Double Din GPS unit for Discovery 3

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:03
ThreadID: 108084 Views:2334 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I would like advise on what Double Din GPS unit I should fit to my LR Discovery 3, 2008 model. We are heading off around Australia for 12 - 24 months at the end of the year & want to make sure what ever GPS unit I purchase is going to be up for the task (4wd tracks/free camps etc), to make sure we navigate our way around as easily possible. The main reason I am steering towards a double din unit is to also have the benefit of Bluetooth, I-pod connectivity, reverse camera & GPS all in one unit. Any advise would be most appreciated as there are so many units on the market & i'm unaware of what to look for, Map types etc.

Regards Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: auzinomad - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 11:45

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 11:45
Do you mean one like this . ( except for a Disco - not Ranger )
It will take any form of maps you put into the sd card

Mine works great and also can switch between Igo or Hemma maps

Z
AnswerID: 533652

Follow Up By: auzinomad - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 11:45

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 13:03

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 13:03
Hi Richard

I had that setup before and found the screen too small for offroad mapping and trip plotting
So only use the standard road navigator part of the head unit and all its other good features you mentioned but run my offroad maps (Hema) on a mounted Ipad. I find the larger tablet format screen much better to work off, I know others are happy with the double din setups but just floating the idea as an alternative option to consider.

Having a seperate tablet is also useful for your internet and email etc as well
AnswerID: 533657

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 15:52

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2014 at 15:52
Richard
Purchased a Parrot Asteroid and had it fitted to my 79 series, to date found it quite good, with all the features you need, including probably the best hands free system I have used to date without a doubt.
It has ozi + hema maps installed with Eozi android as well ( for dummies like me ) and that combination works very well.
System also has a remote GPS thingy which hides under dash mat and I get a great signal at all times.
This system also has provision for a reverse camera to be plugged in and also my mobile broadband sits in the glove box permanently plugged in for all my internet requirements.
Cost wise it was very reasonable compared to a lot of others and settled on this unit after about 3 months of looking around.
It does have a small reflection issue but think this may not cause any grief as your "din" slot would probably be higher.
There also isn't any "buttons" at all on this unit but with a removable side plate the theft issue is minimal.
(without buttons it looks like a small dvd screen)
Cheers & Regards
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533664

Reply By: Member - Richard L8 - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:11

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 16:11
Thank you guys for the feedback. Both units look great especially the parrot system. I have had 2 parrot Bluetooths units in the past and have been faultless. I didn't realise they done a double din unit also. I will definately order one. Any suggestions on who would be the best priced place to purchase the maps from. I've been quoted $799 for the parrot double din unit here in Canberra, but they don't sell the map sd cards.
AnswerID: 533736

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 13:04

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 13:04
Richard
Mine was installed here in Perth by autotainment, and it was Brian who actually alerted me to their system and installed mapping etc for me.
Ozi was downloaded from the net ( it is the android version )
Hema and eozi were purchased from Exploroz site shop.
Prices are pretty similar wherever unless you have someone "in the know"
Should also note that IGO street mapping comes already installed on the parrot system card.
Hope this helps
Cheers & Regards
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 817214

Sponsored Links