Bloomfied crossing

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 19:38
ThreadID: 108451 Views:1968 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to be leaving Daintree in a couple of days and heading up the Bloomfield track, is anyone up there at the moment, and if so what is the track and in particular the Bloomfield river crossing like ?
They tell me its only crossable at Low tide, and then its still deep and fast ?.
Don't want to drive all the way to the crossing only to find we cant cross.
Cheers
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bludge - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:38

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 20:38
Dave,

Its been running around 600mm at low tide. Mike D'Arcy has been through with his tours, (200 series), I have crossed at that depth, Just be careful.

But to be sure call the Wujal Wujal council on 07 4083 9100

AnswerID: 534821

Reply By: tommo05 - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 22:31

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 22:31
Apparently this won't be an issue in the near future... this photo is from about two months ago

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534825

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:10

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 09:10
Be careful. I have seen a Landcruiser head down stream when they tried to cross at mid tide.
Any if the tied isn't all the way out you can always sit on the bank and play with crockodiliaks, they like tourists.
Hopefully your not towing anything. Check at the Lions Den Pub for current information.
I have crossed it a couple of times and probably wont do it again
PeteM (Qld)
AnswerID: 534841

Reply By: D-Max Dave - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 15:44

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 15:44
Thanks Guys
We are at Daintree now and have spoken to some people about the Bloomield river crossing and the bloomfield track in general.
General opinion is that the the bloomfield track is not a good option, espesially if towing a trailer, it has been severely damaged after heavy rain and is deeply rutted and very wet.
I think we will go around via mossman towards Cooktown and down to The Lions Den, from there we make take a liitle drive south and check the crossing out.
We may have a go at the bloomfield track on our way back down from the tip.
Cheers
Dave
AnswerID: 534870

Reply By: me POD! - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 21:09

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 21:09
Like most 'variable' roads and tracks, you should be OK Dave as long as you check for low tide and contact a local as stated above prior to leaving. We stayed at the lovely Cape Trib Camp Ground last year for 5 days and did the trip up and back the Bloomfield to Cooktown on one rather long but really enjoyable day in our Subaru Forester and didnt look like haveing a problem. But, the tides were small (midway between full and no moon cycle) and crossings not too rough at the time.
Regards, Paul
AnswerID: 535278

Sponsored Links