Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2014 at 21:18
ThreadID: 108023 Views:2732 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We are heading on an outback in July and are considering heading up to Dalhousie Springs if possible.

On a previous post I was warned about to condition of this road so I just need to know how long it takes to get from Oodnadatta to Dalhousie and once I know this I can decide if we head up there or not.

At this stage the plan is to drive up there from Algebuckina to spend a couple of nights and on the way back hopefully make it down to Arckaringa Station.

We would love to go up there and have a look so any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Freshstart - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:18

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:18
We went from Oodnadatta to Finke and then west to Lambert in one day easy drive. You should be able to get from Oodnadatta to Hamilton Station and then across to Dalhouse in a lot less than that.

We didn't actually go on the Hamilton Station to Dalhousie part but I can't see why it would be any different to the track up to finke.

AnswerID: 533487

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:20

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:20
Hi Lloyd

The road north from Oodnadatta is usually a very good road and was upgraded a number of years ago, as far north as Hamilton Station.

Once past the station is reverts to typical outback road conditions. Without going at a million miles an hour, it is a comfortable days drive to Dalhousie allows for lots of stops along the way, and settling in to the Dalhousie Campground in the early afternoon, with time for a very long hot bath in the thermal springs.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533488

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:32

Friday, May 30, 2014 at 22:32
Dalhousie is worth a visit,

However, take couple of mouse traps. The Meece will find anything you have in the vehicle if open at any time. It is quite a sight to shine a torch into the vehicle and see corn chips you spilt days earlier, just walking along.
Anything they think has food in it they will shred open. Everything. We had three with us for 3 days afterwards, had to totally unpack the vehicle.

Dingoes will come right up to and take anything you have outside, food bag, shoes etc, so keep it all safe.
Have your camera ready when around the campfire as there will be a dingo within Kodak range quite often.
AnswerID: 533489

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 07:33

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 07:33
its a days drive from William Creek to Dalhousie, from Oodna is less, but after Hamilton stn the road quality reduces and will slow you, drop the pressures a bit.
AnswerID: 533490

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 08:54

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 08:54
Yes, after Hamilton, if you take Perdika Tk, it's slow going for most of it.
Worth going this way though, as Dalhousie ruins is great for a look.

The alternate, via Eringa waterhole / Bloods Ck is also worth it to see (particularly) Eringa, another great place to camp either side of the waterhole.
(A detour down to Dalhousie ruins can still be made, only 18ks return, but quite rough when we did it in April.)
AnswerID: 533495

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 12:07

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 12:07
"18ks return" from the turnoff 3 km from Dalhousie Springs.

FollowupID: 816873

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 09:21

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 09:21
Hi Lloyd,

We that trip last August. It took us approximately 5 hours from Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs. We had lots of photo stops including Pedirka Rail siding & Dalhousie Station. The old Dalhousie Station ruins are definitely worth a look around.
The road to Hamilton was brilliant as Stephen said, but very course from there to Pedirka. As others have said, drive to conditions with appropriate tyre pressures.

You have not said what you are driving or if you are towing, but I presume it is a 4 or all wheel drive with reasonable clearance & if towing it is off-road capable.

We also stayed at Arckaringa Station on our way home. We enjoyed the Painted Desert. We viewed it at sunset & again soon after sunrise the next morning.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 533496

Follow Up By: Member - Lloyd W1 - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 16:17

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 16:17
Thanks Allan,

We will be in a Pajero and not towing anything so I'm hoping that we should be fine to head up there without too many hassles.

Lloyd
FollowupID: 816878

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 16:52

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 16:52
Hi Lloyd,

We did it in an RC Colorado, so you will have no hassles.

Enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 816881

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 21:49

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 21:49
Lloyd,

I drove in to Dalhousie Springs from Oodnadatta about 2 weeks ago.

As others have said its pretty good going until you get to Hamilton station from where the track deteriorates markedly (becomes very rough with lots of rocks). I was towing a 16ft caravan so stopped and took all tyres down to 25psi (hot) and proceeded very slowly.

The trip took me over 5 hours.

Don't think you should have to many problems.

Rob
FollowupID: 817281

Sponsored Links