Camp Fires in the Simpson Desert

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 19:17
ThreadID: 108073 Views:3998 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
I was having a conversation with a friend who is planing a trip across the Simpson Desert in a couple of months time.
He informed me that he read in a 4x4 magazine that camp fires in the Simpson are no longer allowed.
Can anyone put a light on the subject please.
Thanks in anticipation.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 19:58

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 19:58
My Desert Park Pass arrived Friday and it says you can have a fire in the Simpson Desert Regional Reserve, & Conservation Park, Tallaringa CP, Innamincka RR, but not in the Witjira NP, Coongie Lakes NP,& Wabma Kadarbu Mound Springs CP.

When your mate gets his 12mth permit he will also get the Desert Parks Handbook and a set of 3 Westprint Outback maps for the areas the permit covers you for. All the pertinent info is provided in the Handbook.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 533621

Reply By: Ozrover - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:23

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:23
No fire bans in the Simpson Desert Yet! Only Witjira Ntnl Park.
AnswerID: 533626

Reply By: Eric Experience - Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:53

Monday, Jun 02, 2014 at 22:53
Baz.
There is no ban yet, but there is very few trees in the desert so it is not fair on the wildlife to remove any trees. If your mate must have a fire suggest to him he cart wood in from outside. Eric.
AnswerID: 533629

Reply By: troopmaster96 - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:39

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:39
As of last year, no burning in Witjira, other than Mt Dare, where you must bring your own fire wood.
AnswerID: 533705

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:23

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:23
Yes, camp fires no probs in the Simmo, but do try and take your own wood as Parks requests.
Habitat is rare for small creatures out there.

Our crossing in April, each 4B in our group took either a bag of decent hardwood or kindling, most sourced Bunnings, or some of the servos have it.

Must dunes corridors have ample small twigs etc to assist getting a fire going, and I see nothing wrong with using that, or take a couple of newspapers / pack of firelighters / butane blowtorch !! :D

For a couple of vehicles a bag of kindling and couple of bags of hardwood would be ample.
As small a fire as you can get by with, enough to cook and for social aspects.
AnswerID: 533717

Sponsored Links