Garmin's do not bounce

Just 4 days away from a three month plus outback journey I was programming my trusty Garmin 276C. As I will be staying a night at the Clare CP I put all the details of it in too. I then went out on to my balcony at home to get a fix and see how far it was. My Garmin is 10 years old and is a bit slow at getting a fix if not used every day so I sat it the balcony rail which is 14cm or 5" wide. A gust of wind came from nowhere, no doubt ably assisted by Mr Murphy, and do I have to say what happen next.

While most will probably sympathize with my plight "The Explorer" Greg is likely to be saying good riddance to bad rubbish. LOL
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 17:57

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 17:57
Hi

Bummer...I dropped my TwoNav Aventura on a rock the other day – screen has a few funny lines on it but still works fine...just lucky I guess.

Just for the record I am pretty sure I never referred to the unit as "bad rubbish". I think they are/were a good unit. My previous comments on the subject were related to those proclaiming it as having “unique features, nothing like it on the market, best GPS ever that remains unsurpassed”…blah blah. All untrue of course. If it did everything you wanted then it is the best gps..but only for you, not necessarily anyone else.

As previously mentioned (several times) I wouldn’t bother using one as it doesn’t have facility for air photos/raster maps and is a bit bulky for carrying in your pocket…but that doesn’t make it “bad rubbish”. It is a very good unit for what it was designed to do. Other GPS units are also very good. Horses for courses.

Happy travels with your next GPS (thought you had Montana?)

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 535104

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:45

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:45
If you are inclined, I don't mean leaning to the to the left as at the fence, you can open the device and relocate the screens rubber/carbon impregnated, conductive strip so it again lines up with the gold conductors in the screen. The drop will have side shifted the screen one way.
As you open it it should be evident which way it has become and some effort to correct it may see the unit work again. Only you will know how it is constructed when after you use the can opener/screwdriver.

Held closed with pointy pliers, the aerial crack may seal and hold with a decent quality cyanoacrylate adhesive ie, super glooooo. I use Black MAX Loctite for many repairs in car stuff. everywhere it touches will become permanent BLACK so use carefully.

While working inside, switch off master switch if possible or disconnect the battery if possible.

Good luck
AnswerID: 535113

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:46

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 21:46
PS. I bet it did bounce , you just didn't see how high!
FollowupID: 818945

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:54

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:54
Ross M, what can I say, other than you are brilliant. As a tinkerer from way way back I thought after a fall of 4 metres on to concrete (and it would have bounced as it was 5 metres from where it landed) that it would be terminal so did not even contemplate opening it up and having a look. Your post prompted me to say what the hell lets have a go. Many years ago I got HOW TO on replacing the 3v internal battery with pictures, so I looked it up and away I went. I pretty well did as you suggested and this is the result.

Ha Ha Mr Murphy beat you this time you basxxxd. Thanks again Ross M

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535120

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 23:18

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 23:18
Is it Rimmer or Clyve?
Good Lad You have done good.

Nothing ventured nothing gained they say.

I would suggest you use a hot melt glue gun and carefully put spots of glue between the case structure and the screen side capture frame. Two reasons, any slight knock may dislodge your work and the glue being slightly elastic in nature will cushion any sudden hits, knocks.

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 818950

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 23:51

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 23:51
The penny has dropped never heard of Rimmer or Clyve. A quick google told me what you meant. No it is not but if you look closely it is actually printed.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818951

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 00:49

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 00:49
Ah Yes, I didn't connect that it would be doing that. Smart device.
FollowupID: 818952

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 16:50

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 16:50
Chris! That thing is old hat anyway, buy a new 7" screen Garmin, only one model and about $250, awesome!! You wont regret it ! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 535143

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 19:36

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 19:36
Chris could drop test it but I wonder if it would survive?
FollowupID: 818993

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 19:49

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 19:49
..same likelihood of survival as a smartphone, tablet or ipad I suspect ...and they are pretty popular tools for navigation. More important consideration is the specification/features/capabilities of "the new 7" screen Garmin". What are we actually talking about here? Does it have a name?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818994

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 08:28

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 08:28
Hi Chris

Thats lousy luck , espically with what is fast becoming an irreplaceable unit.

I'm just in from snow and read your post ,and can't even open your pictures just yet.

But if it looks like a dead loss , then you are welcome to send it to me or drop it in and I will have a look at it.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535167

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:20

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:20
Hi Robin, Snow - to cold for me.
Read all the post there is a happy ending.
The 10 year old dinosaur lives on.
I thought you must be away with no post.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819031

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:46

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:46
Wonderful Chris and thanks to Ross , that sort of fault is a very common one.
, lets hope it goes for another 10 years.

The pictures are back on Exploroz now so I can see it.

Devices built in last few years are getting even less repairable than your 276c but don't bounce it again !

I have also been running an upmarket Garmin Nuvi and it let me down in some off-road navigation yesterday but 276c came thru so I hope mine goes for another 10 years to.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 535185

Sponsored Links