GU Patrol 2.8td starting problem

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 16:54
ThreadID: 10813 Views:7369 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have recently been experiencing some problems starting my 2.8td 98 GU Patrol, and am wondering if anyone has any advice for me. The problem is that sometimes it will need to crank for a very long time before starting. The majority of the time it starts after a few seconds cranking, but maybe 1 in 3 times it can take a very long time - 10-15 or more seconds. There is normally no noticable smoke, and otherwise it runs pefrectly. I sometimes think that the problem is not as severe if I wait for 5 seconds after the gloe plug light has gone out before cranking (although this doesn't always aleviate the prob.). Have had one mechanic look at it already with no result.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LBJ - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 17:04

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 17:04
bear76, have a look at the black earth wire going to your glow plug rail. they had a problem with the wire melting off for some reason..... another reason could be air getting into your fuel system somewhere due to a loose hose or maybe the filter is not on tight enough and sucking in some air. they did have a service fix out on them when they were in warranty. the fix was to put a cam plate in the injector pump which helped with the timing... thats another point, your timing could possibly be out too. does it happen when its cold or both hot and cold? i know your not supposed to do this but does it clutch start very easy? if so then its not a fuel problem....hope i could help out a bit :)
AnswerID: 48225

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 18:53

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 18:53
I had a similar problem with my Rocky (totally different motor of course, but still deisel). My mechanic had a look and said that it might just be a leaky injector. He said he could replace them all for a few $$$ or I could just try putting some deisel injector cleaner through for a few tanks. I thought it sounded like a pretty weak answer but tried anyway and the problem dissapeared about 2 tanks later and never came back!
AnswerID: 48238

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:38

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:38
bear 76.
This is a known problem. it is a problem with the fuel pump not providing enough fuel at cranking speed. the fix is to place a shim in the pump to increase the flow. Sorry I have not done one so I dont know exactly where the shim goes but if you look back through the postings you will find the name of someone who does. Eric.
AnswerID: 48288

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:12

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:12
Motson's 4WD in Brisbane have developed a kit which they sold to Nissan. If you contact them it costs about $85
Rolande
FollowupID: 310167

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:38

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:38
Eric,

What about a in line pump near the tank.

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 310169

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 00:41

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 00:41
Hi try getting your battery('s) checked had a mates GU having the same (maybe) problem no smoke hard to start wait then ok battery was weak replaced all ok
regards
Richard
AnswerID: 48315

Follow Up By: Diesel Do - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:23

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:23
I had the same problem - from new - for years. 98 Gu 2.8

It disappeared 2 years ago when I replaced the battery. I still wait for the seatbelt light to go out before cranking it, but that's only a few seconds. Sometimes it needs to crank for a couple of seconds (maybe 3-4), and it always dumps a cloud of smoke (usually black, sometimes white) - but it starts every time regardless of the engine or outside temperature.

I wouldn't have believed that the battery would fix it because the old one seemed fine. But then one day I left the engel running for 24 hours, which totalled the 4 year old battery. I was very happy to find that the starting problems were gone, because Nissan hadn't been able to do anything about it for the previous 4 years. That cloud definitely had a silver lining.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 310210

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:37

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 15:37
I had the same problem with my 98 GU2.8tdi - seemed to be cranking over nicely but just wouldn't start - changed the battery and hey presto she fires up immediately. I will say that I usually wait 5 seconds after the glow plug light goes out before hitting the starter (that's when cold). When the engine's hot - don't have to wait for the glow plugs.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 310236

Sponsored Links