Mars Camper Trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 00:34
ThreadID: 108150 Views:17189 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My cousin from Warrnambool Vic turned up with his brand new Mars Camper Trailer , and was staggered to hear him say it only cost $7,500 brand spanking new ! Made in China of course to be that cheap .Its only new so a bit early to find defects , but only thing he had to do was fit a cover over the tool box where the opening handle and lock are , when it rains fills up with water . comes with pull out kitchen drawer . Amazing ! I know about the old saying " You get what you pay for " but this is ridiculously cheap
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 09:35

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 09:35
Please keep us undated.

Is this a hard floor camper?

Cheers
AnswerID: 533906

Follow Up By: Brian - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:25

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:25
G'day Cruiser , yes it is a hard floor camper . a lot of alloy checker plate on show all round the exterior of the camper Underneath the floor on all 4 corners there is a round stop which to a certain degree would keep the bottom of the floor off the ground
FollowupID: 817418

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:02

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 10:02
I met a bloke outback last year who had a new Chinese hard floor camper that cost about the same. He had done a fair bit of follow-up work on it himself because it was obvious that it wouldn't do the job on our long gravel roads, as delivered. I think his work included a few replacement bits too. There was a fair bit of duct tape on display also; I presume the dust proofing was a shocker. That said, the point that this particular happy camper made was that he wanted it for two long outback trips and didn't care what it was worth after that ! Reliability aside, that's probably good economics :-o).
AnswerID: 533907

Follow Up By: Brian - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:40

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:40
G'day there Darian ,
would a vehicle this require light truck tyres ?? i wouldnt think it would be carrying a lot of weighty gear or are there other factors that would determine the use of light truck rubber ?? Is 6 ply rated as light truck ??
FollowupID: 817419

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:02

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:02
The terrain to be covered, rather than the load, would dictate tyre choice in my view...... for reliable travel* on gravel roads that get stony in places, the light truck class is certainly the go. There are lots of makes and models in that class to choose from, some starting at modest prices in the smaller rim sizes.
As for ply ratings - far as I know, the load range figure (C, D, E) is favoured as an indicator of 'toughness' (mainly because ply ratings and actual plies are not the same thing). Load indexes are a guide too - numbers like 120 - 123 are at the high end (BFG AT - Cooper ST etc.).
*One still has to take it quite easy though and adjust pressures up and down, where indicated !

FollowupID: 817442

Reply By: Shaul A - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 22:01

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 22:01
I have just bought a Mars CT for $4400 brand new! Yes it is made in China, but at that price the value for money is incredible.
I will be interested to see how long some of the components last, but the trailer and tent seem to be reasonable quality.
Towed it from Mel to ADL with no issues and used it for the first time with a wet night, no complaints.
Very happy with it!
AnswerID: 534219

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 17:48

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 17:48
Thanks Shaul A ,
my cousins CT for $7,500 must have had a few more bells and Whistles than yours ! Apparently the price include rego , everthing , of course no one could expect the same quality as eg Ultimate or similar but it is so cheap
FollowupID: 817842

Reply By: my4x4 - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:09

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:09
Brian,
I have had the same camper for 28 months, same features but different brand. Paid $5500 ebay.
We live in Ballarat. We have been to Mungo N/P to Broken Hill. (dirt roads) Flinders Rangers and Carnarvan Gorge N/P. The Camper is great.
What I have done is silicone all joins under the camper. Added 2 extra 20ltr jerry can holders for fuel and installed a circut breaker and internal / external 24volt outlets.
Our next trip in September this year is to Camerons Corner.
We love the Camper. Not a TVAN, but so far so good, and it didn't cost me $40k!
AnswerID: 534491

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:27

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:27
There's some good info to be found on MySwag forum regarding the cheaper Chinese made camper trailers. Several members on that forum have given honest reviews of what they own, and what upgrades they have done to them. A common complaint seems to be the lack of grease found in the wheel bearings when they pull them out to see what type they are so as to get spares, hub seals also may be an odd size and hard to source for some makes aswell one person has mentioned (he's currently trying to find some the same size in Australia and not having much luck apparently).
Not sure if you'll need to join the forum to view this link i've added, but it's a good read IMHO for decent info from people who own them if your looking at going down the road of buying one of these campers http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=37797.msg611495#msg611495
AnswerID: 534493

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:28

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 18:28
when i say "these campers" i didn't mean the Mars Camper Trailer brand as the heading is about...was meaning the cheaper Chinese Campers in general
FollowupID: 818132

Sponsored Links