Did you know...?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 16:25
ThreadID: 108262 Views:2784 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Just returned from a jaunt that took in a few thousand kms of unmade road driving - the GRR, and the Central Deserts through Punmu and Kintore etc. from Port Headland to the Alice.

The Pajero motor and gearbox are second to none IMO. However...the radio is just about useless in anything but a town (we only listen to the ABC) and changing a spare wheel requires the extraction of two long bolts and three wheel nuts then lifting the wheel to the ground - and the same in reverse - mutatis mutandis.

We also moaned about how bad the door seals were - the dust inside the vehicle was terrible! But...I had a look on the Pajero Owners Club of Victoria and searched for A/C filter (cabin filter) and found instructions as to how to get at and change this filter in my car. Voila!!!...$30.00 for a new filter and the difference! You should have seen the old one...completely blocked.

So...did all you Pajero people know about this filter? If your 'air' is useless - this could be reason.

cheers
George
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 16:44

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 16:44
George,

Check out thread 108161. There's some discussion on Mobile One aerials which give a big improvement to AM/FM performance.

Our experiences travelling to Darwin at different times, is that there isn't much to be heard on AM/FM, except as you said, in towns. Time for the iPod, CD's or maybe some light conversation.

Long time since I've been to Kununurra, and radio wasn't even invented back then :-)
We used to listen to 8DN from Darwin, using a telescopic HF antenna, and a SONY X-1000 AM/SW radio.

Been in a late mocel Paj few years back, on station roads @ 90-110 clicks, and was impressed how well it rode, and the performance was more than adequate.

Sounds like you had a good trip?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534418

Follow Up By: Slow one - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 17:07

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 17:07
Agree with Bob on 2 things. First one os the iPod and second one is the Paj is a good performer on and off-road.

Good aerials are very important, it is a pity I just broke my fibreglass uhf aerial between Mt Surprise and Einasleigh today on some stutter bumps. Never mind I will get one in the Curry or Isa.
FollowupID: 818038

Follow Up By: 213 - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 20:00

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 20:00
Yes bob thanks - only one puncture. (just as we entered Mt Barnett Roadhouse).

We do take CD's - unhappily wife doesn't appreciate listening to The Eagles or Samuel Barber's 'Adagio' at full noise...)-:

Highlights were the smashing Aboriginal kids at Timber Creek campground asking us to wait to see their footy match the next day...unfortunately we couldn't...and the total solitude of camping off the road just before making Kunawarritji.

Thought Broome was great too.

George
FollowupID: 818056

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 16:41

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 16:41
One thing that causes poor radio reception is if the aerial is in the glass, after market window tinting will affect it's capability.
My Prado is hopeless for that reason.

FollowupID: 818122

Reply By: John and Regina M - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 19:00

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 19:00
Yep. They've been around in most models for about 20 years. Same as the dust proofing kit available.
AnswerID: 534429

Reply By: patsproule - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 19:44

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 19:44
Re the dust - unless you are following someone else kicking up dust, dont run with the AC on recirc. If you run it on fresh air it will pressurise the cabin slightly and keep the dust out. In recirc it creates a bit of a vacuum in the cabin and tends to suck dust past the door seals. Also note that the Paj has a pair of rubber flaps in either rear corner up uner the bumper that vent the cabin to fresh air. Occasionally these flaps dont seal properly or get caught. Worth checking.

CHeers - Pat
AnswerID: 534432

Follow Up By: 213 - Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 20:05

Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 20:05
Thanks Pat - I'll check those flaps
FollowupID: 818058

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:41

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:41
For stationary use with a portable radio I can highly recommend a loop antenna: http://www.amradioantennas.com/

Has provided a signal way outside the published ABC local and RN coverage areas. Not hifi mind but good enough for weather, news, fire warnings etc.
AnswerID: 534467

Sponsored Links