Road Conditions: Birdsville to Boulia, Donohue and Plenty Highways

Submitted: Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 07:19
ThreadID: 108132 Views:2852 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi fellow Travellers: We will be setting out on our road trip by caravan from Brisbane to the Stuart Highway NT, late next week. We shall be towing a 19’6” caravan which travels mildly corrugated roads quite well. We shall travel firstly west to Birdsville, then north to Bedourie and Boulia. From Boulia we shall head westwards along the Donohue and Plenty Highways. We would greatly appreciate comments on the states of these roads, commencing at Birdsville - but especially the Donohue and Plenty Highways - from folk who have traversed these roads recently. Any comments re the availability of diesel on the latter Highways would also be appreciated. Thank you all in anticipation of your advice. Regards. Lynton
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 07:35

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 07:35
Hi Lynton,
Travelled from Gem Tree to Jervois a fortnight ago the road was a little rough but easily drivable sticking to one side or the other (a grade three road so my mate tells me). Diesel was available at both places with Jervois the cheapest.
Have fun
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 533815

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 15:23

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 15:23
Lynton,

Probably half the road from Birdsville to Bedourie is bitumen. In maybe 20 years of travelling down there, I've never seen that road BAD.

Bedourie to Boulia should be all bitumen now. Haven't been on the Donohue/Plenty for 3 years so can't comment. Was surprised by the amount of bitumen on the Donohue then. Think some people only comment on the bad bits? There has been about $11M allocated to be spent on the Donohue over the coming year or so.

Enjoy your trip, wish we were heading over that way too,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533856

Reply By: Crocks - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 22:10

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 22:10
Hi Lynton,
Travelled Boulia to Jervois in April.
Boulia to the border was pretty good going. Parts of the Plenty after the border was a little chopped up with bulldust, but good fun. Fuel also available at Tobermorey. Tar now all the way from Bedourie to Boulia. Wasn't happy to see that.
Have fun
Shaun.
AnswerID: 533888

Reply By: craigandej - Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 23:49

Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 23:49
Gday Lynton,

Just came across the Donohue/Plenty into Alice for the Finke Desert Race. Road was great on the Qld side but deteriorated west of Tobermorey. Nothing too bad just corrugations, no deep washouts etc. We averaged around 80km/hr in a troopy not towing anything though.

There are 2 grader crews working at the moment, one around Arthur River, the other close to Harts Range.

Fuel available at Tobermorey, Jervois, Harts Range & Gemtree. Don't have fuel prices sorry, we have long range tanks.

Cheers
Craig & EJ
AnswerID: 533897

Follow Up By: Member - Lynton B (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:01

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:01
Thank you Craig and EJ. Just the info I was looking for. Very helpful. Looking forward to our trip. Praying that rain stays away!
I have seen parts of the Finke River Desert Race track. Wow! Very corrugated, with deep ruts and large undulations. I don't think one would want to take part with a crook back or neck!
Kind regards.
Lynton
FollowupID: 817441

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 13:37

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 13:37
A short downpour can change it all. It's a matter of checking each day. The Birdsville info centre can be rung for road condition updates.
AnswerID: 533922

Reply By: Member - Lynton B (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:04

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:04
Thanks to you all. All responses were very helpful for planning our trip. Regards. Lynton
AnswerID: 533956

Sponsored Links