Camping at the Dig Tree

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1085 Views:6006 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone tell me whether there is camping allowed at the Dig Tree, or at least closer than Innamincka?

Thanks Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00
Was there the other day (while camped on the Cooper at Cullyamura waterhole). You can camp at the dig tree - might cost a few dollars more than the $11 entry fee per vehicle - not sure. Small toilet block at the dig tree - couple of hundred meters away from the camp ground (by the entry gate).
You can also camp up by the Burke and Wills bridge - plenty of people do - is 14km up stream from the Dig tree (have to go past here anyway, on the way in from Innamincka.
By the way - where we were camped at the Cully, I reckon we were 23km crow fly from the dig tree - by road, it was a 147km round trip !!
Cute. If going soon, take plenty of aeroguard - flies were thick.dp
AnswerID: 3366

Follow Up By: Mike - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Darian, Flies are always thick around the Cooper, where-ever you camp. They are worst between about 10am & 3pm. 2 Hints, use bushman's instead of aeroguard, 100% more effective and take fly nets with you, or buy them at the innamincka Trading post, best piece of equipment you'll have in your kit.
Happy trails, Mike.
FollowupID: 1365

Follow Up By: Jinki - Monday, May 06, 2002 at 00:00

Darian - thanks for the tip about the flies and will take lots of aerogard -- have noted Steve's comment about Bushman. Hubby and I planning on being there for the Queens Birthday W/end. Do we need to purchase a Dessert Parks pass to enter the area. Sounds wonderful country. It will be our first 4wd off road, off bitumen adventure!! We are leaving our caravan at Cunnamulla and will drive west to Innamincka for about 10 days. Also, am interested to know the condition of the road from Noccundra to Innamincka if possible. Any other hints most appreciated as well.
Thanks and regards Jinki
FollowupID: 1372

Reply By: Darian - Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 07, 2002 at 00:00
Yes Jincki - - the pass is required for travel and camping anywhere in the Innamincka regional reserve, EXCEPT for those people just passing through (and they can camp only on the town common). The pass lasts for 12 months and can be renewed each year for about $60 - covers all of the desert parks in SA. The Burke and Wills sites are all worth a visit - Coongie lakes is great too - you can't have fires up there but it is worth camping up there, because the sunrises and sunsets over the lake
are quite spectacular. If you are into fishing, there are prenty of shrimp in the Cooper. The Innamincka trading post has plenty of gear now - they have expanded - lots of hardware and camping gear, plus all grocery lines (and they bake bread daily). Roads can be a catch - I have not been further east than Nappa Merrie (on the Thargominda road). The roads are all currently well graded BUT hundreds of k's of surface can still be comprised of nothing but stones ! My experience and that of other people I talk to is that sensible driving is the key to saving your tyres. The second factor is tyre choice. I use BF Goodrich, but many others will do, as long as they have good ply ratings. You should discuss that with your tyre dealer (as long as he/she knows about outback conditions!). You should consider two spare wheels, if you have the space. Unfortunately, having good tyres and driving sensibly can still sometimes lead to a damaged tyre that will mystify you - but that's the outback. Drive to the eastern end of the Cullyamura waterhole too and walk the 2 km down to the "choke" - there are some interesting aboriginal rock carvings and grinding holes down there, southern side of the actual choke - just hunt for them in the rocks, mainly on the eastern face. Lot of tortoises in the water too.
Have a good one. - dp
AnswerID: 3383

Reply By: Gordon - Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00
Steve, on our Alice Springs trip in May last year, we drove through Innamicka from Brisbane (via Thargominda, Nockundra, Jackson(oil field), Naccowlah(oil field), Nappamarrie, Dig Tree) and camped at the Dig Tree. The road becomes dirt when you cross the Cooper not far past the Nacowlah oil felds. Take it easy, because the road is strewn with big gibbers. Be prepared for the odd flat tyre. (We picked up a PK screw in one tyre.) Near the Dig Tree there are lovely camp sites available for a small fee (honour system). One nice touch was that it was supervised by a guy who delivered firewood to our site - no extra charge. Flies were a problem at lunch time only. Regards, Gordon.
AnswerID: 3406

Sponsored Links