Radio/GPS Headunit with offroad maps?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 15:28
ThreadID: 108303 Views:7714 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi community,

I am thinking about replacing the headunit in my Nissan Patrol with a new double-DIN headunit. I was wondering if there are any systems around that feature a possibility to run offroad maps like MudMaps, HEMA or something like that? Since a new headunit costs easily 600 AUD and more, I might as well get a system that features offroad navigation as well.

Another question that came up was, since my Patrol never had a inbuild GPS system, would I need to set a GPS antenna somewhere or do those headunits come with a strong enough build in antenna?

Cheers

Philipp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 16:21

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 16:21
You can get units that run windows ce and therefore OziExplorer. Polaris runs Hema. Check out their web site at Polaris GPS
AnswerID: 534579

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:33

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:33
Phillip,
If you are keen to import your own there are heaps of choices - I have an EONON 8" unit that runs CE and thus now runs iGo Primo for streets and Ozi CE + EOTopo and EOZi CE which works a treat. I have also written a custom program that you can install in any CE based machine as a replacement to the NAV button program that will allow you to select Street or 4WD mode. Generally you can only configure one program to run when you press the NAV button on these types of units so my program front ends this and gives you a 4WD mode and Street Mode button to select which program you want to use.

You can also get a unit fully finished that uses POLNav for Streets & Ozi CE with EOTopo maps and a specific interface written for it - unit is called Opal available from Aus-Audio (developed by us).

Good luck do not be put off it is easy. You could also go an Android unit and use Ozi Android etc.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534585

Follow Up By: PGU - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:44

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:44
How much is the Opal Nissan Patrol unit selling for - do you know? Can't seem to find prices online.
FollowupID: 818285

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:46
Ah no idea how much they are, Just drop them an message.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818286

Follow Up By: PGU - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 18:00

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 18:00
Did you choose iGo Primo because you weren't satisfied with the Eonon navigation software?

Is your 8" unit the Eonon GE01B? Are you generally satisfied with it. It looks like a good unit for its price.
FollowupID: 818359

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 18:24

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 18:24
Yeah did not like the supplied software and would have been better off not ordering it. I had the iGo on another device before and it was easy to get the right screen layout file so went with that and 2014 Australia maps.

I is the GE01 (not sure if B or not I think the B is DAB) I did not get the DAB model but wish I had so would recommend you get this. I did add a universal reversing camera from the same EBay store (a Chinese distributor in QLD I think from memory).

I am generally happy - I had to adjust the hole in the dash a little to fit it in as with the tilting operation it needed a little more clearance than the standard 2 DIN fitting (this is mainly a LC issue I think as the stereo mount is recessed). I found it best viewed one tilt position out from flat and this works great but I did find I needed to put a wee wedge of card to stop a minor vibration in the tilt mechanism. This all sounds worse than it is and the unit is really good and works well I would recommend it but get the DAB one as the standard FM radio reception is crap compared to the OEM and a Pioneer I had in place before.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818362

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:37

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 18:37
Oh an for your second question. They come with a GPS antenna that you can simply install - mine is on the top of the dash in-front of the heater outlets.You will also be able to add reversing camera to the setup and have this all built in.
David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 534587

Reply By: madmav - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 20:07
Another vote here for Eonon. Check their website.
I'm running the unit that fits as per OEM in 100 series cruiser.
My Gps antenna just sits on top on the unit in the dash.

Another option you have with the newer Eonon units is screen mirroring from your smart phone and ipad or tablet. Thereby if you already have apps for navigation/4wd you can view them on the in dash unit.

And David , can you shed more light or info on the front end program you have to select between Road and Ozi when pressing the Nav button please.

Having gone to this style unit has de cluttered my dash, I now have mapping, blue tooth streaming for music, hands free for phone, dvd, reverse camera, ipod connection, sd card input. Cost delivered with 2 yr warranty and maps was about $280.
AnswerID: 534589

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2014 at 21:16
Son-in-law has one fitted in his Hilux dual cab. Was impressed with the size of the screen, and the clarity of the maps on it. Admittedly it was a cloudy day in Cairns, been like that for a month or more, so can't vouch for it on a bright, sunny day.

Can't comment on the other attributes of the unit, but for the price........!!!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818305

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 18:35

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 18:35
Yeah can do the little program is something I wrote for Windows CE (Mobile 6). On these units there is usually a NAV button and/or a navigation option on the touch screen. This is linked to a nav program via a setting in the device setup screens. As these units are targeted to running just one type of GPS program (street nav program) the setup allows you to run a single .exe file normally igo, Polnav or a great number of other programs but only one. So what you do is setup my program to be the one the device runs when you enter navigation mode - then the settings in my program allow you to pick Street Mode (using what every program you have/want) or 4WD Mode using OziExplorer or for that matter any other exe program you want.

It looks like then when you run the program (press nav on your device): ignore the Opal logo I only had a capture of this variation at the moment. So you then press which mode you want and it runs.

For me this is iGo Primo and OziExplorer! the setup of which programs to run a done in a simply .txt file.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818363

Follow Up By: madmav - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:07

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:07
So David how does one get this little program of yours?
FollowupID: 818365

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:49

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:49
Maybe a small donation! $10k would cover it! Maybe a member would get it for free! I have thought about making this a product but that would involve me spending time to give it a finished polished look and I reckon I would not sell enough to cover the hours it would take to finish it to that level.

I would love to see you as a member! I will email it to you in any case and you can decide what it is worth to you.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818371

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:55

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 19:55
Email sent to your register address!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818372

Reply By: Freshstart - Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 21:00

Thursday, Jun 19, 2014 at 21:00
We have a VMS that fully integrates with the cars entertainment. It is a 2 din box with Windows CE and both street and off road navigation (Oziexplorer CE version).

At least have a look at them. Plenty of satisfied users in our club and the two sons have them as well.
AnswerID: 534648

Sponsored Links