UHF Antennas

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 16:52
ThreadID: 108215 Views:2308 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just looking for any opinions-- my old GME antenna is a 6dba 2000mm fibreglass on an old style spring base, mounted on the bullbar. The antenna is over 10 yrs old and I have had no problems at all with it,
Has worked perfectly in all situations from the Vic High Country, Simpson Desert to the Gulf country and all the tracks and trails in between
Problem is that the fibreglass beneath the white outer layer is starting to crack and so I need to replace it. My first choice for a replacement was an AE 4706, but I I have noticed that this antenna is far more rigid than the old one and also the spring base is stiffer.
Not to sure weather to go ahead with this or look for an alternative.
Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.
Heading to the Kimberley next trip.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 20:43
Dune climber.
The size of the antenna is less important than the mounting position, a small antenna in the middle of your roof will out perform a large one on the bull bar, the reason is the one on the bull bar is swamped by electrical noise from your motor, the one on the roof is partly shielded from that interference. Eric
AnswerID: 534210

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 21:37

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2014 at 21:37
D C,

Have been using similar sized antennas for a fair while, and except for clearance issues, have found them to perform well. Been using an Antenna Agencies 6dB Kevlar unit for about 10 years....being Kevlar, it's probably bullet proof as well :-)

Have used the 4706 too, but found it "de-tuned" after about 12 months. Tried the next size down, a 4705, and it did the same thing after 12-18 months, so kept the bases and turfed the antennas. Don't feel that the stiffer springs are an issue, keeps the whip vertical, even at fairly high speeds.

Access Electronics who are based in Rockhampton, Longreach & Cloncurry, sell a very good 2M whip, that suits those old spring bases. Designed by the owner.(NO affiliation etc)

If you don't have any clearance issues, why not get the same or similar type again?

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534214

Sponsored Links