EOTopo - CSR information like wells often not reflected. Quick fix?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:21
ThreadID: 108447 Views:2325 Replies:2 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Much of the standard CSR information does not seem to be reflected on the 2014 EOTopo map eg Wells are often not marked. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Is there a quickfix?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gaynor - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:30

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:30
A quick example of missing well information - Wells 19 and 20 - but there are many more
AnswerID: 534799

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:56

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 17:56
On my copy well 19 is not shown but well 20 is. Are there several versions?
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 818558

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:13

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:13
On my version there is a black dot on Savory Creek. I might assume that is Well 20 but there is no writing to confirm. Do you have more than a black dot?

The info on the wells seems to be irregular. From what I can see, sometimes a blue ring, sometimes a black dot, sometimes the Aboriginal name, sometimes the Canning number and sometimes nothing at all.
FollowupID: 818560

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:23

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:23
Georgia Bore is another obvious example - nothing at all to denote that an important well point with life giving water, is there. A few kilometres away there is a black dot. What that is I do not know, but it is not where Georgia Bore is.
FollowupID: 818562

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 18:30
From memory, that black dot near GB might be a rocky river bed. The map would seem to confirm that with a blue river line running through the black dot. So maybe a natural water hole when there is rain.

I do feel that at the very least, important information that is well known needs to be recorded on the EOTopo with accuracy.
FollowupID: 818564

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:09

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:09
The CSR data on the base of EOTopo is the same as it was on the GeoScience NATMAP topo 250K which was the original source data, however we have added the purple line which is the accurate trek note route from ExplorOz and if you load the Places you will obtain the correct position data for each well and POI feature. In the current EOTopo200K releases we have not merged any of our trek or Place data to the base map but its optional for you to access, load and view that info.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 534977

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:12

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:12
Also meant to mention the Legend - this will clarify what is indicated by coloured dots and lines etc.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818801

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 17:51
So essentially what I have bought is the NATMAP with a purple line highlighting the most current CSR track at double the price - $49.95 as opposed to $99.95

Why would anyone buy the EOTopo if they knew that?

The EOTopo is touted as being the most uptodate mapping system available. Is it really? ExplorOz has an impressive Trek notes system with fantastic information. When the EOTopo was brought out, I thought that is what I was buying. In fact, that is what I was pointed to as an example of what I would be getting.

So you say the Place info from the Trek notes is an optional extra. How do I load this into OziExporer and EOTopo? When I went to Trek Notes it said it was restricted to Members only. Does that mean pay more money?

I realise you have a lot on your hands with the site migration at present. When you have a moment I would appreciate all the help I can get as I am writing a book and referencing heavily from various CSR mapping systems. It would really be great to have it all in one place, which is why I bought EOTopo and OzieExplorer where I load my tracklog. Just the well information is missing, which is essential.
FollowupID: 819140

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 18:45

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 18:45
Hello Gaynor

Think you have misread/misinterpreted the sales pitch which actually states ...

"EOTopo is the most recently released, fully revised and updated Australia-wide topographic map set on the market"

A bit of a play on words but the key terminology used is "Australia wide..map set". There are actually far more detailed raster map sets of parts of Australia (e.g. 25K south west WA)...but not of all of Australia as one map set. There are also more detailed vector topo maps of all of Australia (Garmin topo and Oztopo both have overall more detail - street level detail in fact)...but these are not available in raster format...so EoTopo can claim that honor.

Anyway ...from what I can gather EOtopo is better than the Natmap (would only require the addition of a single track to achieve this status) ..but it is a work in progress...additional detail hasn't been added everywhere (and as you have found, not on CSR), but in other areas there is more detail. One can safely assume that at some stage of the game the CSR will be updated. Also keep in mind you get "lifetime updates" so while the initial cost and product detail may seem at this stage inconsistent one would expect value for money over many years.

Also you can download the 250K Natmap for free from the GA website...no need to pay for it.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 819146

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 19:01

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 19:01
Don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read this ....

Anyway, thanks for the honest reply Greg.
FollowupID: 819147

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 19:16

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 19:16
Hi Gaynor,
The names database should have come with the product.

Put the two files into the name search file in your Oziexplorer directory.

The open Oziexplorer and click on the Name icon up the top.
Click load, and select the relevant names file.

The you can start selecting the names of places - plot them on the map etc...

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819148

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 21:37

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 21:37
Oi.. This is a mind bender. Thank you Alan for the clear instructions thus far.Yes found the place names file in the EOTopo directory and transferred to OziExplorer. Do I need to load each POI (Well) one by one and then how do I get them to stay readily available on the map instead of having to load each POI each time. I am assuming I need to plot a route and save that somehow and then load it each time together with my tracklog when I work with EOTopo?

Thank you once again.. Should have just asked you directly.

Brain frying...but better than not having the Name Places.

Thanks
FollowupID: 819153

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 06:11

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 06:11
Ok, worked out how to do all this, sort of. Thanks for the pointer Alan.

Michelle, I do feel that EOTopo needs this information to be merged with the existing map sooner than later. You have it all at your disposal already. The play on words in the selling spiel as pointed out by Greg does not do your product justice when sections like the CSR are obviously so chronically out of date.

Best wishes with the site migration. Seems to be going well from a users pov.

Gaynor

FollowupID: 819156

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 10:09

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 10:09
Hi Gaynor,

I've been following this thread because it is of interest to me as well.

You say you have it worked out, "sort of". I am using Ozi for Android, and this is what I did. Maybe it's of help ...

- Go to Treks and choose ExplorOz Treks from the drop-down list
- Under Browse By State choose Western Australia
- Scroll down to Canning Stock Route and click View Trek
- Click Download Trek, choose OziExplorer in the pop-up window and click Download. This will save a .zip file to your computer.
- Locate the .zip file. It contains two files, a .plt file and a .wpt file. Unzip both of those to Ozi's Data folder, or unzip them anywhere and copy them across.
- In Ozi, choose Show Tracks.
- Now the CSR trek is highlighted and all the wells and waypoints are present on whichever map I choose to use.

Here is a screenshot from my device showing EO TOPO zoomed out to show part of the southern end of the CSR trek.

Note the well numbers. They are also searchable in Name Search.

Ozi for Windows should be similar, but I don't know the icons/buttons to click.

Did you get this result?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819157

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 10:39

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 10:39
...keep in mind you have to be a member to download trek information for free. Gaynor isn't a member. Not sure what the cost is for non members.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819160

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 16:59

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 16:59
Oh hell! I should have read Gaynor's follow-up more carefully. Sorry Gaynor. But it does work well - subject to the cost of membership, it seems. Would that be worth your while, especially if you're planning other treks in the future?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819168

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 17:47

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 17:47
Hey Frank - thanks for the info.

As pointed out, this is not an option for me without incurring further costs. The option Alan gave is working. It is a way around the problem and the bonus is that I am getting lots of forced map work experience for which I am now grateful. Navigation is a weakness of mine, but now I am paying attention - and enjoying it :-)

Cheers and thank you for your input.
Gaynor
FollowupID: 819172

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 18:27

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 18:27
P.S.

I hesitate to give advise on something I am not qualified to do, but here is what I am doing at present. I am sure there is a better way, it feels a bit cumbersome. So anyone feeling informative, please feel free to streamline.

I do what Alan says above. Once I have selected all the CSR Well waypoints and they are all showing on the map, I save Waypoints to File into an Ozi Ex directory.

So from now on, each time I open OziExplorer, the EOTopo map I am working with loaded, I import my SPOT GPX tracklog file of my walk, select Show Point Control to see all the tracklog points, not just the line, I then go to -> File ->Load from File -> Load Waypoints from File and select that saved waypoint file.

This overlays on my tracklog. So now most of the info is there for me to work with in that session. After each session I have to save that Waypoint file again to preserve the new info added.

My next learning step is to import more waypoints from another device reflecting my supply drops and overlay that again and save it all to that continuously updated waypoint file.

Will see how the next bit works.

If anyone knows a better way, I am listening.

FollowupID: 819176

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 18:44

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 18:44
Hello Gaynor

Have a look at Project Manger within Ozi

Basically if you are often using the same map, track, waypoint etc files you can save them as a "Project" and then instead of having to load all the files individually just open the "Project".

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819177

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:02

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:02
Hi Gaynor,
Sounds like you have it all in hand now.
Here's another quick way.

All the CSR wells in EO places start with the string "CSR".
So enter "CSR" into the name to find box.

Then select the red dot above, this will plot all the CSR places onto the map.

The select:
Save, then
Save point to file, then
Save points to waypoint file.

This will save all those points in one waypoint file, call it what you like.

To add new other waypoints to the file, open the Waypoint list box.
Select what waypoints you want to add to the previous waypoint file.

From the waypoint list save icon, select "Append the selected waypoints to an existing file" - add chose the file.

Have fun!!!

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819179

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:11
Pure GENIUS Greg.

That little tip saves me a LOT of time! That is what I was looking for.

Alan, excellent. Thank you for the short cut. Will use next time. Just discovered the feature Append, in a slightly different way. Will try your process next time.

Gentlemen .... thank you so much.
FollowupID: 819180

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:25

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:25
..I am by no means a genius (can't speak for Alan :)...think Des (the guy who created OziExplorer) is the genius. Possibly rate as a "gentleman" at times but struggle with consistency.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819182

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 20:38
No Greg, she called you the genius, she only called me excellent lol

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819185

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 21:58

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 21:58
..how about we go halves :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819189

Sponsored Links