Fraser Island Camping Closures

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:58
ThreadID: 10819 Views:1898 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A friend in Brisbane has just emailed me an article regarding amendments to camping at Fraser Island, which was published in the Courier Mail 25 Feb.

In part it reads as follows:

"A backpacker rite of passage will come to an end next month when beach camping is outlawed at Indian Head, Fraser Island.

New Environment Minister John Mickle has stopped camping after years of complaints about rubbish, human waste, drunkeness, and 4WD hoons endangering lives.

The decision followed the closure of Lake Mackenzie to car-based camping in November after concerns it was being loved to death.

Pictures released by the Fraser Island Defenders Organisation yesterday showed it had changed dramatically since 1972 when tourism first took off.

The headland has become severely eroded from pedestrians trekking to the top and the impact of up to 400 campers per night, mostly backpackers.

Some Hervey Bay tour operatos lured backpackers with the promise of a place where there were "no laws"."

The article goes on to talk about rangers having to go pick up used toilet paper, beer cans and rubbish each morning. The article went on to say ...

"However, Friends of Fraser president Lin Powell condemned the move, claiming it was part of a push to phase out beach caming.

Mr Powell said the problem with waste and toilet paper would continue unless toilets were built near the headland."

"Mr Mickel's spokeswoman said a new stretch of designated beach camping at Dundubara and planned expansions at the privately owned Cathedral Beach campground would absorb beach campers.".

These are the key points othe article .. but not a complete transcript.

I guess the old adage of "abuse it and lose it" seems to apply here. Pity.

Jack

No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimmy - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 21:13

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 21:13
Bugger!!! A few abuse and all lose
bleep es me off !

AnswerID: 48264

Reply By: brian - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 21:42

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 21:42
So we take their money provide transport, charge heaps give no training provide overloaded vehicles no toilets no showers and no rules,they give toilet waste ,vehicles stuck, parties,alcohol abuse,bugger all waste removal,no medical services.AND NOW ANGLO SAXONS ARE DENIEGED ANOTHER SITE WHO IS AT FAULT?????
AnswerID: 48269

Follow Up By: Nomad - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:45

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:45
Don't think you would want to camp there Brian. Maybe many moons ago but not today.

Who's at fault?? Well the backpackers definitely but very much the tour operators and vehicle hirers who, in the main, are only interested in the money.

But then you can't leave out the authorities who are supposed to use our money to look after the place. Not even a dunny??? What the hell are people supposed to do.

Typical, the authorities renege on their responsibilities and then take things off us when it stuffs up. Nothin' new on earth.
FollowupID: 310170

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:59

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:59
Notice closure coinsides with expansion of commercial camp ground or am I cynical.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 48398

Follow Up By: Lynn2 - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 20:06

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 20:06
Not cyncial, just realist. However, maybe we shouldn't alllow 4WD hire, only genuine 4wds allowed on Fraser. At least if you are Aussie and 4wDer you may have some degree of responsibility? Or am I wrong?
FollowupID: 310273

Reply By: tessa_51 - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:16

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:16
I hate to be seen to be getting on my hobbyhorse again, but how many backpackers would be on Fraser if there was a need to pass a separate driving test before anyone was allowed to drive a 4by? How many of us have seen these young girls on the island driving troopies full to the brim with human cargo and grossly overloaded on the roof to the point where their centre of gravity is dangerously high? AND, the problem is, they think they can drive them - never had any training and most of them come from countries where the only sand they see is in the movies.

Tessa
AnswerID: 48527

Sponsored Links