Troopie drawers system/bed arrangement

Submitted: Friday, Jun 06, 2014 at 23:00
ThreadID: 108148 Views:6616 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All - experts in 4WD
my husband and I are pretty new to this wonderful Aussie adventure. We just bought 2010 Troopcarrier GXl, we removed/sold the back seat...and are having problems with trying to find a perfect design for a back drawers system.

we would like to sleep inside but also have a kitchen removed from a side of a car (no problem with this one), 40l fridge removed to the back of a car.... Plus it would be nice to have some leg room between the "beds" so when we wake up we could still stay inside with feet down. so our problem is a design for a bed for us.

we cannot find a solution for this one except of: one single "bed" (or mattress) on the left hand side, fridge sliding to the back and then another single bed built above the fridge on the right.

has anyone out there built anything inside the troopie and it is working for you? we don't want to buy a 4WD trailer with a nice big tent/bed. has anyone built anything like that?

Also, do you know what is the best car seat to replace cars seats in this car? we find Troopie's seats not comfortable comparing with our Sedan Honda or Toyota Hilux.

thanking you in advance - any advice would be greatly appreciated. Have fun travelling this beautiful country !

Margaret
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 08:18

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 08:18
Hi Margaret,

Please check out this blog Our Troopy Setup.

Our Troopy is of mature age (been working well since 1987!) and has covered a lot of Australia for us over the last decade or more. What you'll see in the blog is our solutions to the bed, fridge and drawers issues. (Click the photos to expand.) We use a full width bed ( there really isn't room for separate beds), with 2 foam mattresses and full width bedding. Since I'm more proficient with woodwork than metal, our drawers are from timber and mdf and have survived unexpectedly well (and they don't add metal to metal rattles!). The bed base is set just high enough to clear the 40 litre fridge which means there isn't a lot of headroom when in bed - not uncomfortably so, but you quickly learn not to sit up in bed!

Seat comfort isn't a feature of Troopies, but is probably much better now than in our old one. We haven't fitted non-Troopy seats, mainly because of the costs of decent 4WD ones and meeting the formalities.

Should also mention - Troopies are big, but get very full on a big trip. We added a light trailer to the rig a few years back to carry some of the overflow. Suggest you don't rule out a trailer in the longer term. Ours is an old Road and Track which ceased production years ago, but you still see the occasional one. They provide a gas kitchen down one side and the rest is storage - fibreglass shell on a solid metal chassis with Troopy wheels, lockable, all weighing in at around 250 kg empty.

Enjoy!

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 533901

Follow Up By: margaretr - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 08:54

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 08:54
thank you so much Val and John! this is a very useful reply and a great blog and you have created a nice home from home:-) - this bed looks great! I will read your blog over the weekend and for sure it will give me some ideas. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 817377

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 09:56

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 09:56
Hi Margaret,

Forgot to mention one trap with modifying a Troopy or other vehicle - your Troopy was approved for use in Australia in a particular configuration. eg, ours started life as an 11 seater. Taking out the back seat/s, in our case to permanently create a 3 seat configuration, meant that it no longer matched its compliance plate and therefore was no longer approved for use in Australia! The insurance consequences could be a nightmare. It didn't cost much to have an engineer issue a certificate approving the removal of seats, but if you are thinking of changing front seats, suggest don't overlook the need for engineering approval. This might limit your options a bit.

Don't let this dampen your enthusiasm, and we wish you great fun in modifying your Troopy. (It really is fun!)

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 817388

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 08:42

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 08:42
definitly not cheap but putting in a pop top with bed works well
means your bottom is for storage etc and the bed is like a roof top tent
AnswerID: 533903

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:08

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:08
Hi Margaret,

We have a Troopy setup similar to John and Val but there are two full-length drawers on the left with stowage and the fridge on the right. The fridge actually hangs on the door as shown here. It is arranged to sit on the floor as the door closes.

The bed is a double size, full width of the body and fixed with slatted base and 6" foam mattress. Very comfortable but you do need to be able to dress in a sitting position!
All our cooking is performed outside. An aluminium folding table with the LPG camping stove sitting at one end. An overhead awning is quick to set up if needed.

Before acquiring our Troopy we hired one with an internal kitchen and a bench seat that opened to a bed. We learned how to do "Synchronised Turning" in bed! LOL

After our first trip across the Simpson Desert we realised the need for better seating and invested in Sratos suspension bucket seats. Unbelievably comfortable but also very expensive at over $3000 fitted. Some people have fitted car seats from a wrecker and may respond with advice.

As John has said, storage space is at a premium, especially as the bed occupies the upper half of the space. All our clothing is accommodated in overhead soft lockers and we have to be very economic in the amount of stuff carried but experience has taught us how to cope. Surprising what you can do without when you put your mind to it.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 533909

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:12

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:12
Great idea for the fridge setup Allan.
I haven't seen anyone do that before.
FollowupID: 817394

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:37

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:37
Yes it works well Les, better than a slide. But because of height restriction, fridge size is limited. The photo may be deceptive, the fridge lid just clears the bed underside. Ours is only 35litre and I would be happier if it was a bit larger.
It could be possible to surrender that corner of the bed to allow a greater height as the expense of some leg room and as it is on Roz's side, well maybe ........ 'nuff said!
If the fridge ever needs replacing we could consider that.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 817403

Follow Up By: margaretr - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:59

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:59
A great advice and a setup. Thanks a lot Guys for such a prompt response and such a useful advice. Great forum! I will let you know what we decided to do. we were planning to have it done by Christmas this year.
FollowupID: 817408

Follow Up By: margaretr - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 18:42

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 18:42
I love the fridge solution...we are going to discuss it with the guys doing drawers for us.
can you please take me what sort of gas kitchen and a sink you are using? we will have a kitchen sliding out of the left hand side of a car. I am not sure if i should install 2 burner with a sink (combo unit) or separate units with glass covers? what does work better? (and what brand do YOU have?)

it is only 2 of us travelling hence 2 burner is sufficient in my view - but I am not sure about a combo unit or separate units. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
FollowupID: 818989

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 15:38

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 15:38
Sorry Margaret, we went away for a few days.
Our gas stove is a simple two-burner folding camp stove that sits on the table. We find two-burner quite adequate for us. Sink is a plastic washbowl that also goes on the table.

The two under-and-over drawers are just for storage.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 819165

Reply By: Troopyman - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 15:47

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 15:47
What about these guys .
http://www.drifta.com.au/
AnswerID: 534078

Sponsored Links