Which Tablet for best results with EOTopo

Submitted: Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 21:39
ThreadID: 108465 Views:3233 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Thought it was about time I upgraded my electronic maps so just bought EOTopo Android version. Interested in your thoughts as to which 10" Android tablet is considered to give good results to run the maps on. When asking computer sales people "does this tablet have GPS or aGPS" I get a blank stare. It's sad to think we now live in an age where sales people no longer consider it necessary to know the produce they sell.
Cheers all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 22:04

Monday, Jun 23, 2014 at 22:04
G'day Oldfosil (from one to another)
I use an ACER Iconia 501A (I think that's right). It's a few years old but I still find it works very well. I use OziEplorer Android on it with heaps of Hema, Westprint and EOTopo maps.
I remember when I was looking that the ASUS Transformer had a metal case that interfered with the performance of the GPS - this may not be the situation now but worth asking the question if you are looking at different brands.
I have found the Whirlpool forums are good for this sort of this search e.g. if you google something like "whirlpool forum tablet gps" there's some okay reading to be found.
I guess the only other thing is to make sure you get one with a GPS and don't be fooled into getting one that is WiFi only.
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534896

Follow Up By: Member - 0ldfosil - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 13:05

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 13:05
Thanks for your ideas, I've been using Ozi with a variety of maps for quiet a few years on a laptop that usually just sits on the passenger seat. As stated in the heading of my thread I thought it was time to upgrade to a tablet and mount it somewhere better than the passenger seat. What I'm realy after is the names and models of tablets people have that are proven to work where there is no phone signal. I've just returned a tablet that advertises in it's specs it has 3G and a GPS but no matter what I did I couldn't get a variety of nav programs to find the GPS. I looked at a Sony Xperia Z yesterday which was impressive but when I checked the specs on line it states the GPS is in fact an aGPS so how does that work without a phone signal. ?

Still interested in your comments as to what works and what doesn't in the 1% of Australia (according to Telstra) that doesn't have mobile phone coverage.
FollowupID: 818706

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 13:36

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 13:36
Oldfosil,

That 1% of Australia relates to the population, not area.

Don't know how much of the area is covered but I doubt if it's much more than 20-30%. Someone smarter than I could work it out from Telstra's coverage map?

Bob(and another old fossil)

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 818710

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 13:41

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 13:41
I could stand to be corrected by more learned observers but ... my tablet only has assisted GPS - it works fine - but if I had a SIM card in it and a mobile signal it might get a fix a bit faster that's all. I also have a Motorola phone with aGPS - the GPS works fine without a SIM card in it.
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase

FollowupID: 818711

Follow Up By: Member - 0ldfosil - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 14:20

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 14:20
That's the type of info I'm after.

I'd rather be part of the 1% of population not covered than the 70/80% land mass not covered.
FollowupID: 818714

Follow Up By: Bludge - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 17:51

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 17:51
Oldfosil,

The WiFi only Sony Xperia Z has GPS, the 3G Sony Xperia Z has aGPS. which works well without mobile coverage.

FollowupID: 818737

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 07:32

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 07:32
There are two things to consider.

The Android Tablet must have a built-in GPS. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with both GPS and Wi-Fi. (The Wi-Fi is handy if you want to connect to the Internet via a wireless Modem, but has nothing directly to do with functionality of the mapping system)

Secondly, you need to run a mapping system which uses the EOTopo maps as input reference. Just about everyone runs OziExplorer (for Android).

You may also like to consider an 8" tablet which is big enough to view maps, etc. but is a little more compact than the 10" tablets. Samsung also make these.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534900

Follow Up By: 489 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:54
yep, i will agree with you, as I find the resolution of the galaxy is great compared to some of the other androids that are available. you don't need to pay extra plans to have a sim card. I just tap into the missus smartphone whilst on route and the daughter can find out our location because of the gps. She has set up mine to be the same copy as her tablet as she aslo 4wds with the family. Now I can kept tabs on her ha ha.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818702

Follow Up By: WBS - Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 08:57

Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 08:57
I too agree with you. I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 without any dramas. I think it is too big to mount up front on the dashboard so I'm looking for an excuse to get the 7" version. Till then I'll revert to my old 7"GPS running Windows CE.
WBS
FollowupID: 818844

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 17:44

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 17:44
I have a Samsung Galaxy tab 3, 7" running Ozi Android with the EOTopo and also Copilot for street navigaiton. It works well and is a lot lighter to mount than my 10" tablet.

Cheers

Pete
FollowupID: 819171

Reply By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:26

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:26
As a general rule all tablets have WiFi but only the ones with 3G capability (i.e. you can put a SIM card in them) have GPS. Note: this is a general rule only. I have found that Oziexplorer for android is pretty good software for all the maps I use.
cheers
Suitcase

AnswerID: 534906

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:58

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:58
only for Apple (pay more get less, no sd card either )

youd be hard pressed to find a name brand wifi android tablet that doesnt have GPS
FollowupID: 818704

Reply By: Bludge - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:07

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:07
Old fosil,

What RUK42 has said is correct, although this has changed in the last few years (product generations) and tablets with aGPS are quicker to locate with network help, but work fine without network coverage.

I would suggest using a website like GSM Arena to check out if your intended tablet has a GPS. (see thread 108452 as an example).
All 3G tablets in general will have aGPS. But more and more WiFi only units have GPS in them.

It used to be that an aGPS had a poorer GPS and used the mobile network to supplement finding a location.

I personally have the Sony Xperia Z WiFi model which has a GPS and it works perfectly for EOTopo, HEMA maps using Memory Maps and OziExpolrer.
If I am in mobile range and wish to get on the internet, I just tether to my mobile phone.

Good luck finding your tablet

AnswerID: 534909

Follow Up By: Bludge - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 17:48

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 17:48
Just a quick follow up although I have a Sony Xperia Z WiFi which has a GPS, (The 3G one has aGPS) I brought y wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 lite (7inch) from Big W for $178.00 and yes it has a GPS.

As I mentioned in my last post the new generation tablets seem to have PS even if there is no 3G ability.

FollowupID: 818735

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 18:51

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 18:51
Oldfossil
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab3, in 7 inch version. I reckon 10 inch would be better though

I have had a lot of trouble,, some of it self inflicted, but have now a fully working system, and can successfully use off road navigation without a stress attack!!
I would recommend the Samsung, but acknowledge that there are many passionate users out there who are very happy with their solutions.
I use Ozi for Android, EOzi, and EOtrackme, all working well. I say this with satisfaction, as I have had a lot of problems getting another product to work on Android. Depending on what you are running, check the sites help for Andriod devices, I can confirm that some are not user friendly.
I purchased the 100 K maps thru Ozi, and the 200/250k maps thru EO, both good
Also OZI and a usb GPS for my laptop

Good luck with your new tablet, they just get better and better. Don't skimp on the model, the biggest memory is best, along with the biggest available sim card (mine was 64gig, it may be bigger by now. Maps take a bit of volume, as does the more involved apps
As far as 3/4G models, I don't see them as necessary, wireless works faster, is free at some places, works at home, and, if you are serious, you can have in your car. I run a modem (4g) that spits out a wireless signal in the truck, perfect for the truck and van. The difference is that everyone in the camp gets wireless!

Jim
AnswerID: 534939

Follow Up By: Member - 0ldfosil - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:43
Thanks Jim thats just the sort of info I'm looking for.
FollowupID: 818754

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:21

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:21
Just set up a mate with a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 wifi only which has a GPS and everything is working fine. He mounts his on his dash and we travel some bumpy outback roads where there is no phone signal.

Just come from Katherine - Roper Bar - Borroloola - and across the gulf to Normanton and then on to Atherton. Plenty of use and it worked fine.

Alan
AnswerID: 534941

Follow Up By: Al-one - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:48
Hello Everyone,
Steer clear of the Nexus 7 2013 model for use as a GPS navigator. Although it has an inbuilt GPS module it is very unreliable. I had one for three weeks and took it back for a refund. Just do a google search on Nexus 7 GPS issues.
Cheers,
Al-one
FollowupID: 818747

Follow Up By: Member - 0ldfosil - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:45

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:45
Great information, just the type of country I travel through, and 1 to steer clear of.
FollowupID: 818755

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:31

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:31
It's a bit dated; last year but Choice did a very extensive review last year.

Which resulted in me purchasing the recommended ASUS TF300 which I've been very happy with (this unit has a dockable keyboard so it can function as if it was a laptop).
You may be able to access the mag at a local library?

Cheers,
AnswerID: 534958

Sponsored Links