Co-Incidences

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 18:57
ThreadID: 108476 Views:2415 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
One of the great things about forums like this is there bringing to-gether of like minded people and recently we have had another good example.
I'm interested to hear of others experiences about unlikely coming to-gethers.

I was quite suprized for example a couple of years ago when after being cut off by flood waters myself and Howard ACT were forced to strike out on a 65km uncharted run down the wrong side of Eyre creek and after days in the bush we popped out at a crossing and the first human we came across was Stephen L , whom I'd never meet, paddling in the creek.

But last week we had another amazing co-incidence.

This was prompted by a post by IdlerChris about a GPS problem, I provided some feedback and Chris thought he'd follow up with me.

Months ago Muzbry and I began a Coffee club to get Exploroz Oz'ers together and this proved to be just the venue to discuss it further and Chris came along for the first time.

We all had a great 3hr discussion and went home, but something kept nagging Chris.

Then after several days he woke up at 3am and the penny had dropped.

He sent me an email along the lines of "Were you at Astor/Philips in 1967 "

I was, and I was amazed.

47 years ago Astor (Radio Corporation - now Philips) embarked on a brave venture.

They brought what we believe was the first of a new invention, it was called a Computer.

An IBM mainframe model 360/30 with a sizzling 16,000 bytes of ferrite core memory.

This machine cost a staggering $1,000,000 dollars and thems 1967 dollars.

Chris and I joined the company at about the same time and worked on the project one floor apart without ever knowing each other, me Engineering and he Finance.

We crossed paths several times over the next 20 years but still never really got to know each other until the Exporoz meeting and subsequent contacts just last week.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:06

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:06
When my kids were in early high school, I took them on a road trip to Uluru. We stopped and pitched a tent in Port Augusta (close on 2000kms from home), and the 2 kids that popped their head out of the tent next door were from the same high school as mine. One was in my eldest son's class. They hadn't told each other of the trip beforehand. There was some strange energy about that day... :-)
AnswerID: 534940

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:00

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:00
Thats surely a co-incidence Mike , I suspect from our experiences that something like that makes the kids more enthusiastic for the holiday as well.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818758

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 08:49

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 08:49
sounds like a beer commercial!
FollowupID: 818787

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:35

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:35
February just passed we spent a month at a caravan park in Walpole on the south coast of WA. Terrible place, you wouldn't want to go there...(;=)).

We had been there for a couple of days when another couple started backing their van in next door. Didn't think much about it at the time. Anyway, a while later, as I was walking to our car the guy was sitting under his awning and called out to me to inquire if we were still in the locality shown on our licence plate. I said we were and looked at his car and noticed we were from the same area. I then asked him where he lived. Stone the flaming crows he lived on a street just at the back of us. We actually share a common part of a back fence. We had never met even though we lived about 100 meters from each other. We have since struck up a friendship and seem to all be pretty much of the same mindset. It turns out that his son and the son of the couple next door to us play cricket together.
Small world.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 534942

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 14:35

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 14:35
Your story reminders me to go around and see a neighbour Pop.

His property shares a 1m of fence with us out the back.

I noted he has a Tvan parked there - and could even be on this site !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818809

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 19:57
On our 2006 1/2 block tour we were camped at a caravan park in Katherine. Next to us was a guy washing his old camper van. Got talking as you do and had a few beers etc. Turns out he was from NZ and keeps the camper stored in Qld for when he's in Aus. We left after a few days and went up to Darwin, Kakadu, etc and eventually back down to Katherine on our travels further south. We end up pitching the tent next to this couple all over again. Anyway as we were about to leave I gave him my business card. He takes one look at where I work and says do you know so and so. Turns out he and his wife are very good friends of my first boss when from when I joined Local Government. Very small world we live in.

Guy I used to work with was touring England and was staying in a B & B and like many people in other lands they have the perception that Aus is very small and we know everybody. The owner of the B & B asked where they were from (Perth), and this woman says you wouldn't happen to know so and so, in Melbourne.

Turns out that the guy from work's wife was born in Victoria and the person being asked about was her old next door neighbour. Go figure.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534951

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 19:47

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 19:47
I'm sure quite a few relationships have been started by that process of generally heading it the same direction as someone else and ending up camping near them , one day they start early and get ahead , the next you start earlier and catch up - part of the fun of travel I guess.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818830

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:15

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:15
One's brain is an amazing thing.
At 70 years of age I am forever forgetting where I leave my keys, wallet, etc.
I go to the Coffee Club for the first time and sit opposite a bloke who seemed to resemble someone I might know. At my age trying to remember faces is very hard and I thought he probably resembles some actor or something and I just can't remember who.
Over the next 3 or 4 days it kept coming back to me who does that bloke look like. Then at 3:30 one morning I woke up thinking he may have worked at Astor/Philips where I worked from 1967 to 1987. What is unusual here is I had no recollection of this bloke, where he may have worked, what his job was, or ever having met him, yet my mind was telling me he worked at Philips. I emailed this bloke who is Robin Miller and sure enough my brain was right. We did in fact work in different parts of the organisation and would have had no reason to have any interaction with each other, other that maybe a hello while passing in a passage way.
So why is it I cannot remember where the wallet I had a few hours ago is, yet I remember a face that I have hardly ever seen and which I last saw some 30 years ago? And why did it nag at me for four days before the penny dropped? And when the penny did drop my mind was quite confident it was right but all logic was telling me you hardly ever knew him so how is it possible to remember after all this time. As I said at the start the human brain is an amazing thing sometimes.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534953

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:35

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:35
I also ask myself how did my brain/subconscious know that I had met Robin before. In 30 odd years I dare say his appearance has changed, neither of us ever remember talking to each other so how can it be a familiar voice, and there is nothing unusual about the name Robin Miller. For a person who believes nothing unless it can be proven with facts, and has little time for the so called supernatural, I have found this whole episode is quite eerie.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818753

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:54

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:54
We are going to have to explore this some more Chris , try and narrow it down - I also listen to nothing but facts and evidence - but as you say we change but underneath there must be some basic clues/reasons.

By the way I misplaced my keys tonight - do you know where they are ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818757

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:09

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:09
Ask me in 30 years time I am bound to know by then.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818760

Reply By: BarryMcKenzie - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 22:58

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 22:58
It's a small world, but you wouldn't want to paint it......
AnswerID: 534965

Reply By: Member - Terry W3 - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 22:11
Great Story Guys !
I was born in Townsville and our family moved to the Territory shortly after my birth. Once growing up in the NT, my brother was best mates with the local Doctors son and with time I also became friends. Fast forward and Appling for a pass port to travel overseas, and needed my birth certificate, and when looking over it, I notice the same surname as my friend. We soon discovered my friends father and I had meet before in the delivery room 20 yrs earlier. Small world !!
AnswerID: 535014

Reply By: Slow one - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 20:01

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 20:01
Pulled into Dajarra today and because the powered camp fe was a massive $10 we went up to the pub to give the local publican some support.

Well 2 things happened. Firstly if Bob Y reads this we met an old drover that had pushed a mob from WA to Winton in the late 60's. He is in his 80's and was something to listen to.

We were getting ready to leave when 2 rigs pulled up and out stepped a fella I hadn't seen for years. We had a great reunion and reminisced over old times, or drowned in alcohol might be a better explanation.
AnswerID: 535111

Sponsored Links