Camper trailer in the Wet

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 17:07
ThreadID: 10814 Views:2088 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Am off to the Kimberley about a job and a bit of a tour (my girlfriend's never been up there). I've never been there during the wet and I was thinking we'd just sleep in swags. I get the impression that this isn't a good idea in such wet conditions. I can take the family camper trailer but I don't like to tow unless I have too and I can imagine it may be more of a hinderance if I have to ford through the floodways. What would you wise forumites advise?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brett - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 18:29

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 18:29
The camper trailer will be welcomed each night.

You may need to plan and be more vigilant at finding out road conditions before you travel. It really depends on how long you intend to be away.
AnswerID: 48235

Follow Up By: Poida4x4 - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 18:57

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 18:57
I'm off for 2 weeks. I'll be working for 4-5days but my Mum and Girlfriend will tour around a bit without me.
FollowupID: 310132

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:00

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:00
If you take your CT make sure you got plent tyre to guard clearance, the mud build up can lock the wheels solid in a very short distance.
AnswerID: 48241

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:38

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 19:38
She'd pretty wet up north. Hope you get there first. I won't be comfortable to sleep in a swag till about mid April. Too bloody hot mate. You camper trailer should be OK. If you do venture off the road test the ground first as some of the country can be bottomless when wet. Have fun.
Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 48249

Reply By: RayMc - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:17

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:17
Good luck with the job. I know your mum is very keen to get back into her old stomping grounds. I agree that the CT will be the go. Not only to keep drier, but to try and keep those mozzies at bay (and there will be plenty about). Have a great time, Ihave no doubt that the CT will be greatly appreciated and make sure that plenty of photo's are taken (it'll give your mum more to brag about).
Cheers
RayMc
AnswerID: 48253

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 00:14

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 00:14
Poida,
weve had 25mm of rain in the last hour with the outlook of more of the same for at least 2 days. Current humiidty is 93 % and this is just the Pilbara where it rarely rains.
This means that not only will the roads be closed/hazardous/impassable but it is going to be unbelievably uncomfortable camping whether in a camper trailer or a swag. Your girlfriend may never want to go there again and that would be a crying shame.
As much as I'd love to see the Kimberley in the wet I've only ever gotten to Broome and then it was resort style. You just gotta have that air conditioning I'm afraid. We always offset the cost by utilising self contained accommodation and preparing our own meals.
However having said all that it could be a bucketload of fun. Just be wary that current road conditions and the heavy rainfall that is currently on us may make a lot of those floodways impassable anyway.Live the life you love -
Love the life you live !!!
AnswerID: 48311

Follow Up By: colin - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:15

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 21:15
have to agree with coops you dont travel in the north in the wet season, roads are impassable, if you get stuck you wait till the dry and the mozzies are un beleivable. Col
FollowupID: 310285

Sponsored Links