Comment: Simpson Desert

Hello,
I am planning to cross the Simpson west to east departure from Canberra on the 16 or 17/07/14. This is my first big trip with my 2 doors pajero io. We were supposed to have other cars but there is only me left....Anyway, my car is well prepared and in good condition. Does anyone have some info on the track condition ?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bludge - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 17:08
Call Birdsville Pub (07) 4656 3244 and/or the Pink Road House (08) 8670 7822 pinkroadhouse@bigpond.com

AnswerID: 533745

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 18:12

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 18:12
Mt Dare would be a better place to call 08 8670 7835 as they go into the Simpson regularly, the Birdsville Hotel will only be passing on customers opinions, as will the Pink Roadhouse.

If Barnsey is still at the Birdsville Roadhouse, then he would be the only other one I would ask.

FollowupID: 817151

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2014 at 17:23
Simpson track conditions
AnswerID: 533748

Reply By: pajerio - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:12

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:12
I have just bought my pass to the department of environment as explained in the description...somewhere in the forum :). It is written that : "Desert Park Passes can NOT be forward dated." I would like to let you know that it can be forward dated by a maximum of 60 days.
Cannot wait to hit the road ....
Thanks
AnswerID: 533777

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:49

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:49
Yes, good to do this as you get time to go over the info and maps with plenty of time to plan well.

FollowupID: 817421

Follow Up By: pajerio - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 10:20

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 10:20
Thanks, that was the advice I read somewhere here. Is this the only pass I need ? I think that it is but want to make sure...The Hema maps say "permit required" every where !
My trip should be filling up at Mount Dare, rent a sat phone (booked) fill up, Dalhousies, Purnie, Rig road, then I am undecided to keep on Waa line then up to Knolls track back on French line or go up Colson Track, French line, Erabena track, Waa line up to Knolls track and finish on the Qaa line to Birdsville.
Anyway this look good on the map, and I want to stay around the 600km trip between fill up (my safe limit !). If I missed a must see place, or have a better idea of what to do, or not... let me know.
Thanks
FollowupID: 817471

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 10:35

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 10:35
SADesert Parks Pass covers you for Dalhousie / Mt Dare travel, Simmo, Innaminka and another couple not in that region I can't recall right now.

No permits are being issued for Colson Tk as far as I know, unless this has changed recently Colson Tk permit
FollowupID: 817473

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 11:24

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 11:24
Sorry, you meant that short section of Colson from Rig to FL, that is fine :)
FollowupID: 817479

Reply By: luxtourer - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:00

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:00
Just back from a Simpson crossing west to East, but did the WAA and Rig Rd before heading up to Poeppel Corner and out the QAA line. Probably fairly normal for the QAA dunes, soft sand, not too bad on the western sides, chopped up on the eastern sides. Winds have been moving the sand east to west, so quite a few dunes have a steep littel peak 1 - 2 metres high on western side. All very slow going, say 15km/hr typical travel if you don't want to throw everything around in the back too much - make sure everything's tied down as much as possible.
Very rough road getting to Dalhousie Springs and Purni Bore. Also millions of trail bikes heading west. Maybe just for the Finke races though??

Cheers, John

AnswerID: 533925

Follow Up By: pajerio - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 09:57

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 09:57
Thanks for these details. The more info the better ! I have been tempted to take the rig road and up K1 line to Poeppel corner but I will take a shorter road because of the limited fuel that I can carry with me.
My little Pajero io is very small and was mainly used for single day trip (I have added a few mod to do this trip).
I will make sure that all is well tight up :)

Thanks
FollowupID: 817467

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 10:55

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 10:55
pajero, French Line all the way is the shortest route, and from what I've heard the most sand hills driving fun, if you like sand (I know I do :))

We chose to do our first trip West - East, FL, Rig, WAA, down Erabena to Lone Gum, then Rig again, up Knolls, FL to the cnr, then QAA of course into BV.

Our next trip will be East - West FL all the way :)

I don't think the extra km will add more than another 20lt jerry, but a lot will do with is it petrol or diesel, and your general fuel econ on tracks, or better SAND, as it will suck up maybe 30% more fuel use.

Have you done much sand driving ?

The larger sand hills are over Big Red way, so don't feel deterred about FL and its having more / larger sand hills.
If you can traverse any of the above route you can make it with perseverance and suitable vehicle / skills.

Am I right in thinking from your post you are going solo ?
First crossing ?
If so, research this forum, 4x4 Earth, and 4WDA forums, searching for > solo Simpson < and see what advice you can find.

You'll find tips about hooking up with others, and the possible scenarios to be aware of.
One consolation is there should be many out there if you do strike any problems, but you should not be relying on that !!

For peace of mind a sat phone can be hired at either end and dropped off after wards.
You're going W - E so look on the Mt Dare website for info / costs.
FollowupID: 817476

Follow Up By: pajerio - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 21:28

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 21:28
Yes, it will be a solo crossing, not by choice but...
I have done little sand driving, I am more playing in the Brindabella, mud, snow...so a bit of training before going might be a good idea...
I already booked the sat phone at Mt Dare.
I first thought that not many people will be on this track, but I am starting to understand that it is not the case. Still I am trying to be ready and be well prepare, the best I can be at least.
Thanks
FollowupID: 817648

Sponsored Links