transfer waypoint files android to android

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 21:03
ThreadID: 108480 Views:3277 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.Anyone know how to transfer waypoint files android to android. Tracks are easy you just copy and paste with both units connected to a pc. You can can copy and paste the whole waypoint file but it does not open like the tracks do. Just downloaded the carnarvon ranges trek off this site in oziexplorer format and the track opens fine but not the waypoints. Did email Des at ozi but you need to be a guru to understand the answer. The waypoints are in the right format .wpt file and work fine on the unit they were originally marked on.
For anyone starting on android it also seems with the new kogan phones you have to load the software on the internal memory but the maps can go on the sd card .Thats what i did as the maps take up all the space anyway and it reads ok.
cheers Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 1533rl - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 22:05
Graeme,
I can't fault how you transfer your files, but if I have any of my androids connected to my pc, I just use windows explorer and click and drag files from one device to the other (as opposed to copy and paste). For android (gps tablet) to android tablet and vice-versa I just use bluetooth.
All my devices using oziexplorer recognise the track.plt and waypoint .wpt files regardless of the device they originate from. It does seem a bit odd that you can move the track files but not the waypoint files using the same method.
Is it just the files you have downloaded in your post that you are having trouble with or is it waypoint files in general ?
Cheers
Peter
AnswerID: 534962

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 23:36

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2014 at 23:36
Hi 1533rl. For some reason the waypoint file from the zipped file downloaded as a .wba waypoint file and not a .wpt file as it should be for ozi. Copied back to the pc ,changed to .wpt copied back to device and now works. The track unzipped as a .plt so maybe the waypoints were just in the wrong format .Good that you can just change them like that allthough it took some figuring out.

Cheers graeme.
FollowupID: 818779

Follow Up By: 1533rl - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 20:06

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2014 at 20:06
Well done and thanks for feeding back the solution
Cheers
Peter
FollowupID: 818831

Reply By: masterA - Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 16:46

Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 16:46
Where did you download the file from Graeme?
AnswerID: 535045

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 18:29

Thursday, Jun 26, 2014 at 18:29
Hi MasterA.
From the treks on this site for oziexplorer and it downloaded as a zipped file. When I unzipped the file one was a .plt and the other a .wba or similar cant remember the exact name. Just changed it to .wpt and it works fine.It was downloaded to a pc then copied to a new kogan phone with ozi on it. The kogan does some things differently to the Samsung I have ,like putting all the tracks and waypoints in the same place in the my files storage under the oziexplorer file I just made a tracks and waypoint file in there and copy them in when they build up to make things easy to find. You can find them in the program but they wont go in there.
cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 818885

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:14

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:14
Hi MasterA. Just noticed that the android devices store waypoints in the my files, oziexplorer data file as. wba files. You cant read them like the tracks when connected to a pc and they are all stored in one file as waypoints. wba eg50kbs. Its only when you import them through the software as a. wpt that you can then read them the only when you have ozi running . Ive tried to find a way to read them by downloading a program from the web but unsuccessfull so far. For example when you copy the unzipped file of the carnarvon ranges to. wpt file to myfiles, ozi,data, it comes as one small file but when imported with the device running the software there are lots of waypoints and if you go to one of them click on it and press edit properties you can see a whole page of info including a name of the. waypoint. Ozi is a great programe but this has taken me hours to figure out and there doesnt seem to be a step by step tutorial for it. It could just be me, im only a computer dummy. Hope this helps someone else. If some one can find a programe to read and edit the waypoints through a pc that would be great.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 818916

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 17:38

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 17:38
Hello Graeme

Not 100% sure of the problem you were having but keep in mind that Ozi for Android and Ozi for CE both store waypoints in a binary format (assume because its faster to load etc?) - file names have .wba as extension. To use (open/view) these files on Ozi PC you must first open in Ozi Android/CE and save as *.wpt (an ascii (text) format).

So you dont need another programme to read the waypoint file...you already have it - OziExplorer Android/CE/PC :) As mentioned you just need to save your waypoints as *.wpt.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 818933

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 19:03

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 19:03
Hi Greg.
Had worked all that out finally. The problem is for those without the software on a pc you cant connect your device to a pc and read the waypoints from the file menu on your device only when you have device running the software. Even the device wont read the waypoints without the software running. You can read the tracks and delete etc but not the waypoints.I think.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 818940

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:17

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:17
No worries - its does take a while to get your head around the data format/file saving methodology used by various gps mapping software/gps units - certainly can become a nightmare. First rule is to back up all files before fiddling with them :)

Ozi went the binary file format for waypoints (and track tail) with OziCe ~2008, which from memory, also had me confused for a while. To make it slightly harder Ozi CE and Ozi Android appear to use different binary file formats - *.wba for CE (e.g.Hema Nav) and *.wpb for Ozi Android.

As discussed you have to export your waypoints from Ozi CE/Android to *.wpt format to be able to open them in all three of the Ozi variations. Not that hard but not that user friendly.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 818996

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:38

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 20:38
Hi Greg.
Thanks for your input and advice. Being able to use a big screen with ozi certainly negates the need for a stand alone gps for us anyway. I have a couple of magellons that never get used now. Its also great being able to download some of the treks off this site. At least we will know where we are and going to at the Carnarvon ranges next month as the waypoints are all named although there is some signage that has just been put up I believe. Will post a report when we get back.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 819000

Sponsored Links