2.8 Hilux new turbo = HORRIBLE fuel cons

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:23
ThreadID: 10807 Views:3692 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just bit the bullet and spent the cash on a turbo for the hilux. It's a 2.8 with 130k on the clock. Has a snorkel also and 31x10.5R15's on it.

Before the turbo was fitted I would get about 10.5km/l, with the turbo fitted I now get about 8.5mk/l and that test was on the highway on very level turf with no load on, basically as good as it gets when testing for fuel economy.

It's also blowing a LOT of smoke when you put your foot down. When I picked it up (it was fitted by MTQ in Melbourne) the guy said he had to turn the fuel up a lot to get enough boost out of it. He said he runs them about 8psi normally, but the best he got out of mine was 7.5psi and didn't want turn the fuel up any fruther (which after driving it I know why, didn't want people stopping me to say my ute was on fire!)

Before I go back to them, I read a bit on this forum about people's good experience with turbo's so the question is, do I take it back and get the fuel adjusted by them so that they can check the boost pressure to get the balance as good as possible OR pull the pump off and get it checked out and setup for the turbo? Have people had good results either way?

Thanks in advance crew,

Jimmy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:38

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:38
Hi Jimmy,
First thing first mate, Take it back and get them to check it out. Remember this, It is alwasy possible the bloke who fitted the system and finalised the job was having a bad day or that it was almost quitting time, I have found in the past that its not a good idea to get things done around quitting time as their minds are focused on other things rather than the job they have at hand.
I havea turbo on my GQ and fuel economy is good (comparing it to my old GQ without a turbo) But if they check it out and find that its set up correctly, I would seek a second opinion before forking out more money on guess work.

Good luck old mate and keep us posted.I love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 48185

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 13:48

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 13:48
Hi coke..... what was your economy with and without your turbo?
what brand? ___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:24

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:24
Cheers Coke, have organised to see them next week to check it out so hopefully that will take care of it.
FollowupID: 310222

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:49

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:49
Hey Coke,
Got the lux looked at yesterday and the wound down the fuel and got rid of a lot of the smoke problem. Then after a bit of a yarn with the guy found that there was a 6in foam filter in the snorkel which was causing a bit of a bottle neck in the air intake. Now runs great and stuff all smoke. Gotta get out and see what the economy is like, but no doubt it will be better. Good times. Thanks for the suggestions and take it easy,
Jim
FollowupID: 311110

Reply By: LBJ - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:52

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:52
JimmyBoy, they have obviously wound too much fuel into it. the amount of fuel they dial into the engine has got NOTHING to do with the boost, NOTHING!!!!. most of the time, not all the time, you can get the same if not better fuel economy from a turbo. is the vehicle blacksmoking heavily all the way through the rev range? if so thats just going to really confirm too much fuel for ya. watch out you dont end up glazzing your bore or you'll be burning oil before to long!!!! what type of turbo did you put on? it is really simple to get the balance right between fuel and air. it just takes a little patients and time........i would just adjust it myself and save some $$$
AnswerID: 48191

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:52

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:52
Hey LBJ, got it looked at yesterday and found that they fuel was too high and there was a 6in foam filter in the snorkel casuing a bit of a problem. Got that sorted and now it's all good. The trubo is a Mitsubishi which is what the blokes at MTQ seem to fit to all the lux's they do. Very happy with it now and just need to get out on the road to see what the economy is like. Thanks for the suggestions, Jim
FollowupID: 311111

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:15

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:15
When I had mine fitted to the same engine you have it did drop the fuel slightly but even so i was still getting 10.5 km/l or 9.5l/100km.
Maybe your pump timing is slightly out to start with. I suggest you get the pump timing checked, as $80 is cheap peace of mind and then take it and have the fuel adjusted again. If you want my advice next time you get the belt done pay a few dollars extra and have the pump taken off and stripped and cleaned and put back together with factory specs plus 6-10 percent for the turbo. I did and it was sweet. You know then that the auto advance , static advance, and fuel are all set right, it's the only way to do it right.
AnswerID: 48211

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:55

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:55
Hey there Howesy, got it looked at again yesterday and found that the fuel was too high and there was a 6in foam filter in the snorkel causing breathing problems. Got that sorted and now all is good. Think I will take your suggestions though next time I get a belt done. Best to have it right. Thanks mate, Jim
FollowupID: 311112

Reply By: snow - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:53

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:53
Jimmy

I have 2.4 lux with aftermarket turbo & 31s and 200, 000ks. Before turbo I consistently got 10km per litre, empty or loaded. This figure has not changed since the fitting of the turbo. No smoke either.

I don't understand or appreciate why it is so hard for someone to do their job properly, bloody infuriating!!

Best of luck.
AnswerID: 48214

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:57

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:57
G'day Snow, got the lux looked at again yesterday and found the fuel was too high and also there was a 6in foam filter in the snorkel holding things up. It is now running better and no smoke. Gotta get out on the road a bit and see how it goes on fuel, but no doubt it will be better. Take it easy and thanks for the response, Jim
FollowupID: 311113

Reply By: Michael_FNQ - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 15:19

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 15:19
The amount of fuel going into the motor does have a slight effect on the boost but generally only about 1/2 PSI.
Generally if the turbo does not make the require boost even after adding more fuel it indicates a problem with the motor or pump. That assumes that the boost was been set correctly. If the fuel pump cannot deliver the correct pressures then at the higher rpm it will not make full boost due to poor fuel delivery. Hard to explain but easy to see on a dyno.
Basically turbo's are simple and just produce boost, any power/fuel consumption problems are all related to the pump and injectors. And finally just to make you day, if the pump is fine and turbo still down on boost it means you motor has problems i.e. cracked head, blow by etc.
AnswerID: 48217

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:00

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:00
Hey mate, found that the fuel had been set too high and there was a 6in foam filter in the snorkel holding up the air supply. Got that sorted and now it's all good and no big bills in the works thank god! Thanks for the suggestions, Jim
FollowupID: 311114

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:29

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:29
My GQ is the same, worse now with turbo than before.. Seems common.

Have you had your fuel pump and injectors done??
AnswerID: 48284

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:22

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:22
Hey Truckser,

No mate, haven't had them done. Have got it booked in next week with the guys who fitted the trubo so if no luck there might have to get it looked at.

Jimmy
FollowupID: 310220

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 23:11

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 23:11
Fuelpump and injectors are well over a grand some cars over $2000 to get done, so be prepared...
FollowupID: 310312

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:02

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:02
Hey Truckster, thanks for the heads up, but the problem was that the fuel was turned up too high and also there was a 6in foam filter in the snorkel holding up the airflow. Got that sorted and now all is good and thankfully no big bills in the works. Thanks for the suggestions, Jim
FollowupID: 311115

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 00:31

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 00:31
Could be lack of air. On the Hilux 2.8 when the snorkel was fitted a foam sox was put in at the top of the snorkel to stop the vibration. This is no longer required when a turbo is fitted.
The waste gate sets how much boost is delivered. When the manifold pressure reaches a set limit the waste gate opens and stops the build up of boost.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48314

Follow Up By: JimmyBoy - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:04

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:04
Hey Wayne, hit the nail on the head. There was a 6in foam filter in the snorkel holding up the airflow. Also got the fuel turned down a bit and all is good. Thanks for the suggestion, Jim.
FollowupID: 311116

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)