Fishing Queenslands dams and waterways currently

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 06:12
ThreadID: 108438 Views:2639 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are near Proserpine in Qld and looking for coast, dams and waterways south of here, where fish are likely to be caught, (despite the water beginning to cool down) where we can also stay beside the water and leave our boat on the edge. Or otherwise fish from the shore or river bank

Staying at O Connell River until tomorrow (Monday) where we have caught some good sized flathead, around 60 cm, and planning to work our way south either close to the coast, or inland visiting places where we are able to launch our tinny and fish in rivers and dams. We are not interested in trapping redclaw!

We have already stayed at Eungella Dam for a couple of weeks and caught big sooty grunters, so keen to visit some other places. Have also visited Boondarra and Wuruma on this trip, and have already stayed at St Helens Beach (and caught whiting and one unfortunate mud crab).

We are self sufficient, towing a 20 ft Outback Jayco Starcraft so don't need any flash amenities, and are happy to pay a fee to stay. Also prefer places which are quiet...difficult to find I know!
Possible places I have marked to visit are Stanage Bay, Boyndale Bush camp, Theresa Dam, Paradise Dam?
Any helpful advice is welcomed as to current fishing, and happy to receive MMs if you don't want to turn a quiet place into grey nomad city by making public comments!

regards,
Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 09:08

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 09:08
G'day Heather,

You don't mention Peter Faust Dam! I am no expert but have fished this dam and found it well worth a try if you are looking to fish for Barra. We stayed at the Lions camp which made the dam in easy reach but I presume you have a tinnie.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 534776

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 09:22

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 09:22
Thanks Beatit,

Yes we had a look online but it doesn't appear that there is actually a campground right beside the water where we can stay and keep an eye on the tinnie if we leave it in the water. Or maye it's safe to do it anyway.
Is the Lions camp such a place or is there a drive from there to put the tinnie in the water? Maybe you can enlighten me. It is quite a big job to unload and load it in one day then unpack and pack away all the gear, although we do sometimes do it.

regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818525

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 19:42

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 19:42
Sorry for the slow reply, it is a few K from the camp to the dam and I wouldn't leave my tinnie there unattended. So it would be a full effort job of unloading and reloading. The other bad news is that some of the best fishing is around the rising moon at night and this is what left me fishless previously. I was coming home when others were just launching, they did share fish with me in the morning though.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 818570

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:43

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:43
Hell between Prosopine and the nsw border its not like you are skint for choice.

But as for camping right on the water a lot less choice.

A lot of places used to have on water camp sites, but due to environmental correctness and the water authorities not being interested in administering camp sites, they have dried up.

The two big southern barra dams...Monduran and Awonga both have direct water access, but the camp sites are a hell of a lot more than boat dragging distance from the water.......if you don't mind spending...bother Rodger Harrison and Johnny Mitchell guide on both dams..and the boyne.

One that comes to mind is Kentchant, west of Mackay....they have on water camp sites and by "on water"...check ya handbrake and ya wheel chocks.

There are some places where there is camping close to the water....walking distance and pedestrian fishing.

There is a caravan park on the southern side of the boyne, right on the highway...scramble down the bank and fish the river on foot.

There is a pretty decent caravan park at Tannum sands, right at the end of the beach....walking distance from the very tidal Wild cattle creek.....did not fish it when we visited but it looked very fishy.....flat head for sure by my estimation....and miles of beach........extra strength insect repellant required.

There is a caravan park at 1770 right on the water and they put many big boats in at the boat ramp walking distance.....not sure about the estury fisning, but plenty go to the reef from there and there is some rock fishing off the nearby headland...if you are a mountain goat.

of course if you are equiped or inclined to do some sand driving...there is on beach camping on the northern sunshine coast beaches and at least one bitumen road accessable caraven park with walk to the beach fishing.

Some of the inland dams may be worth a look....Sommerset has an on water camp/CVP there is aussie bass and variuos car fish.

Moogera you can still camp close to the water if she is full.....or hike to it if it is not.

Cannia used to have camping right next to the baot ramp, but appart from the 2 or 3 cabins on the hill, you have to camp at one of the CVPs a few km down the road.....mobile phone and terestrial TV recemption is non existant.

BliBli, (sunshine coast) might be worth a look..there are a couple of on river camp/CVP/cabin vilages on the river there.....but a bit touristy.

Your options would be greatly increased if you had a folding trailer for your boat....some of the places the water is close but not dragging distance from the water.

cheers
AnswerID: 534780

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 15:13

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 15:13
Thanks Bantam,

A lot of information there, some of it I had already found online but wondering whether the fish are still on the bite in any places, or whether they were a case of 'you should have been here last week'!

Won't be going anywhere packed into caravan park sites as it's not our style, which is why we like Dam campgrounds and council run campgrounds so much.

And yes a folding trailer would be handy but we don't have anywhere to carry one and it would make the van overweight! So long as there is a small space close to flat, we can unload and load the boat beside the water, so don't need a boat ramp.

thanks so much for taking the time to reply,

cheers Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818551

Reply By: johnwf - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:41

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:41
Boondooma is worth a visit. I leave Canberra for several months each winter and always stay at Boondooma for several weeks. Always caught bass and/or yellowbelly either trolling or bait (local caught shrimp). Can park on the bank, leave boat in the water. Has decent facilities and kiosk, all tap water is potable, reasonable site costs.
regards,
john
AnswerID: 535213

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 17:51
Thanks John, we will have a look at it. Sounds like our kind of place.
Sorry its taken so long to reply, but we were not in internet/phone range for the past few days.
regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819139

Sponsored Links