batterry caherger or generator ?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:30
ThreadID: 10832 Views:2947 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am trying to figure out the best way to charge re-charge batteries in my off road van. Solar looks too expensive & bulky so I was looking at either a petrol powered alternator made by Christie Engineering or a Honda 240v EU10i Generator. I am dubious about the battery charging ability of the generator and think the alternator may be the way to go. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with either of these ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:49

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:49
I reckon you're on the right track with the Christie jobbie. Depends on your own needs......if you have a good dual battery set-up anyway, and all your gear is 12volt based, I'd be inclined to go that way.
If you have a number of 240v appliances which SWMBO MUST take camping (eg: Microwave, hairdryer etc), then maybe you need a gennie.....
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 48331

Reply By: bruce - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:52

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 09:52
Dont know anything about the Christie , but we use the Honda and an 8amp charger, run the Honda at half speed either while we are out fishing or watching tv in the evening..keeps a 100ah d/c battery in the van charged up...very quiet and economical...cheers
AnswerID: 48332

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:57

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 16:57
I know 'very quite' is subjective but can you give me some comparative noise levels using common sounds that we would all be able to relate to. I have looked at a generator now for a while but havent had the chance to go to a retailer and get them to 'fire one up'
FollowupID: 310247

Follow Up By: bruce - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 13:23

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 13:23
If you go to honda.com. there you will find the specs for thier genys ..the eu1000 is rated at 59db which is not much louder , if any than normal speech , so if you place said geny some distance , lets say about 30 metres from your camp site and any neighbors camp site that you may have , then you will have to be very intolerant of noise to be offended by it...I like peace and quiet as much as any body and run our geny at half speed most of the time and so it is quieter still...
FollowupID: 310456

Reply By: Arkay - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:47

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:47
Am looking at Generator myself but was wondering, what is the go with the left-over fuel in the gennie tank when moving camp. Does the tank seal air tight? Does it stink out the interior of the car?
AnswerID: 48347

Follow Up By: bruce - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:27

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:27
Cap normally seals o.k. we carry ours in the boot of the van , but have had it in the wagon without getting stunk out..but a plastic bag over it or it in it and a tie on the bag should prevent any fumes ..
FollowupID: 310205

Reply By: brianm - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:47

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:47
do your figures on solar again. look at what poweryou need. plus you do not need
to carry fuel for your generator. why have noise when camping in the bush
I would go for solar everytime
cheers
AnswerID: 48358

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:26

Friday, Feb 27, 2004 at 14:26
If you have a deep cycle battery and it goes flat the Christie may not recharge it properly - depends on what make it is. Some deep cycle batteries lend themselves to quick charging eg Odyssey. Most don't and can only be fully charged slowly over an extended period of time. This info is from Christie's themselves. I was considering one of their units and rang them to see whether it would work with my battery. If the battery is a heavy duty starting battery then the Christie job will be fine and fully charges the battery in one hour. However be warned that they are not exactly quiet (especially the smaller unit)and the neighbours will not be impressed. I undertand you can buy a silencer to dampen the noise a bit.
You say solar is expensive - the Christie unit is just under $1K for the small unit. Either way it's expensive.
AnswerID: 48393

Sponsored Links