Jackaroo rough idle

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 22:50
ThreadID: 10824 Views:1593 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
The problem is: 98 3.0TD JAck that when I pull up at lights or in the driveway the lights seem to flicker and the voltage needle wobbles about a bit, not heaps couple of V tops.

It had been doing it for a little while month or 2 and then I had the recall done for the injector seals and sleeves, 6weeks ago. And it seemed to go away, now its back. The smoke cloud on start up seems to be back too, maybe its just to cooler weather.

I rang the Holden service dept and they are going to look at it next week.

BTW, I am running Delvac 1 5W-40 oil, due for a change, there was some other crap in it last change.

Any hints as to what I am up for?

Glenos - Hobart TAS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:16

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 23:16
THis might sound funny but I had a problem when I stopped the taco would drop to 100rpm although the motor was still at normal idle,the lights on the dash would dim, all sorts of funny things going on. Tracked the problen down to a small earth lead from the battery to the body was not reconected after some work was done This might be causing your problem.

Wayne.Always Out'N About
AnswerID: 48298

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:52

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:52
got some water in your tank ?? common for water contamination in the fuel to cause these sorts of thingsJust killin time till easter...............go and play in the dirt, instead of workin in it......
AnswerID: 48350

Follow Up By: Glenos - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 17:49

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 17:49
Bradley,
Maybe, but how to get it out. I know with a petrol car you can mix in a miscible flamable liquid (metho). Does that work in a diesel?

Glenos
FollowupID: 310256

Follow Up By: Glenos - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 14:05

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 14:05
I have done some more investigation, this morning in woolies car park waiting for the wife. Idle rpm is smooth just under 1000rpm, and volt meter is stable about 14V. When I turn the lights on idle is still smooth but the volt meter oscillates between 12.5-14V.

Lights off it settles down again, I didn't try what the A/C does, I assume the same.

SO, I will be cancelling my appointment with Holden as I do not believe it is related to the injector recall, and don't want to pay them $200 for a look at it. My guess is a dodgy regualtor n the altenator. $400+ from Holden for the regulator. If I get too concerned I will look at getting an aftermarket Alt that meets the specs.

Glenos
FollowupID: 310348

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:25

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:25
hmm volts should be stable under load, especially if the idle speed is stable, try a good auto elec for an aftermarket reg, or jackaroo world in melb.

Still worth doing a tank drain of about 1/2 a litre to check for water, drain into a glass jar and you will be able to see any water sitting in the bottom easily.

You can also clean and check all the harness connectors from the alt and the bat terminals, costs nothing and good to do anyhow..Just killin time till easter...............go and play in the dirt, instead of workin in it......
FollowupID: 310519

Reply By: Glenos - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:17

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:17
The plot thickens!

I took the jack into an auto electrician and they looked at it and said:
" It is an odd bod altenator and will be tricky to gt parts for, probably only from Holden"

"Gee, look at how much the engine is rocking and rolling at idle, is there a borken mount, or something else wrong?"

So, out we go to Holden service, who didi the injector seal s months ago. They said:
" Oh, yes there is a lot of movement, we will have to get it booked in to do some diagnostics." I haven't made a booking yet.

The movement is east-west when the engine is idling, idle is at about 900rpm, movement is maybe 20mm at the intercooler. there also seems to be a sucking sound on the passengers side, when I've got my head under the bonnet.

Also, there is a diaphragm of somesort between the fuel filter and the intercooler, hangs off the side of the ???, this was disconnected, when reconnected it moves in and out about every second, what is it and what does it do? I can probably post a photo.

Help please

Glenos
AnswerID: 49026

Sponsored Links