What do You Want in a Caravan Park?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:06
ThreadID: 108157 Views:3289 Replies:26 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I don't want to start another Caravan Park V Free camping thread, okay...

As some of you know Karen & I used to manage the Mt Dare Hotel, we now manage the Tennant Creek Caravan Park, (Not an advertisement Mod's).

What I want to know is, what do the people who frequent close to town caravan Parks want?

What I want in a caravan Park when I'm travelling is:
- Clean amenities.
- Friendly reception staff.
- a choice of sites, shady, not shady, grass etc...
- facilities that work, no blocked drains, taps that work, dunnies that flush etc...
I'm pretty easily pleased, so what I'm happy with may not necessarily be adequate for the more discerning traveler.

So, what are your minimum requirements when stopping at a Caravan Park that is close to a town, I'm not talking remote which will have different needs.

Looking forward to a bunch of varied responses.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:39

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:39
Jeff,

I think you have pretty much covered what I would expect as basic requirements.
The only other criteria that come to mind would be adequate number of facilities in the ablution block(s) to cope with seasonal demands and to feel reasonably secure while parked up. I don't mean an armed guard posted on each site. Just some parks I have been in did not convey that feeling, falsely maybe??
I know each of us need to take responsibility for our own basic security but some parks just "feel" right.
Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 533926

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:31

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:31
As a lot of newer vans have their own showers etc. some parks are reducing the number of toilets/showers, I feel that this is a mistake as they will still use the parks facilities when in the park.

As far as security goes, I've had comments from guests that some parks have that "correctional institute" feel, there needs to be adequate security to deter the casual crook, but no amount of security will deter the ones that must have what you have.

Ease of access is another thing, where some parks with keypad/swipe card activated gates I find a pain, but sometimes necessary.

FollowupID: 817424

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:45

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:45
I haven't stayed in cara parks much Jeff, but did at Birdsville late April for a couple of nights.
We liked the community BBQs and tables etc (which are probably supplied in most parks).

Also appreciated the campfire areas for a social sit around.
These seemed to be supplied even in the camper / caravan areas.
Even a decent fireplace for say every 4 or 5 sites would be ample, wood could be BYO, supplied by park at a nominal fee inclusive price, or sold in small bags at park reception.

Clothes washing facilities were under the hammer, my missus ended up hand washing a few items in the laundry, due to the many people using the machines, and it wasn't too busy.
I didn't get to see what the laundry was like, try to avoid being near such places :D
AnswerID: 533927

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:45

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:45
Camp kitchens with BBQ's etc... tick!

Fires in Caravan Parks can be problematic, we had two fire places here when we moved in, but I've since removed them, firstly they were snake havens, secondly fires in close proximity to tents... hmmm, still not sure about that, I fabricated some fire pigs at Mt Dare & they work well there, maybe I'll make a few here & see how they go?

FollowupID: 817426

Reply By: Derek Jones - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:59

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 14:59
All of the above + some reasonable recreational activities (swings, games room et al) for the travelling family.

Obviously client demographics will play a part in 'what is needed' to differentiate your CP from others.
AnswerID: 533929

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:47

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:47
There is a definite need to have those sort of things in "Family" parks, but they can turn off some the older generation of travelers.

FollowupID: 817427

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 13:49

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 13:49
Therein lies the rub Jeff. One persons meat is another's offal.

One of the challenges that I think the 'free camper' needs to accept in this age is that any type of camping that comes with a 'service', irrespective whether it's rubbish removal or toilets, will come with a price.

The alternate challenge for providers of camping and services is to offer alternatives that are price based and attractive to the customer.

I've been to a couple of towns where the council offered a short stay option at the local park or showground to the objection (with some justification) of the local CP owner(s). One solution that I've seen work is where the council decided to sub-contract out running of the facilities, with 1st offer to the local CP owner to run it as an adjunct to the main park, albeit at a lesser p/n price as the facilities were basic. The CP owner still gets a cut from the traveling public, while those on a budget have an alternative.

Or another option would be for the CP owner to offer a 'limited facility' option (basic showers & toilet / no power) to those who want it at a lesser price. If the traveler wants power / pool / laundry, etc - then they pay the standard rates....

From my and my fellow traveling companions perspective - all we usually need is a clean & functional shower, toilets, and laundry and maybe a bit of shade. Also a camp kitchen is good. Otherwise the rest is all unnecessary fluff ...

FollowupID: 817682

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 14:47

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014 at 14:47
Scott,

I'm in the process of planning a trip across to Townsville in September, I am looking at free camps, not for the cost savings but as a change to CPs & finding roads that I haven't travelled yet, (not easy).

We will be staying at bush camps, remote pubs, small town caravan parks & a large chain Caravan Park in Townsville.

Looking forward to it...

FollowupID: 817687

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:02

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:02
Jeff,

your list is pretty accurate for amenities etc, but one little park we went to in Capella in QLD has earned a reputation that spans the country for its Happy Hours.

The young (well, younger than me) hosts let everyone know that the HH was on and provided a selection of nibbles and encouraged people to bring some of their own as well.

They actively brought out conversations from the guests and everyone really enjoyed themselves.

Another park with a much more established and comprehensive HH is the park at Ilfracombe just east of Longreach. It also has a nation wide rep amongst the caravanning fraternity.

I think if you get people to come out of their shells a little and encourage them to meet and mingle they will really enjoy themselves and your business will benefit a lot.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 533930

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:06

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:06
The memories start flooding back:

Two other parks that do this well are Standown Park near Tin Can Bay and Sapphire Caravan Park, both in QLD, a State that does tourism very well.

Both very sociable and thus memorable.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817423

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:50

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:50
Happy Hour, Bush Poet, singers etc. in the common areas, works well in some places.

FollowupID: 817428

Follow Up By: Member - Silverchrome - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:13

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:13
Yes Ilfracombe was very special. When we were there last year they had a female vocalist for happy hour. Also had valet parking...i.e. when you arrived they had a person to help you (guide) reverse into your site.
FollowupID: 817438

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 23:01

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 23:01
Agree with Gone Bush about Capella, great couple and the HH is a great way to meet other travelers for an exchange of experiences.

We like friendly hosts & clean facilities go a long way with us, if we have those we will be back and spread the word.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 817450

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:12

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:12
Jeff nice way to do a bit of market research.
My needs are pretty much covered by what you listed.
What i would like however is different.
1. Campsites that are not crammed together, or have some sort of screening be that vegetation or man made.
2. Because i holiday with my pets recognition of that by allocating a campsite in line with that. (in my case dogs so less visual stimulation, so corner site or similar). Happy to pay a premium or deposit to show good faith.
The needs of those that are just overnighting to those that are looking for a longer term stay are different so I hope you can get that right.
Good luck with it all.
AnswerID: 533932

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:54

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:54
Thanks Karl,

Pet friendly parks are a must in my opinion, large areas for the pets is nice, but may be unachievable in some places, we are actually thinking of having pet "yards" next to some of our cabins for people travelling in cars with their pets, as you cannot allow pets in the cabins.
FollowupID: 817429

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 14:03

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 14:03
Jeff, that is an excellent idea, the pet yards.
Prior to our caravan owning days we sometimes stayed in cabins when travelling, especially when shifting between jobs etc, and had to leave the dogs on the ute, or in the wagon when we had the 100s with the windows half down.
We always travel with our dogs no matter what, so are always on the hunt for dog friendly parks. WA is probably still the worst state for finding dog freindly accomodation.

Cheers
Al
FollowupID: 817497

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 15:15

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 15:15
Right about that Al have holidayed in the SW of WA and stayed at a couple of places that had secured yards for the dogs not that we ever left them but it was good to have the ability to have them off lead. One thing i did for a business in the Swan Valley is i correlated dog exercise areas and drew up a list for them to give to their guests.
FollowupID: 817505

Reply By: paula p1 - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:50

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 15:50
Hi Jeff,
Have stayed at your park a few times, must say very well run and very friendly.
What I need in a park is:-
1. NO smokers next to me, I have asthma.
2. Clean toilets and showers and not a mile (2klm) to walk to get there.
3. No ability to shake hands through the window with the neighbor (too close).
4. Leashed, non yapping pets allowed.
5. Laundry machines in working condition and filters cleaned regularly.
6. Patrons that whistle from morning to night to come under need no 4.

That's about it, good luck with your research, finally someone is asking the right questions of the right people.
Cheers GOF Paula
AnswerID: 533933

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 16:25

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 16:25
Thanks for that, can't help with the whistlers, but good points about the filters.

FollowupID: 817433

Reply By: 08crd - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 16:44

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 16:44
One thing I really appreciate is something to stand on when getting undressed and redressing after showering.
Having replacement knees and a hip, makes it very arkward to get dressed without ending up with all my clothing wet.
Those door matts made from cut up car tires work well. I usually carry one, but I'm sure many people don't.
Also the other half hates it when there is no soap to wash your hands in the toilet block.
AnswerID: 533936

Reply By: Slow one - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 17:29

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 17:29
Jeff,
many things have been mentioned and to just add to the list.

Showers with plenty of hooks and somewhere dry for clothing.

Showers that are hot and don't run out of hot water. We don't mind paying for a timed shower as some use them as heaters, running the system out of hot water. This can be done by charging a night rate and then giving back say $3 in coins per person per night to operate the shower, after that they pay for extra time.

Level sites are nice which doesn't worry you where you are + sites that are reasonably easy to access. I have had to back my van into some sites that were designed for much smaller vans. Can do it, but after a long day I don't need the hassle. Trimming trees back is also great to stop them rubbing on the van at night.

AnswerID: 533941

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 17:47

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 17:47
Hi Jeff, Won't be making it to Tennant Creek this year but will next. ( Will make Mt Dare though).
Un-powered sites and assuming you have telephone reception or wi-fi, a place to sit with your computer for a bit.
Nothing stands still so customer requirements/expectations are ever changing. Another good way, apart from asking as you have here, is ask people to fill in a questionnaire before they leave. The questions on it though need to be very well thought out, as not done properly, does more harm than good.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533943

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:21

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:21
Say G'day to all at Mt Dare when you get there.

This park will be undergoing major changes over the off season, all suggestions will be taken into consideration, but he who holds the gold rules so I don't expect all to be implemented.

We have thought about a questionnaire but have been too busy to get into it properly.

FollowupID: 817456

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 17:58

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 17:58
Hi Jeff,
I stayed at a caravan park once that had a 'family' room in the amenities block. In it was a shower, toilet, basin plus a small bath - great for kids. Also great for families with kids of different sexes, either parent can use it with their kids and not be restricted by mum taking the girls and dad having to take the boys. I really loved it.
I also like the parks that have choice of site sizes. Our hard floor camper opens out backwards and if we put the kids room on the end of that we end up with a very long set-up.
Cheers,
Leanne
AnswerID: 533945

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:43

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:43
I like the Idea of a "Family Room" I also have been at parks that have them & thought then that it was a good idea.

We currently have dedicated "Camper trailer" sites, they have a combination of long concrete slabs for hard floor campers & large grassy areas for soft floor campers, but I suspect that they will go to provide more drive through sites, they will be replaced by another large grassy area for both tent & trailer based campers.

FollowupID: 817458

Reply By: Jarse - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:15

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:15
Gidday Jeff,

We use a mix of parks and free camping when we travel. Moreso free camping. This is what would get us into more parks:

We would like more flexible (and affordable) pricing, in that we pay for the facilities and services we need, and not for what we won't use.

Lower the base site rate and offering very basic facilities, ie a powered or unpowered site with water and sullage (and that's it) is a good starting point.

Offer a discount for solo travellers (sites are based on 2 adults).

For example - we don't travel with kids, so it's unlikely we'll need to use jumping pillows, mini golf, play equipment etc. Parks have a blanket site rate whether you have kids (and use these facilities) or not. Some charge for kids, some don't. The base rate should reflect no kids.

For those that have their own showers/toilets (we don't have a shower) - a discount off the rate (or charge on a per person/daily basis for a key to the amenities. Sometimes we need the amenities, and other times when it's just a quick overnight stop we don't.

If parks were more flexible with pricing (as mentioned above), we'd use them more.
AnswerID: 533948

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:47

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:47
All good suggestions, some we currently do as far as charging a flat rate of $10 per adult for unpowered sites, regardless of what you're staying in.

FollowupID: 817459

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 17:53

Thursday, Jun 12, 2014 at 17:53
My thoughts entirely. Small entry fee, basic facilities only eg power, water, sullage, toilets, user pays for extras ie jumping pillows, swimming pool etc by cash or token by gated entry. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 817843

Reply By: Member - Silverchrome - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:16

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:16
Hi Jeff,

I prefer long sites in caravan parks where I can leave the tow vehicle attached to the van rather than having to disconnect and park adjacent to van. This is helpful if you arrrive late and are only staying for a short visit.
Cheers
AnswerID: 533949

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:49

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 08:49
Yep agree, long site with drive through. Tick.

FollowupID: 817460

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:41

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:41
i guess cheap alternative to free camping

when your showing up at a place between 4 pm and 6 pm and leaving around 8am and getting slugged $20 and up per person per night for an unpowered site - thats a fairly expensive shower ......
so maybe a basic overnight stay area?
AnswerID: 533951

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 21:36

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 21:36
I would agree with this concept. If I am paying all but $5 of the price of a powered site then I'd like the unpowered site to be as close to the amenities as the powered site (and look as nice). Either that or a cheap paddock.
Thanks for asking
Cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 817448

Reply By: pepper2 - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:50

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 18:50
One thing that we have a dislike for is specified min number of days that you can stay,eg min 2 night stay or at peak times min 7 days in popular locations.I understand the economic reason that the park owner has this policy.

This is inconvenient when we are travelling some distance and only want or are able to stay overnight as we move on the next day due to a pre planned schedule.

Also i will not book over the internet as i have a hard floor fold out camper that can not use sites that slope higher at the rear (camper wont fold out properly due to rising ground level under the hard floor section ).Cant assess site suitability on the net.
AnswerID: 533953

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:02

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:02
Hi Jeff,
I endorse your list and would only add a note about showers.
The places that have acceptable showers are few and far between.
As 08crd said, a minimum is a floor mat so you can get dry and put your clothes on without the problem of a wet floor. Very, very few have them but they are appreciated.

The shower heads need attention too. They are often inadequate or not maintained.

At the rates charged by most parks, the showers are pathetic.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 533955

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:37

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:37
Adequate disabled facilities, or at the very least hand rails in the showers. Often unable to source disabled facilities, as I don't look disabled enough, or they don't have any, resulting in an inability to shower safely. Hand rails at the very least, will go a long way in not ending up on the ground.
AnswerID: 533957

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:56

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 19:56
Brilliant idea on doing market research! Some excellent answers for you to mull over!
The only thing I can add is my fear of jumping pillows...we were positioned within earshot of one at Cania Gorge Qld and it self-inflated at 7am and deflated at 7pm. 12 hours of screaming kids!
I'm not the fun police...but some kids' entertainment is louder than others!
Love your idea of pet yards-yes, travellers with dogs would appreciate that. Permitting accompanied pets means that if the owners leave the park, the pet goes too!
Mats and hooks in showers-yes!
Camp kitchens with "extras" goes a long way in my books. A microwave, an electric jug, a toaster, hot water, a stove top...these things are such a nice touch for campers. It allows you to do a few small things (boil a few eggs, etc) without dragging everything out of your kitchen boxes.
As for enough washing machines...who knows how many you need! At Birdsville, everyone has come through the outback for "how many days" and has a nice ol' bundle of washing that none of us could jump over! I remember the Birdsville washing machines almost going 24 hours a day! Nah-we did ours in Windorah instead. Just one more day in smelly clothes!
:)

AnswerID: 533959

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 20:15

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 20:15
Jeff, as others have said you have most of it covered.
Myself I like a drive through site [29' 5'er] as overall I'm 13m long.
No low branches to hit roofs and wide roadways for backing in.
Easily accessabledump point with [non potable water for wash out of cassette.]
As I'm self contained I only need potable water as well.
Congrats for asking for info.

PeterH
AnswerID: 533960

Reply By: gerard m2 - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 20:58

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 20:58
Great topic,

Like most of the other posts here I think you have pretty much nailed it. The only thing I would add to your list would clearly defined sites, we have stayed at quite a few parks where it can be hard to figure out what your site boundaries are.
AnswerID: 533963

Reply By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 21:26

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 21:26
Jeff all of the above has merit.I travel with a reasonable size dog,the thing that annoys me the most is park owners not enforcing that dogs must be on leads.I have stayed at that many parks that tell you dogs must be on leads at all times to find the buggers of lead running around.That is my biggest issue.
AnswerID: 533965

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 21:35

Saturday, Jun 07, 2014 at 21:35
Jeff,

Have never frequented caravan parks much, as yet, but I'd like the following:

- Ablution blocks same or similar to Birdsville. Plenty of hot water, and every time I've been there they always smelled clean.Well, except just after daylight, when things got a bit gasey :-)

- Smile like Jennifer Hawkins would be nice, but failing that a pleasant, welcoming nature makes a nice start.

- Not fussed about sites, but if it's hot, then more shade the better. Have spent a lot of time at Barkly Homestead the last few years, and their "herringbone" type of site arrangement seems to work well. Each site is divided from the other by raised sections, though am not sure if there'd be enough room for full annexe. Awnings okay.

- Would expect all plumbing to work. Have seen those rubber mats, like lattice, that work well in the shower, as long as they are hung up after use. Knowing the general public, you might have to chain them to the shower rose or something though.

- Maybe sections where the G N's could get away from the back packers, or the ringers, in town for a party etc. Or maybe they could be advised to go to a motel, eh?

Thanks for the opportunity to comment, Jeff. Hope you get inundated with plenty of "good" clients.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 533967

Reply By: Ozrover - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 09:00

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 09:00
Thanks for all of the replies.

All good suggestions, some doable some not so.

As I said earlier we will be doing a lot of upgrades to this park over the coming year & I'm hoping to include a lot of your suggestions.

I think there will never be the perfect Caravan Park to please all customers, some like more family oriented activities, some just want a nice clean quiet park to relax in (me as well), some want all of the bells & whistles, some don't.

Thanks again, & keep the suggestions coming.

AnswerID: 533985

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 14:55

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 14:55
Hi Geoff,
Top questions and some good replies. Here are our thoughts, as a retired couple who travel in a Troopy plus small gear (not camping) trailer, not needing electricity. On a trip we only use caravan parks when we need to spend a while in a town, or to do the washing and have a really good shower.

So to cover those needs we look/hope for a really good, clean ablutions block with plumbing that works - hot water coming in, dirty water draining out, and showers designed so that there is a reasonable chance of getting dry and dressing after a shower without becoming a contortionist. Arrangements such that we can keep our clothes dry, hang our clothes up, somewhere to put the shampoo and soap. I have fond memories of a Qld roadhouse that once actually provided a bathmat - luxury.

There should be enough washing machines so that you don't have to spend half a day in a queue waiting for a machine to become free. The machines should work, be clean and not cost a small fortune to use. A drier is good to have for wet weather but generally I like to be able to use a clothesline, but often there just isn't enough line space and/or the lines are poorly situated so that drying is slow.

A camp kitchen is good, especially if there is a decent freezer (to freeze the bulk meat you have just bought locally and repackaged etc) and a hot plate or oven to cook up a few meals for the next stage of the journey.

We only need a small site but it needs to be level. We do dislike those parks that treat those using unpowered sites as second class citizens, giving them the worst sites in the whole park. Some parks sadly seem to attract those with the attitude that anyone not in a huge van and washed-daily vehicle is beneath their notice - as a result a decidedly unfriendly atmosphere develops. Some grass and shade is good. A table is a nice touch but not essential.

Access to wifi either in the camp kitchen area or in a designated area would be good.

Somewhere to do work on the vehicle including an oil change. Maybe also a place to give the vehicle a wash and clean-out. Somewhere to store vans or trailers if the local attractions require that.

Reasonable security is desirable, but not to the point of becoming Fort Knox.

As others have said a happy hour is a pleasant touch, enabling travellers to mix and swap travel experiences. We look for opportunities to chat to other travellers rather than too much laid-on entertainment that can stifle chat or make it difficult for those of us with geriatric grade hearing.

Price is probably the most contentious thing about caravan parks. Of course its going to cost, so we look for good value. We don't like rip-offs or being forced to pay for facilities that we don't use such as children's play areas. It must be possible to charge a base rate with additional charges for optional extras ie user pays. Also as we dont usually book ahead we dont want to pay for a lot of advertising especially where there is little competition anyway. Or the costs associated with belonging to a chain with attendant membership fees and "loyalty" rewards.

And cheerful, helpful staff make a great first impression, though we can understand that the attitude and behaviour of some people might eventually turn otherwise saints into front-desk dragons.

To sum up - helpful staff, and clean, functioning facilities. A no-frills CP for a no-frills fee.

Cheers,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817501

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 17:18

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 17:18
Hi John & Val,

All good points,

We've worked in/managed a variety of Caravan Parks/resorts etc.. as well as stayed at a lot over the years & having mats in the showers is problematic when it comes to hygiene, personally as long as I have somewhere to hang my clean clothes without getting them wet is a must, a bench to sit on while getting dressed as well.

I also think that a well thought out camp kitchen with BBQs, cookers, microwaves, fridges etc. is also desirable, it also serves as a meeting area & if someone wishes to get out a guitar then so be it, (a big telly to watch the V8s is also nice).

FollowupID: 817509

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 21:37

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 21:37
IMHO shower mats need to be of the old car tyres cut into strips and wired together type. Often used as door mats. If you shower in public places you are mad if you do not wear crocs or thongs for your own protection. The purpose of the mat is so that if you drop something or you are putting your pants on that they do not touch the wet floor. As far as hygiene is concerned, with no mat there will likely be germs lurking in any wet environment, and while a mat could well harbour more germs there less likely to be on the top, as I said before people should wear crocs or thongs. Thinking outside the square, could you have a rack outside the showers to hang the mats. You take one in and return it when finished. Spending time in the sun will dry them out and fry the little nasties. It will cost you a beer if you use this idea.
Cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817537

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 09:05

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 09:05
Chris,

My problem with mats in wet areas is that no matter how many systems you put in place to keep them clean, they will still be germ collectors.

People will not hang them up after their shower, it adds more work for the cleaners, which means that unless you have fastidious cleaners then they won't get cleaned properly, & so on.

If people want shower mats, fine they can carry a light weight one with them, have it rolled up with their wet bag, towel etc. Actually, I think that's a pretty good idea & will start doing it myself when travelling.

FollowupID: 817556

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 10:39

Monday, Jun 09, 2014 at 10:39
I have to agree you cannot add to the workload of the cleaners which adds cost to everyone for the inconsiderate few. I like your idea of carrying a mat though. Does that mean I owe you a beer?
I have a rooftop tent and coming down the ladder to muddy/sandy/stoney/prickley ground in bare feet is not nice. In most cases it is to much effort to peg down my CGear mat. A mat that doubles as a shower mat is a great idea. Now to find a suitable mat.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 817568

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 19:17

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 19:17
...oh, and remembering Birdsville Caravan Park...they had a board out the front with the weather forecast for the next few days!
Considering we'd all come through the outback and many of us would have had no communication with the big wide world (was it still out there?!), knowing what the weather was going to be was greatly appreciated!
We'd just had our tent shredded in a storm near Innamincka and it was held together with many ropes, our one spare tarp and a lot of hope...knowing that we were expecting mid 20's and gentle breezes was the info we needed to tell us whether we had to head for somewhere that sold tents (ummm...Broken Hill?) or whether we could keep limping on.
A superb touch when you consider how much of a role the weather plays in our holiday!
:)
AnswerID: 534028

Reply By: Mick T3 - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 19:19

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 19:19
What I seek in a caravan park is shade, respect, good water, no thieves, friendly camp kitchen, washing machines that don't steal your money, local information, mail collection, interesting campers.

I also like caravan parks that adjust their prices accordingly. For example, a park in Derby, in the Kimberley, charges me a low rate because I am alone in a tent and don't use electricity. Others charge the same rate for my tent as they do for a couple in a caravan with air conditioning.

What I offer the park owners are: payment on time; respect towards other campers and employees; obeying the park rules; no cheating with electricity usage. My intention as a customer is that I pay fairly for what I receive and left the owners in a better financial position than when I arrived.
AnswerID: 534029

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 19:26

Sunday, Jun 08, 2014 at 19:26
What I would like is a breakdown of fees IE being able to pay for what you intend to use.

CP fees calculation. Pay 6 stay 7 nights

tent no s.c non s/c Self/con s/c
$ p/n 2p 2p/2child 2/p 2/p
Site 5 p/v 5 5 5 5
power 5 p/v 5 5
Water 1 p/p 2 4 2 2
grey water 1 p/p 2 4 2 2
DP 5 p/cass 20L 5
DP 10 B/tank 40L 10
toilets 1 p/p 2 4
showers 1 p/p 2 4
Kitchen 2 p/v 4
BBQ 2 p/v 2 2
J/pillow 2 p/v
P/ground 2 p/v 2
s/pool 2 p/v 2
Tech/room 2 p/v 2
P/day 24 34 14 19
P/week 144 204 64 74
p/4week 578 816 256 266

W/m 4 p/wash
Dryer 4 p/dry
I'm sorry I can't get this to transfer correct.

PeterH
AnswerID: 534032

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 17:00

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 17:00
I`m a little tongue in cheek here , but I`m sure that other campers will share my views.
Camper Vans , the ones with sliding doors. They should have a separate area to them selves. This way, they can keep each other awake at night with the rumble/clunk that their doors make , which is usually at one minute intervals, minimum, usually more.
Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 534348

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:07

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 19:07
Whizz Bangs are what I think your referring to... lol.

Not always possible but we try to keep them away from caravanners.

We had one camp next to us at Katherine Gorge, a couple with three kids, they must have opened, then slammed shut the poor door twenty times in five minutes, I had to be restrained from doing a blood vessel.

FollowupID: 817969

Sponsored Links