2003 3.4 v6 hilux.

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2014 at 23:39
ThreadID: 108271 Views:1903 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone I have a 2003 3.4 v6 hilux. I am thinking about putting a chip and exhaust system into it. Does anyone know how much this will cost me? And also how much will it improve my fuel economy and power? Thabks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 05:31

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 05:31
Spaanderman65
My comments relate to my experience with a landcruiser v8 diesel, so a different animal I know
In all I fitted 3 inch exhaust,(taipan from memory) K&N airfilter, Safari snorkel, and a DP chip
Landcruisers suffer from a lack of air, the factory snorkel is too restrictive, it could only rev to 3500 rpm, and you could hear the loud sucking from the intake.
For my 2 bobs worth, don't do the exhaust without considering snorkel and K&N, no good freeing up one part of a restricted path, do the lot. As soon as I freed up the airways, it reved fully, less intake noise, nice note, a lot more power, torque - lots of benefits
The chip? I fitted a DP chip, and yes, it went hard. Faster to rev no doubt. Around town, slow work, awesome. But when I drove it over from Karratha to Cairns, the fuel consumption was appalling, I disconnected it. (permanently) - Now to be fair, it was adjusted high and I could have adjusted it back. But my eyes are a bit poor, and the adjustment pot is tiny, I couldn't see if I was increasing or decreasing - so out it came. And I never put it back in circuit to this date. Its still mounted in place, but I leave it unplugged. The airway mods are enough.
Note this ramble relates to a different car and may not be totally relevant to yours. But remember, airways start at the snorkel and end at the tailpipe. Any restriction anywhere will negate other improvements
Costs? I truly cant remember, but as a guess, exhaust $1500, K&N airfilter $300, Snorkle, $300 and chip $1100
I still have the cruiser (sits in my shed since I bought the Iveco) and still love it, going great. I take it for a blat when I need a v8 fix. Good luck with your project

regards
Jim
AnswerID: 534459

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 05:32

Monday, Jun 16, 2014 at 05:32
I had one of those beasties. As I recall they took the prado intake plenum off and invented a much shorter squatter one to make the engine fit under the hilux bonnet. A body lift of the car and a prado plenum from the wreckers gives them back the prado ponies and better fuel economy as I recall. Not quite the easy answer you wanted, but chipping a short torquey plenum isn't going to yield too much. Trd also do a bolt on supercharger and 7th injector kit for the 3.4. A great hp boost and good on fuel unless you go racing with it.
AnswerID: 534460

Sponsored Links