EOTopo questions

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:45
ThreadID: 108117 Views:1953 Replies:5 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
I was about to buy EOtopo and have a few questions.

1. The images on the for sale pages of exploroz show the EOTopo maps at Albury as examples. http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/ExplorOz+EOTopo_200K.aspx#rqc_pane_reviews=&rqc_tabs=2

But these maps don't even show the Freeway through Albury Wodonga that has been in place for some time. Is this representative of the 'updatedness' of EOTopo? I understand it's based on the NATMAP 250k maps (that don't include the freeway), but trying to get a feeling for how quickly EOTOpo will be updated to become reasonably accurate and comprehensive.

2. I don't want to be paying to update such basic information as the Albury bypass later. Will updates be available free by download soon? Despite discussion, downloading a 1.3GB file every now and again is not a big deal for most people these days. Or even better the map could be made 'smart' so you only download a portion.

3. re crowd-sourced updating: Is there an easy way for people to upload updates eg. Drive a track, input some support information such as state of road, location of features eg gates or whatever, and press a button to prepare a file for upload, or to upload immediately?

4. Is there (or can it be set up) a single thread to talk about EOTopo questions like this? I found it quite difficult to find all the info on EOTopo here.

Thanks
Julian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 14:16

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 14:16
My copy of EOTopo is 2014.3 and has the freeway through Albury.
It was a free upgrade, just had to send the SD card back for a replacement.
AnswerID: 533781

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:40

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:40
Rod,

Why did you need to send the card back?

You can download the updates and copy then onto your PC/laptop then copy them wherever you like.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 817263

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:04

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:04
It was last year when it updated from 2013 to the 2014. Anyone that wanted a complete new version had to send their 'cards' back for a new replacement.
Thanks for the info on download availability.
FollowupID: 817266

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:13

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 19:13
I have 2014.3 EOTopo 200K. Is this different to what is being discussed? I can't see any newer than 2014.2 EOTopo.
FollowupID: 817267

Follow Up By: aaardvark - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:00

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:00
Thanks for that Rod, some hard information!

Sand Man - where are the downloadable updates please? The product info still talks about sending your card back.
FollowupID: 817284

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:17

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:17
2014.3 is the latest update Rod.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 817286

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 08:13

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 08:13
Rod,

Under the EOTopo section you will see free downloads & updates.
Click on this and you should find three free files for 2014.3 and the bottom one which is a full all Australia file for registered subscribers.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 817307

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 08:41

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 08:41
Thanks Bill. Just to clarify, are these updates for EOTopo or for the paid for EOTopo 200K?
In other words will the EOTopo 1M Australia 2014.3 (Existing EOTopo customers only) update my purchased EOTopo 200K version 2014.3?

As I said in another post there seams to be 2 versions, downloadable EOTOpo and purchased EOTopo 200K. If this is not correct why pay $94.95 for EOTopo 200K???
FollowupID: 817311

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:00

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:00
If you read the update notes it explIns the 2014.3 update included all new roads.
The notes will probably provide insight into most of your other questions.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 533785

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:00

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 18:00
"Explains"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 817259

Follow Up By: aaardvark - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 21:34

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 21:34
Thanks and yes I have read in several places that upgrades have been made, but that doesn't tell you WHAT was upgraded, how much has been upgraded.

It seemed very strange to use an example map in your advertising that must be the most obviously out of date map in the country, not good for buyer confidence.

What update notes are you referring to please?

Cheers
FollowupID: 817280

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:16

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:16
Click on each line for update info.

EO Topo Update Blogs

There is stacks of info on the maps under the EO Topo tab at the top of the page.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 817285

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:37

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 22:37
"the update notes it explains the 2014.3 update included all new roads"

"all new roads" ? I doubt it. I cant find any notes relating to 2014.3...is this a direct quote or a summary by yourself. Is this suppose to mean "all new roads" submitted via trek notes to EO?

Have to be careful with terminology...maps at this scale will never show all roads...old or new (road networks in entire cities and even small towns are not shown) and for new chums it can be confusing.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 817289

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:28

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:28
"Road data is significantly updated in the new 2014 version, with a major realignment task and import of new highways and major roads that have been recently built in areas surrounding all Australia capital cities, as well as hundreds of minor roads throughout the nation"

My comment of all new roads, was meant to mean all new major roads, I was probably a bit to literal. ;)

I have only just installed 2014.3 last night and have been comparing it to the 250K Rasters, seems to be very good and certainly roads that are relatively new to my area around Melbourne are on the EO Topo.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 817298

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:34

Thursday, Jun 05, 2014 at 23:34
No worries

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817299

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 07:42

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 07:42
I think there is a bit of confusion as to which map set is being talked about. There appears to be 2 versions, EOTopo and EOTopo 200K.

EOTopo and updates is available for download. Latest version is 2014.2.

EOTopo 200K is the one that is purchased and is updated by card replacement, updates not available on line. Latest version is 2014.3.

This is my take on it but happy to be corrected.
AnswerID: 533816

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 13:54

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 13:54
EOTopo actually refers to the ONLINE version of the topographic mapping - and this is not defined to any scale, hence no scale in the name. The zoom controls allow you to increase or decrease the scale of the map you are viewing. ie. we have stored topo mapping data at smaller (more detailed) scales that what we sell on SD/USB. Due to the number of tiles that make up the mapping to allowing this zooming feature, all zoom levels (scale) are not available on hard media. BUT as stated on the EOTopo info page (see here), the data we have stored for EOTopo (online) allows you to view data at 1:56,000,000 (56 Million) down to 1:54,000 (54K).

EOTopo200K is the scale we selected to make available on hard media for purchase as we feel it is the best fit for purpose of indash vehicle navigation in outback areas (our target market). NATMAP was traditionally 250K but due to various reasons, including the resolution of modern hand-held navigation devices and smartphones/tablets etc, Dave decided to release a tiny bit more detail hence the 200K scale. This also means that the 200K maps do not show as much detail as you can obtain from zooming right in online in EOTopo! In fact, Dave has updated the maps in some selected areas to a detail of 50K (eg. Vic High Country).

Now - here's where some people have got a bit confused. We do also make EOTopo maps available for you to access at other scales and these are the ones that you can download them from the website (from the EOTopo page - link above). These are NOT the 200K scale but the 10M, 5M, 2.5M and if you are an existing EOTopo200K customer, you can also download the 1M map. These scales are bigger (ie. less detail) than what you get when you buy the EOTopo200K versions and just simply there for trip planning purposes and are nice to have as an overview. The bigger the number the bigger the scale and the less the detail and therefore the less the file size hence we can offer these maps as downloads.

The 200K map of Australia is too big to make available for download at this stage.

Hope this helps clarify the difference between the files that you see available for download, and the various terminology between the hard media and online EOTopo maps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817328

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 13:57

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 13:57
I posted this above as a followup to Rod, but realised none of you in the post will get a notification so to ensure those in this post see my response, I've copied it here as a reply FYI.

EOTopo actually refers to the ONLINE version of the topographic mapping - and this is not defined to any scale, hence no scale in the name. The zoom controls allow you to increase or decrease the scale of the map you are viewing. ie. we have stored topo mapping data at smaller (more detailed) scales that what we sell on SD/USB. Due to the number of tiles that make up the mapping to allowing this zooming feature, all zoom levels (scale) are not available on hard media. BUT as stated on the EOTopo info page (see here), the data we have stored for EOTopo (online) allows you to view data at 1:56,000,000 (56 Million) down to 1:54,000 (54K).

EOTopo200K is the scale we selected to make available on hard media for purchase as we feel it is the best fit for purpose of indash vehicle navigation in outback areas (our target market). NATMAP was traditionally 250K but due to various reasons, including the resolution of modern hand-held navigation devices and smartphones/tablets etc, Dave decided to release a tiny bit more detail hence the 200K scale. This also means that the 200K maps do not show as much detail as you can obtain from zooming right in online in EOTopo! In fact, Dave has updated the maps in some selected areas to a detail of 50K (eg. Vic High Country).

Now - here's where some people have got a bit confused. We do also make EOTopo maps available for you to access at other scales and these are the ones that you can download them from the website (from the EOTopo page - link above). These are NOT the 200K scale but the 10M, 5M, 2.5M and if you are an existing EOTopo200K customer, you can also download the 1M map. These scales are bigger (ie. less detail) than what you get when you buy the EOTopo200K versions and just simply there for trip planning purposes and are nice to have as an overview. The bigger the number the bigger the scale and the less the detail and therefore the less the file size hence we can offer these maps as downloads.

The 200K map of Australia is too big to make available for download at this stage.

Hope this helps clarify the difference between the files that you see available for download, and the various terminology between the hard media and online EOTopo maps.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533848

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 20:22

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 20:22
Hello Michelle

Don't want sound like a school teacher but thought I'd provide some clarification on the terminology being used in reference to scale.

The bigger the number (i.e. 25K, 50K, 100K, 200K) the smaller the scale - this being the scale of the features displayed e.g. a lake for example is bigger (closer to true size) on a 25K map than on a 200K scale map. It is not correct to say the bigger the number (e.g. 200K) the bigger the scale.

This is obviously confusing as the numbers go up as the scale gets smaller but that's the correct way to refer to it.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817637

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 20:47

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 20:47
Yes that's right. Did I stuff up my explanation of it? Sorry to anyone that I confused if I did.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817641

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 21:37

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 21:37
..dont think it would have confused anyone...in fact it is probably more confusing the right way around :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817649

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 14:08

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 14:08
Hi Julian,
Whilst I've answered Rods' queries, I think I can help you with yours too.

1. Images on the product pages in the shop could well be from the first release and as someone else has confirmed, these roads are on the current release of EOTopo200K. Based on your feedback however, I will ensure we update the images. Fair comment!

2. Updates are simply replacement hard media but if you are an existing customer you don't need to pay the full price so you will receive a brand new full product but pay no more than half price. These are now all managed through the warehouse as we have too many customers to do it manually on send and return which we did on the first update.

3. Yes - send to updates@eotopo.com.au AND upload your file as a User Trek online (this is in the Treks menu tab at the top of the site).

4. Yes - go to the EOTopo page (also in the site menu) and click the Reviews/Discussion tab. At the time of writing this today, I see there are 58 posts there.

Finally, be sure to read the tab on that page about Updates. As explained by John and Val elsewhere in this thread, you will find fully detailed explanations of exactly what is contained in each release update. And for the very technical, you can read the Technical tab.

Hope this helps!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533849

Follow Up By: aaardvark - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 18:19

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 18:19
Thanks Michelle!

I understand what you say above and fyi I have read the EOTopo page without at the time understanding how it was different to the EOTopo200k shop page, and read many posts about EOTopo (some of which are reproduced under the 58 messages on EOTopo page, but not all of them), and read the updates page and the shop page ... but was still confused, partly because of these things:

1- the out of date sample map (that you have addressed, thanks)
2 - conflicting advice that at this early stage updates were to be a) free, or b) at less than 50% of original cost (I was thinking that for new product it is common to provide free updates until the first fully-functional release (which with a map means comprehensive, accurate and up to date))
3 - advice many times to go to the EOTopo page "Update Tab" to see 'full details of all Eotopo200k releases' BUT - this tab doesn't say anything about the release that matters, 2014.3, so does NOT contain info on all versions as promised. Where do I find that info please?
4 - complete confusion in my mind between, for example, the 41 topics in 'Reviews and discussions' on EOTopo 200K page, compared with the 'Reviews and discussions' page on EOTopo page, with currently 58 posts or topics. This is what I meant by having one place for all discussion on EOTopo. Having these two separate, overlapping sets of questions and comment only increases the confusion betweenEOtopo and EOTopo200k, at least to me.

I have actually ordered EOTopo200k and anticipate it will prove excellent. But I would be extremely disappointed if I find I can't use it with confidence until forking out another $100 or $200 for updates.

FYI2 - I decided to buy EOTopo200k despite my unanswered questions after buying EOZi which is just brilliant - the interface for Oziexplorer that Oziexplorer should have been born with. I reckoned that anyone who got that so right must supply great maps.

Cheers,

Julian

FollowupID: 817614

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 18:31
Julian, thanks for your positive comments on EOzi. I'm sure you'll find all your questions are answered when you starting using EOTopo200k.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817704

Follow Up By: aaardvark - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 18:36

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 18:36
Thanks but it's hard work. Can you *please* tell me where I can find info about the latest release 2014.3?

Thanks
Julian
FollowupID: 817705

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 19:16
oh yes, I meant to explain that bit. 2014.3 was only a soft release on hard media as the only change was what was documented in the 2014.2 online release notes. The change was insignificant really and wasn't worth promotion of a major release but at some point all stock of 2014.2 SD/USB cards had run out so instead of burning 2014.2 on the next batch of media, we just put the latest files (2014.3) on them.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817709

Sponsored Links