Great Barrier Reef. most southern tip worth visiting

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 20:32
ThreadID: 108251 Views:1737 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello travelers. Planning on a trip to the Great Barrier Reef and looking for advice and destinations to the most southern part worth a visit.
Time is my biggest concern, as we are from vic.
Also the best time of the year to enjoy all the local sites

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 22:56

Saturday, Jun 14, 2014 at 22:56
Are you wanting to do day trips to the islands or stay in accommodation on the Islands.

There are a few you can stay in resorts. Lady Elliott, Heron and Great Keppel.

Day trips can be done to most of them. Great Keppel can be reached from the Yeppoon/Emu park area. Elliott and Lady Musgrave can be reached on day cruises from Seventeen Seventy.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534380

Reply By: snow - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:55

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:55
Bagara (sp) and 1770 areas are worth the look in my opinion but if time and distance is a factor I wouldn't bother with Yeppoon or Great Keppel.
AnswerID: 534400

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 13:49

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 13:49
Justouring,

Went to Great Keppel about 8-10 years ago. Good trip, had dolphins around the boat on way over to the island, a good spot, but the resort seemed a bit "tired" when we were there. Think there's new owners there now?

After being at Lord Howe Island a couple of times, where the coral is so bright and vibrant that you nearly need sunglasses to view it, GK was a disappointment. Much of the coral , close to shore, was bleached and looked like it was dead. Don't know if it has recovered since.

Know a few blokes that go out to the Reef from Bundaberg & Gladstone just for the fishing. Don't know of any charters from that area, maybe check Yellow Pages?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534405

Sponsored Links