Connect app available, for iPad.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533433

Reply By: snow - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 09:02

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 09:02
It works fine for me on my ipad4
AnswerID: 533435

Follow Up By: snow - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 09:04

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 09:04
Ah, ok after following that app link I find I may be leading you up the garden path. I am using the older version SPOT device where there is no bluetooth connectivity. Sorry for the confusion.
FollowupID: 816788

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 10:01

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 10:01
Snow,
If you are using a first generation Spot, as I do, the answer is no, you cannot send directly from a smart device.

If you have internet coverage you can access your personal page and Spot account on your pad or smart phone and change your pre-formatted messages, then use Spot to send the new message. But you wouldn't normally do that - it's illogical given that if you have internet coverage you will have phone and text ability.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 816797

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 14:54

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 14:54
Ask me next week. Ill be lending my spot connect to a friend over the weekend for use with an ipad.
I expect it to work. It works on the iphone ok.

AnswerID: 533461

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 20:05

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 20:05
Smithy,

as someone else said just download the app.

I used the app on the iPhone and the iPad.

I found setting up the bluetooth connection wasn't always as seamless as you'd expect with Apple gear.

I reverted to using my original Spot (a saga in itself as you can't downgrade devices on line).

Bob
AnswerID: 533480

Sponsored Links