Cania Gorge

Submitted: Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:16
ThreadID: 108509 Views:3672 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
The following photo's may interest a lot of free campers and travellers in general. The bloke that owns this park thinks he owns the whole of the North Burnett including the Council and all the other businesses in the town of Monto. The whole story can be read on FREE CHOICE CAMPING Facebook page. My wife and I have worked at this park and needless to say we didn't stay very long as the owner and his manager have absolutely no people skills. I think all travellers should blacklist this park and show him where we stand on his little rant.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10304785_277428892430104_1306868165346645464_n.jpg489863_277428889096771_3392028045673015836_n.jpg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosss - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:21

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:21
Link doesn't want to work, anybody able to find the facebook page and post a link for me.
AnswerID: 535079

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:22

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:22
The photos are of the letter this bloke sent to the newspaper.
FollowupID: 818913

Reply By: Member - Rosss - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:47

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 10:47
Try This.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=277428889096771&set=pcb.277444785761848&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=277428892430104&set=pcb.277444785761848&type=1&theater
AnswerID: 535080

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 16:51

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 16:51
Have a read here, more about Mr Rankin and his monopoly :- www.caravanningnews.com
FollowupID: 819167

Reply By: Polaris - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 13:18

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 13:18
I wrote to Big4 after reading this on 24th June.
"
This paid advertising appears in the South Burnett Times Thursday may 29th 2014.

From what I'm reading and word of mouth it seems that motorhomers and caravaners look like boycotting the town and all the businesses who have signed the complaint.

Does Big 4 condone this type of muck raking.

I am a Big 4 member, but will be reconsidering my membership at renewal time."

HERE IS THE RESPONSE FROM BIG4 - same day.
"
Dear Mr XXXXXX
BIG4 Holiday Parks holds an apolitical view in regard to free camping.
We are marketing franchise. Our purpose is to promote the attractive offerings of the 180+ BIG4 Holiday Parks located across Australia.
However, we appreciate that people want all sorts of options in regard to their enjoyment of the great outdoors – and that they have the right to choose options that suit them.
BIG4 Holiday Parks was not aware that its brand was being included in the advertisement placed by Peter Rankin from Cania Gorge Holiday Park on 23rd June 2014 in the Central and North Burnett Times.
BIG4 Holiday Parks would like to assert it does not share the views of Peter Rankin and we are disappointed that this branded advertisement was placed without consultation.
This action it is not in the spirit of our organisation and we are discussing this directly with the individual park involved.

Regards

Kari Hunter
Acting CEO/
Executive General Manager - Brand Strategy

BIG4 Holiday Parks of Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 543, Camberwell VIC 3124
P: 03 9811 9300
F: 03 9815 0076
E: info@big4.com.au

I think by now Mr Rankine would have been put in his place well and truly.
AnswerID: 535089

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:25

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:25
While Peter Rankin's injudicious decision to place a sour grapes letter in the South Burnett Times has had very widespread distribution and discussion on the internet, tearing him further apart will not advance the cause of the hard working businesses in the town of Monto. There is a lengthy discussion on this on the Carvanners Forum.

Mr Rankin's caravan park is 35 kilometres from the town of Monto, and there is another caravan park nearby at Cania Gorge which has received very good reviews. Compare them on Badger's.

Monto is town which has been hard hit in many ways. Monto Magic Tourism Action Group has said

"Our town has suffered badly from the 2011 and then the 2013 floods as well as the closure of several industries that were the lifeblood of the community and welcome the support of the many tourists who pass through on their journey to faraway places."

Call in and see if you are passing that way on the Burnett Highway.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 535117

Reply By: John and Regina M - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:35

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:35
He's got some good points though.
Whilst he may not be the most diplomatic writer, I agree with him.
AnswerID: 535118

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:15

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:15
i agree with you on the good points he makes, i can understand where he's coming from, but having stayed at his park over the recent Easter period i know he's not the most diplomatic of persons with the way he approaches things...lol.
As was said above...Cania Gorge and it's surrounds is a fantastic area to visit, i wouldn't let this one person put you off visiting Monto and it's surrounds or you'll be missing out on a beautiful part of Australia to see. There's the gorge itself to walk, the drive to Kroombit Tops National Park and see the crashed Liberator bomber (Beautiful Betsy), and the Monal Goldfields is not far away either, you can even fish the dam from the shoreline or by boat aswell...plenty to see and do about the place.
FollowupID: 818965

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:34

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:34
This guy is typical of certain people who BUY large expensive franchises.

BIG4 is a high priced chain...no doubt about it.....these people who simply rufuse to compete on price will bleat all they like about anything that gives people an alternative to their high priced sites.

This guy wont be seeig the cost concious camper with their modest set ups.

In times past there was camping right at the dam wall.....to this fellows delight that is a thing of the past.

This bloke thinks people come to the area specifically to use his swings and bounce on his jumping pillow.....there are plenty better and closer places to do that.
Those who go to Cania because of the place that it is.....to witness its wonders, walk it tracks and fish in the dam, will be better served patronising the competing caravan park just down the road.

People who want to stay in monto for one night or more are hardly likley to drag themselves all the way to cania gorge where there is no TV reception and no mobile phone reception , no supermarkets, hardware or camping shop, no liquer outlet and nothing else

This blokes attitude is far from uncommon among Caravan park owners.....they push to have any lower priced or free alternative closed for their own personal benifit.

They do not wish to sell their product well, they do not wish to admit that their business it not meeting the predominant need, many of them do not wish to admist that their businesses are just not viable in their existing form.....there will be a few who do not wish to admit that theyare suckers that baught a dying or marginally viable business.

They have no interest in serving the public, just in their own wallet.

Obvioulsy their operations are not competitive or value for money......if it was not so they would have no problem competing on the basis of providing better facilities than the lower priced and free options.

There used to be a similar muppet operating the only caravan park on frazer island at the time ...that caravan park also had the only store on the island in the day.

he refuesed to let people use his toilets ...the only real toilets for miles....unless they where paying for a site in his caravan park.
Toilets that BTW where right down on the road near the shop and not in the middle or the back of the CVP as is usual.

He was too bloddy minded to realise that a great many people baught stuff in his store because they where attracted there by the toilets.

OR that he was selling food and drink..in large volume but refuesd to deal with the inevitable waste resulting from the consumption of his fizzy drinks, icecreams and chips sold at well over the odds.

for many it was a package deal.....the destination was his store the only place on the island that you could buy an icecream, a cold drink or a packet of chips and one of the few places you could sit on a moderately civilised toilet.

An operator with vision would have capitolised on the situation by expanding the toilet facilities and painting the walls inside and out with advertising for chips, drinks and icecreams.

yeh...no vision.

cheers
AnswerID: 535160

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:42

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 22:42
Top post, Bantam.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 819015

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 17:26

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 17:26
A BS post Bantam,

How can you say he refuses to compete on price when the alternative campsite is being set up by the Council, to whom he pays a bucketload of money in rates and taxes.

As for refusing to let non guests use his toilet, I agree with him. Many a business person has done that in the past, including me, and then found discarded needles in the toilet.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819169

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 22:03
Obvioulsy another business genius.

In this particular case the proposed council option is many Km away
In fact cannias is about 35 km and half an hours drive from Monto.

Any council offerings..IE free camping areas will not be offering powered sites, kitchen facilities and "the whole tourist park experience".

That fact that most people who gow to places like Cania could not care less that the CVP has a golf course or a jumping pillow is beside the point.

It is a typical case of a business owner who simply wants to winge because someone provides an alternative to their over priced offering...Like Jerry Harvey did with on line sales.

Nobody seems to have mentioned that there is in fact a caravan park in Monto...that has been there for a very long time....and more reasonably priced than the "big 4 resort" over 30Km away in cania gorge.......they don't seem to be bleating about the councils plans.

As for letting non guests use the toilet.......suringes have not a single thing to do with this argument.....in this day and age there should be some sort of sharps disposal in every public toilet

Back to the situation on frazer as it was.

remember in the day this was the only shop on the island, and did a great deal of business......AND as I said the toilet was a major tourist attraction.....AND positioned close to the road....as iff to be a public attraction.
A very different situation to almost every other caravan park.

AND almost without exception those using this muppets toilets where his customers.

NOW...consider McDonalds......they know and recognise that their toilets are a major attraction for customers...they know damn well that people go to McDonalds to use the toilet and it contributes greatly to customet traffic and meals sold.

cheers
FollowupID: 819190

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2014 at 23:10
Bantam, you have no idea.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819194

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)