Road signage- Camerons Crn to Innaminka via Omicron and Epsilon

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 20:40
ThreadID: 108479 Views:1771 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up to the hopefully warmer parts later this week.
How good is the road signage for the above trip . I know there are a lot of gas roads out there.
Is the main drag easy enough to follow or will I need to get out the topomaps and make up a plot file.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:06
I was just reading about one of your adventures in Robin Miller's last post so I thought I would give you my answer.
I am about to head of to do a double crossing of the Simpson and end up in Innaminka around late July. I am thinking of going down the same road as you are planning.
What I most definitely will be doing is creating a plt file. Out in the never never I leave nothing to chance. Signs can be removed or worse still turned around. I have far more faith in my Garmin 276C and Oziexplorer than any road signage.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534956

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 23:07

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 23:07
Hi Idler Chris,
its not that I worried about being out in the never never its just that I know from previous trips around that area just how many intersections/roads end up around the gas wells.
I will be running oziexplorer on gps but if i want a pretty line to follow rather than just know where i've been. I need to do plot file on laptop at home and load into gps before leaving.

BTW I have a daughter in melbourne and still trying to get down the correct week of month to make a coffee club gathering.the stars will align one day.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818774

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 00:00
Well that would be great, I dare say you and Robin will have a bit to catch up on. I am leaving home soon to do a double crossing of the Simpson, Innaminka area, ABH, Maralinga, Plumrose Lakes, Holland Track, Albany to name the main places. Probably won't get home until Nov or even Dec, hopefully make the December meeting. Have a great trip.
cheers,
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818781

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:34
Howard, I have been through there when I worked in that area with Santos but it has been some time ago, and before any signage.

Generally in those areas, signage is restricted to identification of tracks to specific wells and installations and not designed for the benefit of tourists. So if you avoid turning into any such tracks you should be OK. The main drag looks no different from the side tracks.

You can get growled at by a Santos driver if you are down any side tracks to installations as they are considered "private roads". Just be contrite and say sorry!
At the worst, you may find yourself at a dead-end so ensure you remember how you came in and reverse track.

There won't be much traffic so be sure you are independently competent.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 534960

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 22:51

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 22:51
Thanks for that Allan,
I will work on the same basis as walkers crossing. ie.the thru road is the one that doesnt say no entry/private road.

Had a look at the Santos to Epsilon road last year but ended up heading north thru Orientos and into Innaminka from the east

Just looking for a different way to get from A to B.

will have another vehicle with me this trip although set up for and used to solo travel.
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 818772

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 06:55

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 06:55
"There won't be much traffic so be sure you are independently competent."

Hah!!! Sometimes a drive out there is a bit like a drive in the outer suburbs of Brisbane. Cheers Toni
FollowupID: 818783

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 09:07

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 09:07
Ah Toni, As I said, it has been a few years since I spent time there so I guess things have changed. The solitude was one of the attractions.
Toolachi was my base for a time and never once saw a tourist there.

But being "independently competent" isn't a bad idea anyway?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 818790

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 09:31
Oh yes, travellers should be prepared for everything the outback an old mother can come up with, that's for sure!
FollowupID: 818792

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 09:32
Howard, I guess that from Epsilon you will head through Dullingari and up the Bore Track to Innamincka. That's a nice drive, but it's a pity that the southern section of the Bore Track through Bollard's Station is now closed.

Actually there are a couple of tracks from Epsilon through to the Bore Track a bit South of Dullingari. I could probably find them if I were out there but could not now give you directions. Someone else may? Must go for a drive around there again.

In general, I don't rely much on signs anywhere but put faith in Topomaps. I don't prepare a plot file either as it's too much trouble and may spoil the spontaneity and discovery. Just keep an eye on the moving map.

Have a great trip.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 534972

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 16:53

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 16:53
another cold day in canberra so Ifired up the laptop and uploaded a plot file to the sd card in the gps
hopefully that keeps us on track.
thanks to those who replied
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 534986

Sponsored Links