A Man, a Whip, and a Wagonette (Help Needed)

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 08:12
ThreadID: 108287 Views:2196 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
A little while back I penned a blog titled “We can let our old bushmen die” which covered the opening of the old Hancock’s Store in Murringo.

The store is a tribute to Syd Bayliss, a true man of the Australian Bush, and was lovingly restored to its former glory by two people of great vision, Richard and Leah Taubman.

I'll leave you to read the blog which you can find by clicking here.

The purpose of the post is to highlight a recent article titled "Cedric Alfred (Syd) Bayliss" in the January edition of Australian Family Tree Connections, a monthly publication, written by Tricia Mack, the local Murringo historian.

In his early days Syd Bayliss travelled extensively throughout Queensland and the Northern Territory selling his leather goods from a Wagonette, in fact I understand he had two over the years.

Richard and Leah have been searching for Syd’s old wagonette as they would dearly love to own and restore it as a further tribute to Syd.

They are hoping that someone may have heard of it, or know what might have become of the wagonette – of course the best outcome is that someone has it tucked away in an old shearing shed, gathering dust somewhere.

If you have any information that you feel might be useful, please post it here and I will be sure to pass it on to this wonderful couple or make contact with them at a facebook page Taubman & Webb Trading Post.

Richard and Leah are travelling at this time in the very areas that Syd trod a path, selling their wares from a modern day version of the old wagonette. A visit to the facebook page will provide more details on the trip if you would like to catch up with them...

And if you are ever travelling in the Central West of New South Wales, around the Young and Murringo region, be sure to drop into the Trading Post in the main street of Murringo and say hello to Richard and Leah. They are true visionaries with a love of the Australian Bush, and in my mind, they are the sort of people that truly make our country a great place to live in...

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 08:46

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 08:46
Oh, for an edit button…!

The First line should read “ We can’t let our old busmen die”…

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 534518

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 08:47

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 08:47
I give up....

“ We can’t let our old bushmen die”…

Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 818163

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:05
Baz I will have to come back and read your post in an hour or so as I can't see from tears of laughter
FollowupID: 818177

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 08:33

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 08:33
Ditto Alby, but thanks for putting all this together Baz.
FollowupID: 818245

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2014 at 22:03
Hi Baz

Your blog and photos were a wonderful culmination of the store opening on the other side of the country that I could never get to. Having had the interest and involvement in publicising the store opening, you brought it to life for me. After you first sought a lead on finding the wagonette, I posted the request on six other forums, but no leads came from it. The internet will usually find anything quickly if it is there to be found. I fear the wagon has gone forever :(

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534559

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 06:52

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 06:52
Hi Motherhen

I suspect it is quite a long shot that firstly it is still around, and it is always possible someone may have it, but not be aware of its history.

It would be so great for Richard and Leah to locate and restore, and thanks for your very kind assistance!

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 818240

Sponsored Links