Bigger Valves for 2F Tojo?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 18:37
ThreadID: 10818 Views:2090 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy gang.

Thinking of getting some xtra bite from the old Tojo 60 series & just wondering whether any1 out there has thrown larger valves in? Is this an easily done thing? If so, with how much affect? affect fuel consumption much? Price? any recomended mechanics/ garages around gippsland or melbs 2 do it?

cheers in advance

Rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:30

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:30
Rowen those types of mods are usually done in conjunction with the cam reprofiled and inlet and outlet ports honed out. Never heard of anyone else doing it on its own and I wouldnt recommend any performance mods to an ageing motor.

Some US companies,and possibly australian as well,sell fully rebuilt engines that claim an increase of 40hp over the standard 2F. Save your money for the next 4x4
AnswerID: 48257

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:42

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 08:42
Ross
A place called Fastfit used to do a kit for the 2f which was basically a set of extracters, head porting with stainless exhaust valves, 60 thou off the head to increase compression and electronic ignition.
Alot of money for a few kw, put it towards a ford or holden transplant. What about a nice 265 hemi or 250 ford motor?
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 48327

Reply By: Justin - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:41

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:41
I'd have to agree, You're really starting to push bleep e up hill when you try and get performance out of such an old motor. Conversion is probably the best way out. Probably best to convert to something a bit more modern though. I have heard conversions to the 3.9 fuel injected ford motor is a good cheap alternative. You stand to gain considerable power, and fuel economy. There is no substitute for technology!
Cheers,
Justin
AnswerID: 48357

Reply By: ross - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:10

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:10
I think the main problem with the F motors is that they only have a 3 or 4 bearing crankshaft and that limits them to about 3000 rpm if you want it to last.
Most performance mods on petrol motors dont work well unless the engine is going to rev much higher than 3000.After all did you ever see a racing car go down the straight at 2500 rpm?
This is an old motor that first appeared in 50s chevrolets and was bought by Toyota and had its life extended with boring and stroking and bigger carburettion.

I think its already a high performance motor.
AnswerID: 48405

Sponsored Links